UKC

Glencoe avalanche

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
BBC news 24 channel is reporting an avalanche in Glencoe, I think the announcer mentioned Bidean nam Bian. MRT are involved. Looking at the SAIS forecast for today it is giving moderate with isolated patches of considerable risk.

Let's hope that everyone is OK

ALC

News Update 19:46 four have been confirmed dead: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=67748
john 284 19 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:

Six climbers involved - fatalities involved - MRT digging at the moment =
near church door buttress
 kwoods 19 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21101217

Central Valley? Haven't heard of it?
 Only a hill 19 Jan 2013
Just texted my brother to make sure he isn't involved... courage and strength to the rescuers, and I sincerely hope the victims all make it off the hill.
In reply to kwoods: Could they mean Central Gully? Grade I/II on Church Door Buttress.
 lithos 19 Jan 2013

updated on bbc link above
john 284 19 Jan 2013

3 fatalities - MRT are still searching for 1 person
 Busby 19 Jan 2013
Saw some of the rescue from the summit of SCNL, watched them stretcher someone down to HMS Gannet, foul conditions in terms of vis though mercifully the winds nowhere near as bad as yesterday.

Best of luck to all involved, keeping my fingers crossed.
 neon_blue 19 Jan 2013
My husband, his brother and a friend are up there. Have spoken to the local police and their names aren't on the list of people involved although he was planning in being where it happened. How would a Climbers Wife (i.e. - no clue what's going on and no experience but lots of worries) go about finding out? I know what his route was but it often changes when he gets up there and sees the conditions - but I can't get any of them on the mobile (again .. I know the signal is rotten). Is there anyone online who might have seen them or passed them ?? Or should I just get a complete grip of myself!
john 284 19 Jan 2013
In reply to neon_blue:

The MRT will have got the names from the first climber rescued.

The police have the names of the climbers involved.

Your family will be okay - loads of people out in the hills
 suilven 19 Jan 2013
Was about to post a similar response.

Best to try and stay calm neon blue.
 rusty8850 19 Jan 2013
In reply to a neon-blue. I can understand your worries. If you want some advice e mail me via ukc and ill let you know how to contact me. I have a fair bit of mr experience.

Rusty
 Only a hill 19 Jan 2013
In reply to neon_blue:
You have my sympathies but if your husband's name is not on the list then he will be fine. I'm sure as soon as he head about the incident he will get in touch with you.
 Only a hill 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
*hears
In reply to neon_blue:

Leave a message and/or text with as many in the party as possible - they might be on different networks so one of them might get a signal where the others don't.

Wait a while, if there's an incident going on the police will be busy.

If you hear nothing within a reasonable time, ring the Lochaber police explaining that your husband and brother were climbing in the area where the incident happened and that you haven't heard from them. Give them both your and your husband's numbers and also car registration.

Hope all turns out well for you.

ALC
 neon_blue 19 Jan 2013
Calm ...am working on it ... you would think the little wife's would be used to it by now ....
In reply to neon_blue: They could well be in the Claichaig boot bar, which has poor signal. You could try ringing there and asking the bar staff to put a shout out?
 neon_blue 19 Jan 2013
thanks everyone - good advice about the text messages and the car reg number. If I don't hear anything by 9 or 10 will give them a call. Suspect they are up their in their bivvie bags completely oblivious to the crazy lady at home!
 MtnGeekUK 19 Jan 2013

Sobering thought that I was less than 2km away earlier in the week.

Thoughts are with families and to those involved in the rescue.
 Rich W Parker 19 Jan 2013

... et al. Out on the Ben today, multiple localised instabilities around. Mostly possible to avoid. The nasty bits are particularly sensitive tho'. Take care.
 Busby 19 Jan 2013

Apparent it was a 6 person tram, 3 males, 3 females, I was contacted by a journalist for a witness account and she informed that according to Northern Constabulary there have been NO fatalities and that all have been recovered though a female member of the group is in serious condition due to head injuries.

Couldn't see where it said it on the BC website myself but my phone ain't the best at navigating sites.

Hope this helps to put your mind at rest a little,and I also second the idea of getting a shout put out in the Clachaig, though I'd do it just now as the band'll be on by 9.

Again best wishes for all those involved.

Iain
 Busby 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Busby:
Edit: bc website should've read NC website (northern constabulary)
 Mal Grey 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Busby:

This is all I can find on the NC site:

http://www.northern.police.uk/News-and-Media/news-item.htm?item_id=PR5356_2...

