Ski Touring boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PHILD 26 Jan 2013
Hi,

Does anyone know of a roomy touring boot, that would still be useful for all other skiing. I don't do that much touring yet to warrant a super lightweight touring boot.
I am 90kg so I need a reasonable amount of stiffness.
I take a size 25.5 or 26. I have a high volume foot and issues with nerves and tendons and experience varying amounts of trouble in all footwear.
I need a boot with high instep volume and a last width of at least 100mm or after 5 or 10 mins my feet are going numb.
All of the normal piste boots in a 25.5 I have tried are no good. I tried a Scarpa Maestrale Touring boot in a 26 and as soon as the clog was closed on the loosest setting it was fantastically tight and my feet started going numb instantly!!
Has anyone any experience of the Dalbello Sherpa 5/5I.D. I would be interested to see if the Cabrio 3-piece technology is better suited to my foot.

Any help or advice anyone can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phil
 andy 26 Jan 2013
In reply to PHILD: i'd thoroughly recommend Andy Hall at Backcountry in Ilkley - decent selection of "freeride" and touring boots and they work really hard to make sure they fit.

I got Scarpa Typhoons after a 4 hour fitting. They're half a kilo per boot lighter than piste boots, come with two tongues and a piste and a moutaineering sole.
 Dave 26 Jan 2013
In reply to PHILD:

Seconded. My brother and I just bought boots from Backcountry and they do a great job of making sure that you take the right boot and that it fits. You will need plenty of time though so don't be in a hurry and arrange an afternoon off to spend in the shop.
chrisfecher 26 Jan 2013
In reply to PHILD:
I've had three sets of Virus/Sherpa boots and they are very good indeed. I've probably ski toured at least 100+ days in a virus and free-skied many more. They are quite wide and suit a wider/higher volume foot/ankle. You are spoilt for choice out there at the mo, probably best to go stick your foot in a few and see whats what. Remember that boot's can be stretched, even some touring boots, so forefoot width can be sorted as long as the rest of the fit is going to work for you.

I can highly recommend Michelle at 'Profeet' might be worth calling the store for a chat.
3414peterk 26 Jan 2013
In reply to PHILD: Backcountry are superb. It took all day to get them right, but it was worth it! best £400 i've spent on ski gear!
 Paul Crusher R 26 Jan 2013
In reply to PHILD: Garmont Endorphin are really good, can be used as a regular downhill boot, slightly less forgiving than most lightweight tourers but none the less really good for touring. Totally bombproof. Rate mine highly. Do they do them anymore? I don't know actually.
 Paul Crusher R 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Paul R: Yes they do Paul £450 new
 Morgan Woods 29 Jan 2013
In reply to PHILD:
> Hi,
>

> Has anyone any experience of the Dalbello Sherpa 5/5I.D. I would be interested to see if the Cabrio 3-piece technology is better suited to my foot.
>

I have just bought a pair but not used them in anger (but can report back in 3 weeks . I have used a pair of full tilt classics for the last 2 trips and found them good but a bit too narrow (99mm last). The sherpa is 100mm but feels a bit wider. The intuition liner is great and worth getting from a shop who can heat mould. The cabrio design is a good one and reduces the amount of plastic required, has a nice even flex and is easy on/off. Not sure if you can get sherpas in the uk yet (i didn't even see them in europe) but they are not too different from the old virus.
 Morgan Woods 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods:

you might also want to consider one of the wider last full tilt (first chair maybe??). they are fine for limited slack country touring.
 blurty 29 Jan 2013
In reply to PHILD:

Another vote for Ilkley - they spent 4 hrs fitting my boots, then another 2hrs tweaking them a few weeks later.

I bought some Scarpa Maestrales - I use them on and off piste, they seem Very good/ stiff enough (6'2" 95kg)
paraffin 29 Jan 2013
In reply to PHILD:

Second / third for Backcountry in Ilkley for supberb dedicated fitting. Do not know if they do Garmont Endorphin. - I have the Tele Version Energ - and love them.
Just do not ask the staff about 75mm Norm boots - you will get the NTN party line almost literally rammed down your throat.
 blurty 29 Jan 2013
In reply to blurty:

Sorry ! Just re-read the post and saw you'd tried Maestrales. If I was you I'd go somewhere like Lockwoods, and try lots of different types of boot until you find something comfortable

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...