Fort William

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cadairmanuk 29 Jan 2013
Hello people, I have just booked a cottage in Fort William mid April. I have never visited that time of year normally winter only. Just wondered from experience how much snow and ice will be about hoping there maybe a bit of winter action still about? I know its a how long is a piece of string type question? Is there often snow left on the ledge route, tower ridge for example?

Ben
Paul035 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

I'm afraid it is completely a how long is a piece of string type question!!

I have climbed Tower Ridge in February with barely any snow on it at all, and been on the Ben at the start of May ice climbing...

I think you will often find a lot of snow left on Tower Ridge at the start of April though, and many of the higher ice routes are great at that time (ignoring the last 2 years here).

If you need a definitive answer then my bold prediction is that we are going to have one of the best late seasons for years, with Point 5 being climbed on Star Wars Day. This is based on nothing other than sheer optimism.
 JohnnyW 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

What the man said above. I did Gardyloo the first week in May this year, with complete cover from just below Obs Ridge, but you could be rock climbing!
 AlH 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk: Same answer from me. 2012 we had a huge dump of snow in April and I've often had to help stranded walkers down icey snow patches in April.
Couple of blog entries from 2010 here:
http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/end-of-winter-not-today.html
http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/end-of-winter-not-today.html
OP Cadairmanuk 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

It's the old crystal ball question ha ha , will take all kit when we go and suck and see. Looking forward to cairngorms next month. I'm sure there will be snow and ice with clear blue skies and zero wind the week I go.

Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...