A bit ambiguous, am hoping you're right.

chrisprescott 19 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: I'm sure everyone is already aware of this, but best not to speculate on anything until definite facts are known, no doubt a lot of people will be looking at this thread. I knew some people up that way today, but thankfully they're all accounted for. Good luck to everyone involved.
 Only a hill 19 Jan 2013
Looks like the worst possible outcome =(
http://goo.gl/Aqlzg
 earlsdonwhu 19 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Radio 5 reporting 4 deaths sadly.
 clivecops 19 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Bad just staying down the rd
 Liam Martin 19 Jan 2013
Thoughts and prayers with their familys. God rest their souls.
 isi_o 19 Jan 2013
Number to call on the Northern Constabulary page if folk still haven't heard from people due to be in the hills today. Thoughts with all involved.
http://www.northern.police.uk/News-and-Media/news-item.htm?item_id=PR5357_2...
Isi
john 284 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Liam Martin:

Thoughts go out to all involved - They died living their lives and dreams.
 Busby 19 Jan 2013

Poor sods, heart goes out to all those affected by this, RIP.

IAIN.
In reply to a lakeland climber: Sad sad news to come home to after day in the mountains. thoughts with the families and those involved.
In reply to a lakeland climber: Tragic news. Thoughts are with all those affected.

T.
 Mal Grey 19 Jan 2013

Horrible, the outcome none of us wanted.

My thoughts are with the family and friends, and especially the two survivors. Fingers crossed for a full recovery for the injured climber.

Shaun Spavin 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Mal Grey: Apparantley it was a wind slab avalanche below church door buttress so it looks like they were on their way back down into Coire Nam Beith after summitting Bidean, tragic event for all concerned.

Sad Sad News
 neon_blue 19 Jan 2013
Terrible news, having spent a couple of hours worrying, I can only imagine how the friends and families feel. If any of you are reading, our family are praying for you tonight.
 martinph78 19 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Echoing the above. Sad news.
Another tragic and unnecessary waste of lives.

My sympathies are with all those affected by this.
SethChili 19 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: You cant predict these things , the mountains dont respect experience or being prepared . My thoughts are with those involved and it strikes me as another reminder that the hills and mountains of Britain are just as dangerous as anywhere else in the world .
These were clearly well equipped individuals who were probably doing everything right , but in the wrong place at the wrong time .
Tragic
 JamesRoddie 19 Jan 2013

I just held a minute's silence in the Clachaig boots bar. Condolences to the friends and families of all involved, and as always huge respect for the efforts of the rescue teams.

James
In reply to a lakeland climber: Bad news. Nobody to blame, shit happens. Sad. Thoughts with family.
Glen Staniforth 19 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: sad news, my thoughts go out to the family
 DancingOnRock 19 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Very sad. It's worrying that already a couple of posters have said avalanches can't be predicted. That's for another thread at another time.
 mr mills 19 Jan 2013

Awful news, thoughts are with the families.
In reply to DancingOnRock: Agreed.

My thoughts and deepest sympathies are with the two survivors. As a mountaineer and climber I can think of no worse position to ever be in.
 yer maw 19 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: my condolences to all concerned in this tragedy.
In reply to a lakeland climber: Condolences to all affected by this, really sad. =o(
 goose299 19 Jan 2013
A tragedy for all involved. My condolences to the families.
 euanryan 19 Jan 2013
In reply to JamesRoddie: a fitting and poignant tribute Jamie.

Condolences to all involved
 OwenF 19 Jan 2013

Chilling, as four of us where at Sron na Lairig today completely oblivious. After coming back to several messages from concerned friends and relatives, it reinforced for me the need to leave detailed route information other than "I'm in Glencoe"

Very sad news
 Tony the Blade 20 Jan 2013

Shit, f*ck, bollocks! I hate this.

