cant open canon RAW photos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gunbo 20 Jan 2013
Hi folks i've got a canon eos 1100d i've loaded all the disks i got with the camera on my computer and when i try to view photos taken on RAW setting i cant open or view them anyone any ideas?
cap'nChino 20 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: what program are you opening it with? I think you will need something like photoshop/Lightroom ect. Even then you may need the correct raw converter. It's a bit of a faff to start with. .

Raw files need processing first. Someone more knowledge will be along soon.
 Hannes 20 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: Use irfanview or faststone viewer to see them. You need to convert to jpg to be able to use them for anything. Install canon's own software so you can adjust white balance, exposure etc which is the reason you use raw in the first place.
OP gunbo 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Hannes: i've put all the canon software i got with the camera on my computer so does that mean i need to download more? is it worth it im trying to enlare/blow up more of my photos and thought it made a diffrence in quality as well as making colour correction easier
 Mick Dewsbury 20 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo:

You will need the latest update of Cameraraw from Adobe, which should now include the 1100D.
OP gunbo 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Mick Dewsbury: ok give that a try just thought the software with the camera would have everyhthing i needed
What Goes Up 20 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: The Canon software (I assume it's DPP you're referring to?) should definitely do it. I used it as my main editing software for RAW files for ages. I seem to recell that the package came with about four different programmes so might be worth checking you've uploaded all of them correctly just in case.
OP gunbo 20 Jan 2013
In reply to What Goes Up: ok check that as well is the quality better on tyhe raw or just colour managment options
What Goes Up 20 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: Probably depends to an extent what quality / file size your camera outputs JPEGs as (check the quality setting you have it on in your camera too), but basically you're not losing anything by shooting in RAW. As soon as it's compressed, either by the camera or when you process afterwards, what's gone is gone.

You definitely have a much wider range of options working with a RAW to begin with - if and when you do manage to open up a RAW file using DPP compare what you can do with that using the first (RAW) editing box on the right hand side of the page compared to what you can do with the second (JPEG) only. Play around with the sliders and so on. I find it particularly useful for making subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) shifts in the white balance.
What Goes Up 20 Jan 2013
In reply to What Goes Up: Should have said - be aware though that your RAW images won't 'pop' on the screen at their initial viewing in the same way as a JPEG will, so they might look pretty flat and disappointing to start with.
 Geoboy 21 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: Have you sorted it gunbo? unless you're looking to do some reasonable editing with camera raw or lightroom, it might save you time and faffing to shoot in large jpeg. Best not to think of raw files as photos really. Not until you've been through all your raw files in a raw preview program (e.g., CR or LR - Lightroom gets my vote), flagged the ones you like, editing and then exported (to jpeg/tiff etc), have you got your photos to enjoy, share etc.

Having said that, shooting in raw has many benefits and is essential if you want to make the most of your photographs even with minimal editing. Best of luck!
 Dustin 21 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: I always shoot RAW and process in Lightroom however I do find it useful to be able to view RAW files from Windows Explorer and other standard Windows apps. It was a while ago now but I think I just installed the Microsoft Camera Codec pack. Take a look at this. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829.
OP gunbo 21 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: go out with the cam this weekend take some RAW shots and see what i can do on the computer thanks for help and advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...