Boots Dilemma-Trango Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
arnold666 12 Jan 2013
Hi,
Off to the Cairngorms next weekend. Flying so can only carry limited kit.
Dilemma-Could use my trusty Scarpa Charmoz boot but i've recently bought some Trango Guide boots.
My head says Charmoz but my feet say Trango!!!! They need to be christened at some point. I have C1 crampons to fit the Trango's
What would you do?
BTW-only up to grade 2 scrambling so both sets are upto the job.

Thanks
 jezb1 12 Jan 2013
In reply to arnold666: Wouldn't use my trango guides with any crampons, they're super bendy.
arnold666 12 Jan 2013
In reply to jezb1: they are B1 rated and the sole is pretty stiff, definately a 3-4 season boot.
I will do some crampon testing walking round the garden!
 RichardP 13 Jan 2013
In reply to arnold666:

I take it whichever boots you take, you will be wearing them on the plane?

trainers weigh less than mountaineering boots, and take up less bag space
 jezb1 13 Jan 2013
In reply to arnold666: You must have small feet! Mine are size 47 and are a mile off being suitable for crampons. The sole would be super sloppy on snow when not wearing crampons.
 stuart58 13 Jan 2013
In reply to arnold666: they are winter boots the guide u will get wet and cold feet. I have a pair and they dont cope well in the wet. Not sure they r suitable for crampons either.
 ryan_d 13 Jan 2013
In reply to arnold666: Sorry to be a bit of a pedant but Trango Guides are not B1 rated. There are definitely bendy B0. Trango Evo S are B1 rated and pretty stiff, so I'm assuming these are the ones you are talking about.

Also agree that you should wear the boots on the plane so should have to worry about weight. If they are actually Trango Guides, I definitely take the Charmoz as they will be much warmer and crampons will fit properly.

All the best anyway and hope you get some decent weather.

Ryan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...