<Sorry, just how I feel>

David Reid 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:

your not alone Tony, RIP those climbers who were enjoying what made them Happy
 Tony the Blade 20 Jan 2013
In reply to David Reid:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
>
> RIP those climbers who were enjoying what made them Happy

Yes, absolutely. And sincere condolences to the families and friends left behind, may they find solace in the fact that they died doing what they loved.
 CarolineMc 20 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: So, so tragic. We're a close community and awful accidents like this affect so many - the families and friends, but also the rescuers, the friends of friends and the other climbers nearby. Threads like this go to show the depth of feeling among our fragile community for people we may have never met but share the same love of the mountains with. Waiting for names is dreadful - we all hope it isn't our friends, but feel so much for those who are going to be devastated by the news. My thoughts go out to all of you. Stay safe folks and savour every minute of our wonderful time out there. Co:
 Mike C 20 Jan 2013
In reply to CarolineMc:
Nice words Caroline. We all enjoy our times on the hills, but there is always an inherent risk in what we do. When it goes wrong the results can be traumatic for many. Not a great day today for some, but another learning day for many. So sad for the friends & family. Stay safe everyone.
 kwoods 20 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Very, very sad to have heard the outcome.
 aldo56 20 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Horrible news, was on SCNL today with some friends and heard the news from MR members rushing to the scene. Our thoughts are with the families.
 lowersharpnose 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Aye, shit & bugger.
 Michael Ryan 20 Jan 2013

Give strength to those they have left behind.

Mick
 Yanis Nayu 20 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Condolences to the families and friends of those involved.
 Rob Naylor 20 Jan 2013
In reply to CarolineMc:

So true Caroline.

Thoughts are with survivors and families.
 Nordie_matt 20 Jan 2013

Condolences to those involved, may it be a small consolation that they died as they lived, in the mountains enjoying life.
 Paul Everett 20 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: For those not involved it is a sobering thought that avalanches continue to surprise people. Moderate is not a high risk for avlanches but any slope above 29 degrees can avalanche and although the risk cannot be avoided it is posssible to minimise.
1. all membres of a party should carry avalance beacons and know how to use them. If someone is buried it is recommended to reach them within 15 minutes latest.
2.if you have to enter a couloir at least spread out or go down it cross it one at a time. This avoids putting too much weight on the slope at one time and reduces the numbers of people caught in the event of an avalanche coming from above.
The weight of a small amount of snow is surprising 150-200 kg/m3. Next time you see a snow plough operating, just watch in how short a time a covering of a couple of inches can build up to a cubic metre. If you are hit by a few tonnes of high speed snow, an avalanche beacon is not much use, therefore the best method is observation and minimisation of risk.
These beacons cost around £250 on the internet and they do save lives but they are of no use unless all the party is equipped and with shovels and probes as well
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Paul Everett:

While I agree you have a valid opinion there I really wonder what would motivate you say this on this thread at this time when the details of the accident are not even clear. And please don't reply and start an argumant you can email me through my profile if you want to talk.

Condolences to the family and friends. I've lost loved ones in the mountains and know how terrible it feels (and how helpful and supportive most climbers are).
 rnotman67 20 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Condolences to the families of the folks that adventures have ended yesterday.
 SimonCRMC 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Well said. This isn't the time for this discussion. Condolences to all affected.
 Al Evans 20 Jan 2013
In reply to SimonCRMC: Please add my condolences to all affected
 LizS 20 Jan 2013
In reply:
Really sad news - my heart goes out to their families, friends and everyone involved.
 drunken monkey 20 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Sad News. The hills in our country are a wonderful, beautiful place to be, yet can be so cruel at times.

As an Ex-MRT troop, I shall raise a dram and have a wee thought to all concerned tonight.

__cliff__64 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Paul Everett: well said.
 AndyE9 20 Jan 2013
I to send my condolences out to the families of those fellow climbers that were unfortunate..

i'm finding this truly humbling as I'm up there in a few weeks…
 gammarus 20 Jan 2013
In reply to CarolineMc:

Well said Caroline. My thoughts and sympathy to the friends and families.
john 284 20 Jan 2013
In reply to drunken monkey:

On the TV today they showed the MR coming off the hill last night the guys looked exhausted and their heads were down...I'll have that dram too
 Gordonbp 20 Jan 2013
In reply to AndyE9:

My condolences too - just got back from North Wales...
 SeasonalDrip 20 Jan 2013

A sobering reminder of how dangerous our sport can be. Deepest condolences to all involved.
skarabrae 20 Jan 2013
In reply to SeasonalDrip: deepest sympathy & heartfelt condolences to all involved.
 Ali 20 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Sad news and sympathies to those affected - but big thanks due to all those involved in what must have been a really tough, harrowing rescue operation.
john 284 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Ali:

Update of those involved on the BBC Sctoland website - don't know how to do thie link
john 284 20 Jan 2013
In reply to john 284:

Sorry had that dram
Outdoor green 20 Jan 2013
In reply to john 284:
When I heard the news last night it sent a shiver down my spine. Respect to those selfless people who volunteer and are part of the mountain rescue teams. My heart goes out to the family and friends who are affected.
 Only a hill 20 Jan 2013
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21106340

I just can't believe how young they all are.
 The Ivanator 20 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: My thoughts are with the families of these young people who we have tragically lost. Prayers too for the girl in hospital, please God (or whoever you believe in) may she make a full recovery.
Respect to the rescue team who carried out such harrowing work in a dangerous environment.
 Banned User 77 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to a lakeland climber)
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21106340
>
> I just can't believe how young they all are.

