Storing spare tyres

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 06 Jan 2013
Should folding tyres that are not in use be stored folded? I bought a couple of spares I found on sale last autumn and just noticed them out in the shed still in their boxes. I have some vague recollection of reading that pro teams used to hang tyres in French chateau wine cellars where like the wine they would age in to perfection over a couple of years. Can't see why this would be true, but I don't think I dreamt it!
 woolsack 06 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA: I'd be worried about storing them folded over an extended time that they'd crack on the folds and maybe stick together but I think you'd be looking at a fair few years for this. I think it would be like car tyres, cool, dry and dark, stored flat.

A grown up will be along soon to enlighten us
 Timmd 06 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Don't store tyres near a fridge or freezer, there's something in the harmless to humans air/gasses which comes out of them which is bad for bike tyres.

I suppose tyres might be less likely to develop cracks if they're hung up, first i've heard about them aging to perfection though?
 annieman 06 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA: It's the rider that ages. Perfection? mmm? Maybe going downhill here.
 Timmd 06 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Sounds quite romantic and Tour De France folklaw-ish, like it'd be nice if it were true.
 jayme 06 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:
I think that it was the Tubular tires that were aged in the cellar.
Leave them somewhere temperature stable and out of sunlight as the UV will damage them slowly over time.
OP TobyA 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Timmd: That's what I though too Tim! Of course now they store the EPO in the cellars, not tyre...
In reply to TobyA:

I bought a pair of Vittoria Evo Corsa folding clinchers in their original boxes from my LBS that he'd found lurking at the back of his store room so I got a really cheap deal on them.

After about 3 months of relatively light use the central part of the tread started to delaminate.

I guess long term storage of folding tyres is not to be recommended!
 LastBoyScout 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> Sounds quite romantic and Tour De France folklaw-ish, like it'd be nice if it were true.

Look up Julien Devries - he's the guy that stored and aged LA's tubular tyres.

I did see an article about it once, but can't find it anywhere now...
Rigid Raider 09 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I left a bike fitted with Continental slicks in my kitchen and after six months big brown stains had appeared in my nice pale vinyl flooring, which I took to be sulphur migrating out of the rubber. So yes, fresh tyres are probably better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...