Recommend me a beanie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andic 25 Jan 2013
Mostly for trad some bouldering and out and about in town, I had a really nice lambs wool job from howies double layered, organic and reversible, but I shrunk it in the wash.
 crustypunkuk 25 Jan 2013
In reply to andic:
Have a look at the some of the Sherpa Gear hats- i have a wool one, and i'm very happy with it.
For climbing, under a helmet, i use an Arcteryx Rho- nice and thin but very warm too!
 Taurig 26 Jan 2013
In reply to andic:

Whoa there, I think you need to provide a bit more information. For example, what temperature range do you expect to use this beanie in? What aspects of lambs wool did you find adequate, and what did you find lacking? Would you consider non-organic fabrics? Would you be willing to compromise on the bouldering suitability of this beanie if it excelled at trad duties? And let's face it, you haven't even given us detailed cranial measurements; are you taking this beanie purchase seriously or are you just wasting our time?
 angry pirate 26 Jan 2013
In reply to andic:
Realistically, a beanie isn't going to help your climbing. You need a balaclava if you want to push the grade, the itchier the better. Preferably coupled with some Ron Hills.
 neuromancer 26 Jan 2013
In reply to angry pirate:

If I'm stuck on a plateau, would the multi-functional nature of a Buff help me switch up my training and break through?
 Jerry67 26 Jan 2013
In reply to neuromancer: If you're stuck on a plateau, a map and compass might be more useful...
I'm gonna pull up a chair. This thread has potential
 alooker 26 Jan 2013
In reply to andic: Make sure you try it on first, with and without shirt. Fit is everything
 matthewjc 26 Jan 2013
In reply to andic:

I had a very swish 'Pachamama' benie hat for xmas - coupled with new Prana jeans I'm climbing at least 2 grades harder - fact...
 Fraser 26 Jan 2013
In reply to alooker:
> Fit is everything

And we've not even touched on colour yet - what's the world coming to?
 didntcomelast 26 Jan 2013
In reply to matthewjc: I tried to convince my other half that a new pair of Prana jeans would make me climb far better than I do now. I said it was due to the style and the elastication built in. She took this on board and googled stretch jeans... next thing I knew I was in Jacamo trying on some very cheap (£20) mens jeans with 3% elastane, problem was they were th worst fitting jeans I have ever tried. Wife agreed and said.... You will just have to stay a crap climber!!!
 matthewjc 26 Jan 2013
In reply to tony forster:
> (In reply to matthewjc) I tried to convince my other half that a new pair of Prana jeans would make me climb far better than I do now. I said it was due to the style and the elastication built in. She took this on board and googled stretch jeans... next thing I knew I was in Jacamo trying on some very cheap (£20) mens jeans with 3% elastane, problem was they were th worst fitting jeans I have ever tried. Wife agreed and said.... You will just have to stay a crap climber!!!

Brilliant I used to climb in Ron Hills (I had a very, very mis guided youth) but ran out of people that would allow themselves to be seen with me - I've told them all I have thrown them away, but there in the shed and I sneak them on under my caving fury every now and then..!
 LP 26 Jan 2013
In reply to andic: This is a veritable minefield and some dangerous information will no doubt be banded about. Research into the reduction of cognitive function through overheating shows that by wearing a beanie that is too warm, or worse trapping a benaie under a helmet, could indeed compromise the brains blood-barrier, limiting performance. And you do not want this halfway up a route at Birchen.

I use a new product from Montana. They allow excellent heat regulation, protect extremities and match my helmet too.

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hannah-Montana-Ear-Muffs-Childrens/dp/B007GCDVGU"> MontanaExtremeEquipment</a>

angry pirate 26 Jan 2013
In reply to neuromancer:
I've recently bought a new buff but haven't worn it climbing yet as technically it's classed as aid.
 Gturner71 26 Jan 2013
In reply to andic: you need to get several beanies of varying colour & style so that you can properly co-ordinate it with whichever climbing gear/clothing you are wearing on different days.
 Robert Durran 26 Jan 2013
In reply to sloth:
> (In reply to andic) you need to get several beanies of varying colour & style so that you can properly co-ordinate it with whichever climbing gear/clothing you are wearing on different days.

No, just weave one from your chest hair clippings. Then it will always coordinate perfectly.

andic 29 Jan 2013
In reply to andic:

Thanks very much all, a lot to take on board there! I was thinking of one of the alpkit ones but they seem to have sold out for now and TBH I think i'd prefer a tighter fit and no fleece.

Apologies for not replying to my own thread for so long, have been on planes/trains etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...