Wow.. didn't realise that. Awful news.

Totally agree re Offwidths post. Also I saw someone on FB saying that journo's were around Clachaig trying to get statements of climbers in there, so it'd be wise to watch what is said on this thread..
 wilkie14c 20 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
Just back from a few days on Skye myself, we heard the news yesterday teatime. Heartfelt condolencies to the families of those lost and fingers crossed for the injured girl. The poor guy who raised the alram must have gone through a harrowing ordeal but kept it together, respect.
A dram was raised by everyone at the Skye winter meet but the mood was rather subdued.
 Darkskys 20 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: it brings a tear to my eye reading the reports They lived their lives doing what they loved!
What amazing folk the MRT are! Condolences to friends and family x
 Pete Ford 20 Jan 2013

Terrible news, my heart felt condolences to all the family and friends involved. Also, to all the members of MRT's across the country who selflessly go out in horrendous conditions on our behalf, thanks to you all.

Pete
 Fat Bumbly2 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Pete Ford: A big me 2 to your post, and a big thank you to all the SAIS team who go out just about every day on our behalf.
Jim C 20 Jan 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> Just back from a few days on Skye myself, we heard the news yesterday teatime. Heartfelt condolencies to the families of those lost and fingers crossed for the injured girl. ..........

We too were on a winter meet and club AGM , in our case at Glen Clova , and our members were shocked to hear the terrible news , and all expressed similar sentiments to yours above , as I'm sure the whole community does.

If their families , in time, read these posts, we can only hope that they can take some comfort from the heartfelt comments made by those who may not have known these young people personally, but perhaps some of us feel we know them just a little, through shared experiences, and a shared love of the mountains that we all find so very compelling .

Our thoughts and hopes are that the injured girl pulls through, and if she does, we can be under no illusions that physical injuries, will only be her initial hurdle, and when the doctors have done what they can, it will be down to family and friends to help her come to terms with the loss of the others.
 mjbeckett 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Jim C: unfortunately one of the young men was a childhood friend of my girlfriend. Shes taken great comfort from the messages on here, but its horrible to see how it can effect people. My thoughts and condolences go out to the family and his other friends, he sounds like he was a great lad, and to those of the other climbers involved
 Simon 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Ali:
> (In reply to a lakeland climber) Sad news and sympathies to those affected - but big thanks due to all those involved in what must have been a really tough, harrowing rescue operation.

...I echo that sentiment...

Si
In reply to Pete Ford:
> (In reply to a lakeland climber)
>
> Terrible news, my heart felt condolences to all the family and friends involved. Also, to all the members of MRT's across the country who selflessly go out in horrendous conditions on our behalf, thanks to you all.
>
> Pete

+1

Neil Pratt 21 Jan 2013

Very sad news - some of those who lost their lives had friends over on the Singletrack forum...

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/glencoe-avalanche-fatalities
 Toby S 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Ditch_Jockey:

Sometimes peoples kindness leaves me speechless. A Just Giving page in memory of one of the guys who died has raised nearly £2000 already. All proceeds to go to Glen Coe MRT

http://www.justgiving.com/Luke-Bradley

Gordonbp 21 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Just discovered that one of the dead is a friend of a relative by marriage.....terribly tragic.
 davidrj1 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Toby S: I think this is a brilliant tribute and I'm going to circulate this on my fb page. Condolences to the families and friends of those involved in Saturdays tragedy. As others have said they died doing what they loved and hopefully in time, they will take comfort in that.
 BruceG 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Toby S:
Thanks for the link Toby
 barbeg 21 Jan 2013

....see you on those big mountains in the sky....one day....but not yet...

Sincere condolences to all involved and affected by this tragedy.

Andy
 dingbat46 21 Jan 2013

Condolences to all the friends and families of those caught up in this tragedy.

