KENTON COOL talks Feb/March 2013

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Speakers from the Edge 09 Jan 2013
premier post photo
In May 2012, British mountaineer Kenton Cool reached the summit of Everest for a record-breaking 10th time. He climbed to fulfill a 90-year-old olympic pledge, taking a gold medal awarded to the1922 British Everest Expedition to the summit of this iconic mountain just weeks before London 2012 kicked off.

60 years after Edmund Hilary first summited this iconic mountain, Kenton will be talking about his experiences on Everest and his twenty year career as one of the world’s leading high altitude mountain guides, including his 2007 expedition to lead Sir Ranulph to summit the infamous North Face of the Eiger.

An exhilarating evening of mountaineering stories and images from the top of the world.

BOOK TICKETS BELOW

FEBRUARY
Fri 22 RADLETT The Radlett Centre 01923 859291
Sun 24 LOUGHBOUROUGH Town Hall 01509 231914
Mon 25 BIRMINGHAM Town Hall Birmingham 0121 345 0603
Tues 26 BARNSTAPLE Queen’s Theatre 01271 32 42 42
Wed 27th LANCASTER The Dukes 01524 598500

MARCH
Fri 1 LLANDUDNO Venue Cymru 01492 872000
Wed 6 STIRLING Albert Hall 01786 473 544
Thur 7 INVERNESS Eden Court 01463 234234
Fri 8 ABERDEEN The Lemon Tree 01224 641122
Thurs 14 BRECON Theatr Brycheiniog 01874 611622
Fri 15 BUXTON Opera House 08451 272190
Sat 16 PENRITH Rheged Centre 01768 868000

To BOOK TICKETS ONLINE please visit http://www.speakersfromtheedge.com/theatre-tours/kenton-cool-everest
 Dan Lane 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Speakers from the Edge:

I don't know if it is you that set the prices, or the individual venues, but in my opinion, it's just too expensive (In Llandudno anyway). I think I made this point last time for the Ranulph Fiennes & Ian Parnell lectures but I'll make it again. Climbers are not a rich bunch, ok, some climbers are, but I'd say the majority are not, certainly not us students and it's quite frankly ridiculous. To put your price (of £15) into context, Nick Bullock is lecturing in north Wales in a couple of weeks for just £6. Now that, I am willing to pay. I could understand it if Kenton was a significantly more accomplished climber/mountaineer, but in my opinion, he's not!

Good Luck with the lecture tour, but I think you are pricing a lot of people out of attending.
 RichardP 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:
> I don't know if it is you that set the prices, or the individual venues, but in my opinion, it's just too expensive (In Llandudno anyway)

Going over the booking map it seems that the cost per seat varies between £13 and £15, some venues give discount for Concessions and some do not.

Buxton actually offer the seats for half price for Kids, students or the unemployed.

I should imagine it's the Venue that would set the ticket prices.

I'll be going to the Lancashire venue
Speakers from the Edge 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Speakers from the Edge: Yes Richard you are correct. As we aim to attract climbers and non-climbers, we put our events into theatres and this is the level at which they price "an audience with" type talks. Dan we realise not everyone will be prepared to pay these prices, but we couldn't run a tour at £6 ticket prices I'm afraid.
 Dan Lane 11 Jan 2013

>but we couldn't run a tour at £6 ticket prices I'm afraid.

Well, other people manage...Just saying.

innesmac 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

Dan firstly Kenton's talks are wellworth the money, and has been a great advacote of the sport and climbing community. And the guys from Speakers from the Edge always put on a good show, and is really well organised.

Secondly if you do a quick search youll find that most lectures and talks are around this price braket, (maybe Nick is selling himself short) and you would probaly get a sudent discount too!

But ill save the last part till the end, I guy who has been up Everest, guided across the world, holds a some impressive records and has been doing a great deal to raise the profile of climbing to the wider community doesnt just make him an accomplised climber, but a prity top bloke in my books!

Get the blinkers off and keep your negative post to yourself, as this guy could easily be spending time with his family that am guessing doesnt see as much as he likes/can, instead he's out their sharing and inspiring the next generation to get out there!
 colina 16 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Speakers from the Edge)
>
> I I could understand it if Kenton was a significantly more accomplished climber/mountaineer, but in my opinion, he's not!
>
>
if you don't regard Kenton as an accomplished mountaineer then I guess theres not much hope for the rest of us! .
agree with the pricing though,...although I guess venue cymru wouldn't be happy with less than £6 pp to rent their place out

Bloodfire 16 Jan 2013

Birmingham Town Hall: A top venue
Kenton Cool: A climber of our generation... and the name says it all
Front Row Seat!

