What's the best glue for patching a rucksac?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hooo 22 Jan 2013
The base of my rucksac has worn through at the seams, and the plastic coating is peeling off the inside. I thought I'd get a few more years out of it by sticking a big patch cut from another bag over the whole base. The trouble is I can't get anything to stick. I've washed the bag and wiped it down with isopropanol.
I bought some Seam Grip as it seemed to get good recommendations, but it was a complete waste of time (and bloody expensive too). It didn't stick at all.
Next attempt will be a can of spray contact adhesive, unless anyone can suggest anything better?
 KellyKettle 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Hooo: Bostik 2402 adhesive will work, but it will stiffen the material somewhat.

I'd glue the patch with 2402, then stitch the patch to the bag with high strength nylon thread (or thin fishing line), using a needle intended for jeans and a thimble (or some plasters and profuse swearing) will probably be necessary.

The closer to the point of failure you stitch the patch to the sack, the less any force on the patch will be able to pull it away from the material from the middle.
In reply to Hooo: Shoe repair glue. It is pretty much the only thing I've ever found that works for that sort of running repair.

The hot bond clue in Thermarest repair kits also works well, but is probably even more expensive than anything else!

However, I think I'd try to keep patches as small as possible and I'd certainly consider a bit of stitching along with glue.
 jonnie3430 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Hooo:

Osprey recommended shoe glue to stick a large patch to the bottom of my bag where it had worn out. I picked up the glue from Tiso and it is doing well so far.
OP Hooo 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Hooo:
Thanks for the tips. Will any sort of shoe repair glue do?
That Bostik stuff looks good, but it's so expensive that it's probably more than the bag is worth.
 freerangecat 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Hooo:

You could try using a place like lancashire sports repairs to fix it for you? I've not used them myself but heard them recommended for fixing jackets. According to their website they do rucksacks too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...