I knew Una from university and she was an amazing person, a real pleasure to be around, she will be sorely missed. Feeling quite numb that she has been taken from all of our lives like this.

Rest in peace
Jim C 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Toby S: Cheers for that, I see it it is already doing well.
 Skyfall 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Toreador:

And here (apologies if linked to already)

http://www.scotsman.com/news/survivor-s-grief-for-friends-swept-away-by-gle...

Good to see that Rubbishy managed to say something sensible to the reporters.

Dreadful events and my sympathies go out to the family and friends of those involved.
Peter Gillman 21 Jan 2013
These tributes are deeply moving and make you think of wonderful days on the hill - and of risks you may have run yourself. This may not yet be the time - but does anyone have a clear, detailed understanding of precisely what occurred and where? I ask, because it is as always difficult to piece this together from the reporting in the national (and non-specialist) press. As well as thinking, there but the for the grace....we do like to know as much as possible about what wrong in order to help our understanding of avalanches and how to manage the risks.
 LizS 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Peter Gillman:
I know it's a logical follow-on but leave it a while yet Peter til the details come out, then start another thread. This isn't the place.
Peter Gillman 21 Jan 2013
In reply to LizS:
Point taken, Liz. Many apologies that this seemed premature.
 NickK123 21 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: My condolences to families and friends at this difficult time. No words will ever be enough but at least a whole community is thinking of you.
 Neil Anderson 21 Jan 2013
In reply to NickK123: RIP - young lives tragically taken too soon. My condolences to family and friends.

juliettenyc 21 Jan 2013
I used to work with Tom and we climbed together in Leeds a couple of times. He was a genuine, smart and incredibly active bloke, always off skiing or biking or orienteering or just about anything really, he was fearless in following his dreams and in that was a genuine inspiration. But more than all this, he was a lovely, warm and fun bloke and the world is a poorer place for his passing.
 Ali 21 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Just found out that an old friend of mine, Rachel was the fourth victim. She used to kick my a*se orienteering - I just wish she was still around to carry on the trend. Sounds a cliche I know, but I have met few people so full of life as she was.

My thoughts are with her parents, sisters and rest of the family, and of course the families of the other victims.
 Rubbishy 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

We were "doorstepped" while chatting with friends on the Sunday evening at the pub.

I didn't want to say anything at first, but thought it was important to make the point that this was a terrible accident, that could not have been predicted. By saying what I said hopefully non-climbers will understand and don't come to the wrong conclusion or make judgements. I hope I did the right thing.

My condolences to the families and friends.
 The Mole 22 Jan 2013
In reply to John Rushby: We were also questioned by press in the layby for the Lost Valley on Sunday morning (late start) a photographer from the Times wanted photos of us putting boots on, strapping axes to sacs, etc - we politely refused. However there were TV cameras on us anyway - don't know who they were

In the afternoon a chap from the Glasgow Herald spoke to us and quoted me later, thankfully what was written and my quote seemed balanced enough and not sensationalist.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/home-news/it-was-very-sad-but-the...

To put my comments in context I was climbing NW gully on Coire nam Beith on Saturday

I did feel somewhat uncomfortable speaking to the press at all
 tomdude 22 Jan 2013
Chris has been a close friend over the last 2 and a bit years. He exuded energy and enthusiasm. He always had so many plans (normally running or biking over the largest hills possible). Presented with an idea for an adventure, the answer was always "YES", normally followed by "Can we go now?" or "Can we add on this extra bit?". Everyone here will miss him sorely.
 Rob Naylor 22 Jan 2013
In reply to John Rushby:

John, your comments read well and were the right thing to say. I forwarded the link to a (non-outdoorsy) friend who'd been making the usual "armchair critic" comments and it shut him up!
 martinph78 22 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Any more news about the injured girl from Durham? I doubt I knew her, but I haven't seen her name released yet?

jon 22 Jan 2013
In reply to John Rushby:

> I hope I did the right thing.

Absolutely. Couldn't have been better.
 Banned User 77 22 Jan 2013
In reply to John Rushby: I think you did.. the press would have eventually found an armchair critic and could have used a quote of them. So by giving the quote you did you show them what the rest of the climbing/walking community think.

Offwidth 24 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK: I'd agree with that. Even the Mail comments page had people making sensible points which seemed to have blocked what can become a wall of uninformed critique. My concerns with speaking to the press are much more around giving any details at all of an incident... I'd have happily said what John did.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...