Marker Ski Crampons - STEEL??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rollo 09 Jan 2013
I done a bit of ski touring (did the Haute Route last year) and have Marker F10s (or 12s) for my bindings.

I also have the Marker ski-crampons. The problem is, they're made of aluminium (I think??). Therefore, if you hit a hard patch they bend. This is not good and caused some problems during our tour last year.

Does anyone know if there are Marker-compatible ski-crampons made of steel/stainless steel? Thanks

p.s. I know if it's really hard we should switch to boots/crampons but sometimes you want to stay on skis for speed and safety even if the conditions are patchy.
OP Rollo 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo: anyone?

Anyone had this problem??
 mcdweeb 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo: This is common and I believe most harscheisen (ski crampons) are made of aluminium alloy, they do bend but you can bend them back into shape and aluminium doesn't have quite the same metal fatigue issues that steel has, ther's a lot of ski mteering kit made of aluminium now for the lightweight issue. You can get aluminium ice axes and 12 point crampons now specifically for ski mteers. Useless on ice but fine for neve and snow.
 Pinch'a'salt 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:

Check/search the Teton Gravity Research forums - there will be links there to 3rd party harscheisen makers who will most likely do something beefier...
 HeMa 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Pinch'a'salt:

BnD ski gear... yeah, but still made out of aluminium...

And yes, ski cramps are for hard snow/neve, not for ice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...