Bothies with fuel nearby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Banned User 77 30 Dec 2012
Looking at a cross the highlands run.. next week

But need bothies with a stove and good fuel source ideally..

Any suggestions?

Was thinking Glen clova start through to Ruigh Aiteachain then through to Ben Alder Cottage, then fort william.. low level trails.. maybe the odd munro.. 30-40 miles/day..

Any other bothies to think about? Ben Alder has a small wood not too far away IIRC.. but the ghost is an issue.. no really.. I'll be on my own.. and the fact the fuel is a walk away..
 kwoods 30 Dec 2012
In reply to IainRUK: Personally have never been to a bothy with stove and fuel to hand. Do these exist?
 Blizzard 30 Dec 2012
In reply to IainRUK:

My experience of bothys from a few years back was that they were always stocked with some wood. The code of conduct was to leave fuel for others when possible. Re those specific bothies , not sure.
 Dr.S at work 30 Dec 2012
In reply to IainRUK: is the hostel at corrour open in winter? Might be a good option if it is.
 Roguevfr 30 Dec 2012
In reply to IainRUK:

That's a big ask - I've done same route in reverse in May - wouldn't want to try to do 30-40 miles a day in winter conditions. I do hope you'll be taking a tent as backup.

Steve Perry 30 Dec 2012
In reply to IainRUK: Pean and A'Chuil near Loch arkaig both have forestry around. Ruigh Aiteachan is also good for dead wood.
 Steve Perry 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Dr.S at work: Only if you book it, I believe.
 Cuthbert 30 Dec 2012
In reply to IainRUK:

There is a bothy....next to the railway line...where they used to dump coal....which is now covered by vegetation but easy to find....
 Horse 30 Dec 2012
In reply to IainRUK:

Have you checked here:

http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothy-details.asp?bothy_id=39

Gives general comments ref wood at bothies and whether to contact estates regarding stalking.
In reply to Roguevfr: No tent.. I was going to try to do the 101 miles in the one go.. but decided to make it a holiday..
 Erik B 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Horse: what a fantastic website, very impressed
Removed User 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Roguevfr:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> I do hope you'll be taking a tent as backup.

Yes, he could always burn it when he can't find anything else for the stove.

Just FYI, there's nothing to burn near Culra although there is bog wood about a mile back up the path and Ben Alder cottage isn't haunted.
 nw 30 Dec 2012
In reply to IainRUK:
Yeah I wouldn't rely on fuel at any bothy I know of, I always carry it in.
In reply to Horse: yeah cheers.. been looking.. will phone estates..
 Alan Taylor 30 Dec 2012
In reply to IainRUK: Give Almost Sane of this parish a shout, he is very knowledgeable on the bothies of Scotland
 Gav M 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Steve Perry:
> (In reply to IainRUK) Pean and A'Chuil near Loch arkaig both have forestry around.

But surprisingly little in the way of burnable wood.
In reply to Gav M: plenty of wood near ruigh aiteachean. we didn't find a lot in the wood near ben alder cottage. very spindly stuff. enjoy your tour
In reply to Full moon addict: Thinking about the Cairngorm 4000ers instead... checked the price of the train back and it's £90....

So think I'll just do a 2 day run to another bothy from Glen clova, then drive round to aviemore and do the 4000ers at the weekend..
 CurlyStevo 02 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
Glas Alt Sheil bothy beside loch muick is in a wood.....
 Simon Caldwell 02 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
Given recent weather I think you'd be hard put to find any wood lying around that's dry enough to burn
Graeme G 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> The code of conduct was to leave fuel for others when possible.

Nah....burn it all....even if it's 30 degrees outside......

fmck 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Toreador: I have read stuff in books (including log books) regarding burning peat straight out the ground while wet or damp. I have never tried so don't know. Maybe if you pressed as much dampness out you might be able to dry it enough with dead heather sticks burning. I was in one that had peat in one room drying with instructions to replace what you used but that's pretty rare these days.
 MG 03 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Can't help with fuel but I know of one with an Ipod dock, if that helps! (£1 coin needed).
 Jamie B 03 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

I have a feeling that Ruigh Aiteachain is actually stocked with wood, but will need to check with someone who was there last year.

My experience is that with a lot of bothies fuel-gathering and fire-maintenance can be almost more trouble than it's worth, especially if you've been running all day. Would you maybe be as warm in a really good bag? Or are you looking to try to dry things?
 Jamie B 03 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Confirmation: http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothy-details.asp?bothy_id=57

Looks like the estate want wood-gathering done on their terms, which is fair enough. Maybe worth a bell to make sure it's stocked? Quote from buddy who was there last winter:

"There was loads of wood when I was there, but the fire wasn't too clever at giving out heat really, but that seems to be par for the course. There was also a saw and a blunt hatchet"

HTH
wcdave 03 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Not in your area, but Bendronaig Lodge often has supplies of wood provided by the estate. Further north,Strathchailleach has always had a large number of dried peat blocks left undercover outside.

Glenbuck also has large amounts of wood nearby.

Resourie bothy is in the middle of a forest!
 Flinticus 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
Re fire hassle: I'd largely agree but sometimes the focus keeps you occupied, even if just for an hour or two. There's not a lot to do on your own in a bothy and while the heat produced can have minimum impact, the cheery glow helps keep those ghosts at bay.
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: Thanks, I did call and they had stocked..

Changed plans anyway, the train was £86 back from Fort William, so decided on a loop, so did a 22 mile run from Glen Tanar, over the hills next to Mt Keen, dropped into Glen Muick, then up to Glas-Allt Shiel,

Fantastic setting, plenty of wood, so had a fire going, then today ran out via the glens, windy day, but warm. 11.5 C according to my car thermometer driving out..

Nice few days, really like Glen Tanar, lovely caledonian pine forest then a nice scenic run out via glen muick and deeside then Dinnet oak woodlands..
 Flinticus 04 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
Sounds good. So what bothy did you stay at?
In reply to Flinticus: Glas Allt Shiel, around the back of the royal hunting lodge, it has the old stove from bob scotts so gets quite warm.
 Steve Perry 06 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Flinticus) Glas Allt Shiel, around the back of the royal hunting lodge, it has the old stove from bob scotts so gets quite warm.

That's the one with the steep ladder going up to the sleeping area? I recall drinking so much whiskey there the ladder felt like a VS!
 Jamie B 06 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

How did you get on for wood at the Glas Allt Shiel? I remember stopping there an being frankly amazed at how lacking in deadwood the surrounding woods were - obviously picked clean!
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: It wasn't too bad, but yes there isn't much there, but the winds had brought a few branches down so we had plenty to keep us going..

Yeah its the one with the ladder.. great location.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...