Taking it seriously

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris687 24 Jan 2013
So I have decided that I pretty much want to pursue climbing, particularly Alpinism full time for a year or so as of April with a view to getting in to the realistic position to consider a career as a guide.

The problem I have is that I don't really have anyone around me who wants to do the same thing. I am able to do a few weeks work back home now and again to top up funds and have a bit saved away.

I would like advice (or even people interested in joining me) on the best ways to go about achieving this. I am planning to move out to Chamonix for the summer season but I want to go to places a bit less well travelled too.

Bit vague I know, but any advice, interest would be good.
 Mr-Cowdrey 24 Jan 2013
In reply to chris687: I too would love to do this, but for me it's just unrealistic at the moment. Purely because of lack of money, thatls it really. I've been thinking about doing just this but one of the requirments for becoming a BMG is 5 years of Alpine experiance and 20+ routes etc.

So I'm basically building up the experiance over the 5years with small trips to the Alps, but at the same time doing MIA and MIC experiance etc. But if you're out in Chamonix during June + July then i'm looking for a partner for 2+weeks. Message me on here if you're interested.

Chris.
almost sane 25 Jan 2013
In reply to chris687:
Forgive me if you have already gone through this...

Questions:
Do you want to climb or do you want to work with people whilst climbing?
do you want to help people get to summits or do you want to help people gain the skills to gain summits themselves?
Have you considered a safety role?
have you considered roped access work?
What about photography?

I ask these because there are many things people have in mind with the word "guide"
And there are many ways to spend your working days in the mountains without being a "guide"
Finally, how do you feels about working with people in the leisure industry?
almost sane 25 Jan 2013
In reply to chris687:
As for gaining experience, IMO it is at least as important to get experience of working with people in the outdoors as it is to hone your technical skills, especially as you consider this as a career option.
Think about volunteering with an organisation like the Scouts, or work experience such as Glenmore Lodge's night watchman programme

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...