Recommend and East Highlands route?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 09 Jan 2013
Hi, so having looked at the various forecasts for the coming weekend, it looks like the West will be lucky if it gets even a cosmetic dusting of snow. I doubt the East will be seeing a massive dump either, but it does appear to have a better chance of wintery conditions. Also, I am a West coaster and feel I've been neglecting the more easterly Munros for their spikier counterparts closer to home, so this is as good an excuse as any to burn that petrol money.

I've had a look through a few of the Munro sites looking for a route, but haven't come across anything that looks particularly inspiring, just 25 km yomps across heathery plateaus. I've already done a bit of walking in the Cairngorm/Ben Macdui area, and the Beinn a'Ghlo three, but that's about it. Anyone care to suggest a route that involves either

a) Some features of note, a nice ridge, impressive corries, easy winter scrambling or
b) a heathery/snowy march that will at least allow me to tick off a good number of Munros with relative ease?

All suggestions appreciated.
In reply to Taurig: For a) have you done NE Ridge of Sgor an Lochan Uaine plus Cairn Toul and Braeriach? That's a good day out (or possibly 2 at this time of year, though slow going in deep new snow probably won't be a problem)

For b) you could do worse than Carn an Righ, Glas Tulaichean etc
 davy_boy 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Taurig: lochnagar via the stuic ridge is on my to do list if i ever get the time a nice scrambly ridge and some great views into the impressive corries could also pick up the 2 munros west of the stuic not much further once you gain the plateau
In reply to davy_boy: good suggestion, that's a really nice day out
OP Taurig 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Holy moly Dan, are you trying to kill me with this?!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/cairn-toul.shtml

Seriously though, it does look a good route, but perhaps a bit long for the daylight hours at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll bear it in mind for the longer days.

Davy boy, yeah Lochnagar has been on my to do list for a while. It's a long drive for the one hill, so while this is still long it might just be do-able on a winters day with a headtorch walkout.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/white-mounth.shtml

The Stuic ridge looks good, could be a bit dicey for someone with my experience if not roped up though. With all the snowmelt and the temperature dropping, perhaps it could be a verglassed nightmare?
In reply to Taurig: Maybe a bit closer to home, what have you done around Ben Lawers / Tarmachan?
 JohnnyW 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Taurig:

Derry Cairngorm and Carn a'Mhaim from/to Derry Lodge? Can cycle in from Linn of Dee.
OP Taurig 10 Jan 2013

Done Meall nan Tarmachan, and Ben Lawers itself with the bump before it that is somehow a Munro. I had considered the loop to the east of Lawers, but had read that the scramble up An Stuc is loose and prone to forming sheet ice, so wasn't sure if that could be a bit sketchy this weekend. Any thoughts?
OP Taurig 10 Jan 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

Good shout on cycling into Derry Lodge, hadn't considered that, and it opens up more hills, cheers.
In reply to Taurig: It is a bit loose and yes it could be icy, but with care and crampons it's not too bad (depending what you're used to). It is merely 'scrambly', not a full scramble per se, I'd say. I would suggest doing it in ascent though, ie. coming from the Meall Garbh side and doing the lochan circuit anti-clockwise. Lawers village - Meall Greigh - Meall garbh - an Stuc - Ben Lawers - down the east ridge - back to Lawers. It's a really good round...
OP Taurig 10 Jan 2013

Good stuff, sounds like it might be a go-er. I've been thinking about stepping up from easier snowy walks to something that might take a bit more technique (relatively speaking, I'm not Will Gadd...), sounds like this one could be good.

MWIS and MetOffice currently conflicting about volume of snow and location, as has been agonised over in the Winter Climbing forum. Keen to see how far west it travels, if at all.
 CurlyStevo 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Taurig:
Glen Clova is worth exploring at some stage if you haven't already and there is some nice waterfalls that freeze up as well as munros to bag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...