Sounds like very good value for an evening out I think!
 Dan Lane 17 Jan 2013
In reply to colina:
> (In reply to Speakers from the Edge)

> if you don't regard Kenton as an accomplished mountaineer then I guess theres not much hope for the rest of us! .
> agree with the pricing though,...although I guess venue cymru wouldn't be happy with less than £6 pp to rent their place out

I appears what I said has been slightly mis-interpreted, he is massively accomplished, but no more so than mr Bullock. (in my opinion)
In reply to innesmac: I have no comment on the ticket price, but I doubt that KC's endeavours are particularly altruistic. I suspect he's simply a great advocate of himself. Anyone remember the toe curling Samsung ads, and all that Olympic nonsense with the 1922 medal? Stomach churning stuff! I remember him gushing that Everest was a once in a lifetime achievement, but he's done it 12 times:- shurely shome mishtake?

I'm with Andy Kirkpatrick on the whole Everest circus. It's not a real climb if you can step over bodies on the way up; on real climbs the bodies go all the way to the bottom. I remember a recent Tuesday Night Blast from Jeff Jackson or someone, which expressed the view that Everest was the least significant mountain in the entire Himalaya and I know plenty of serious, under the radar mountaineers who agree.

As for the family thing, everyone has a choice in how they spend their time; there's no gun to his head as far as I can see.
 Co1in H 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Frank the Husky: Kenton has done loads of other stuff with other climbers and of a high standard.
Ok, so he chooses to guide Everest and make his living that way. What's the problem?
I've been to lectures by Kenton and paid over £15 at the Lowry in Manchester. That was with Ian Parnell and a good night it was. I've also paid £5 to see him in a climbing shop in Preston.
I did complain about the prices for the Fiennes/Parnell lecture. I had a reply through UKC from Ian and for a large venue, prices are driven by the venue itself. They also charge for ticketing and some venues take a percentage of any merchandise that is sold.
A small venue will charge much less, so ticket prices are less.
Just by the way, organise a lecture yourself in your area. many climbers are happy to fill in between dates.
Just for you Dan, I've organised lectures in the past and had Andy K, Stephen Venables, Simon Yates and 3 other well known names speak at lectures and all for between £6 and £10 a seat. They were all in your area as well. Didn't see you there mate. If you need to go to a lecture I'm happy to give you a lift, if I am going, just mail me.
 Dan Lane 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Co1in H:

Thanks for the offer Colin, but I'm now based in Bangor. I did go to Nick Bullock's lecture on Tuesday though (And Andy K before christmas) it cost £6 and was absolutely brilliant! I fully recommend going to see him if you get the chance!
Flat4matt 28 Jan 2013

15quid for a night of inspiration is pretty damn good in my book.
 TommyC 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt: Agreed! A quiet evening in the pub costs more than that, I'm very sure that the lecture will be far more interesting and memorable too!
Annoying Twit 01 Feb 2013

I'm booked in for Loughborough.
 Up High 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

>
> I don't know if it is you that set the prices, or the individual venues, but in my opinion, it's just too expensive (In Llandudno anyway).

Dan, your lucky if you live in Cornwll youve got to fly up to Hertfordshire to see the show, I reckon a cheap airfare is gonna add at least £35.00 onto the £15 then the taxi there and back now that is an expensive night.
C'mon speakers from the edge no southern venues again?

Annoying Twit 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Up High:
> (In reply to Dan Lane)
>
> [...]
>
> Dan, your lucky if you live in Cornwll youve got to fly up to Hertfordshire to see the show, I reckon a cheap airfare is gonna add at least £35.00 onto the £15 then the taxi there and back now that is an expensive night.
> C'mon speakers from the edge no southern venues again?

Perhaps they think that Southerners are too soft for talks 'from the edge'.
 tk421 23 Feb 2013

Went to see Kenton speak yesterday.

Fantastic evening. Charismatic, funny and a great story on the history of Everest. Great photos and videos that really give a feeling of how amazing it must be to be up there.

Lasted around 2 hours. I'd highly recommend it, and at £14 think it was good value compared to cinema or theatre or a couple of wall entries.

Do go if you can.
Annoying Twit 24 Feb 2013
I went this evening, and it was a lively and interesting talk. Recommended.
 Bloodfire 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Speakers from the Edge: I'm going to the Brum one tonight. Should make for a great climbing session tomorrow!
Annoying Twit 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Bloodfire:

He's very approachable during the intermission, and he even signed a 'keep on climbing' signature for my son. Top bloke.
tomchyk 04 Mar 2013
In all the photos Kenton Cool holds Olympic medal Olympic Games in Paris, while the climbers for an expedition in 1922 received medals Olympic Winter Games in Chamonix.
Therefore, I am not sure that Kenton come to the top with a true medal.
I would like to get clarification on this issue.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...