Suggest a Windshell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MtnGeekUK 28 Dec 2012
As above really.

Looking for a decent windproof.

Have seen this, but the reviews are mixed:

http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/windshell_1/alpine-jacket.html

Any suggestions greatfully received!
Shearwater 28 Dec 2012
I was quite happy with my Rab Alpine. It was windproof enough for most purposes, and had a far better hood than any other windshell. Only shifted it on cos I needed the funds for a new insulating jacket. I didn't have any problems with its wind or drizzleproofness, or its durability.

Montane Litespeed is about 100g lighter than the Alpine, and is a little more windproof too. Perhaps more importantly, its a fair bit cheaper.
 Pritchard 28 Dec 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

I use this for fast and very light:

http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/windshell_1/cirrus-pull-on.html

Craig.
OP MtnGeekUK 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Shearwater:

Thanks for that.

Preferred the Rab to Montane, which always seemed to come up small size wise.

Now to try and find somewhere in the sales!
 avayaman 29 Dec 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK:FYI-there seems to be a blue large Rab alpine pull on for sale on a well known auction site.
 Damo 29 Dec 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

Depends on your sizing and fit but Patagonia Houdini, Arcteryx Squamish, Norrona Bitihorn aero are all very good. I have a Rab Alpine Pull-on too, but I rarely pull it on as it's narrow across the back and shoulders and blousy around the waist. Also depends how good you want the hood to be, over a helmet or not etc. The Rab is very good in this regard, the Houdini and Squamish less engineered but also good. Some are rubbish.
OP MtnGeekUK 29 Dec 2012
In reply to avayaman:

Cheers for that - did see it.

2 problems:

Want the jacket, rather than pull-on

Need an XL

Seen anything else?
 Taurig 29 Dec 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

I've got the Alpine Jacket. I'm pretty happy with it, but two things that might put you off are a) Pertex Equilibrium isn't completely windproof, which in a way defeats the purpose, and b) it's fully featured, and it's nice to have good pockets and a wired hood, but it does make it weighty for this kind of jacket.

These downpoints mean that I tend to use it for 3 seasons only. In winter with bad windchill I'd prefer something totally windproof, and because of the weight and space it takes up in the bag you might be better with something lighter and more packable if you're using it for the walk in to the crag. For blustery spring and autumn days though, it is great to wear all day with just a baselayer.
OP MtnGeekUK 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Taurig:

Sounds ideal and those points are fine for me.

Winter will be hardshell or haglofs barrier hood (or down).

Cheers for all the feedback.
 Oceanic 29 Dec 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

I've been using one of these...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/helium-wind-jacket-id_8207879.html

I've worn it climbing (high up) in the Alps, and used it in the UK while running in bad weather. The hood just about fits over a helmet, which is great. I'll be taking it ski touring with me in February.

Unfortunately, Decathlon seem to have sold out at present. A Patagonia Houdini is very similar (and a bit smarter looking) but unfortunately they are several times the price.
readysalted 31 Dec 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

I've got the rab alpine pull on, and it's fantastic. I get very hot and sweaty when walking, and coldish when stopping, due to the wind.

I wear mine in spring/ summer over the top of a t-shirt, vest or even a baselayer, when walking and even when going up steep gradients with a moderately heavy rucksack it's ideal. It keeps the wind off and allows you to keep cool. I also took it up snowdon with me a year or two ago, in the blistering heat, and when we stopped in the saddle near Garnedd Ugain, the wind started to give me the chills. On came the alpine pull on, and I was good to go. Even yesterday when wild camping, I had a baselayer, the alpine pull on, and my outer shell, and I was warm all night, without having to reach for any other layers.

The pockets double as vents, and the hood fit's over your helmet if you're that way inclined. It's not waterproof I don't think, but that's not what it's supposed to do.
I imagine the alpine jacket is more or less the same, just with a full zip.

One thing, is that I was amazed how thin it is and flimsy it felt, I don't think it would be very resistant to abrasion at all, but as a windstopper on the hills, I can't think of anything better. On the plus side it packs to about the size of a large tangerine.
 JayPee630 31 Dec 2012
In reply to readysalted:

Marmot Trail Wind hoody.
 Phil J Booth 04 Jan 2013
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

Paramo Fuera Smock......awesome!
Made from Nikwax windproof, it's way more durable than a Pertex 'bin bag' but still light (unless you are a gram counting fast and light fanatic), packable and really flexible. Has a relaxed cut for anyone who is broader than a garden cane, nice baggy sleeves which make it ready to vent with the velcro cuffs at their loosest, or to slide them up for bare arms.
Dwr is good and naturally works well with Nikwax wash products to restore it back to better than purchased! wear it over a wicking layer when active, for all but persistent rain. Great wired peak hood and volume adjustment.
Anamazing bit of kit for less than £50.....you won't look back!
 due 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Phil J Booth:

The problem with the Fuera is that it's definitely not cut for tall racing snake types like myself, being too short in the body and too baggy to size up. Montane Featherlite is nice and long, but is nowhere near as tough like you say.

I would pay very good money for something along the lines of an unlined Montane Extreme, like Buffalo do with their wind top (though that is cut far too short as well). The stuff Troll make their omni trousers from is also pretty nifty.
In reply to due:

> I would pay very good money for something along the lines of an unlined Montane Extreme

Montane Dyno, perhaps?

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/soft-shell-and-fleece/dyno-jacket

More of a soft shell, perhaps, than a windshirt.
Removed User 04 Jan 2013
In reply to MtnGeekUK: some bigger sizes here for montane speed lite h2o
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Montane-Lite-Speed-H2O-Waterproof-Jacket/dp/B009D94...
seb

More-On 05 Jan 2013
In reply to captain paranoia: Or the Montane Krypton? Pertex with a very light wicking liner. It's similar to the Rab vapourise alpine lite, but having used one for the last two months it is much better designed and executed IMHO. It has replaced my lightspeed as my windproof of choice for walking and climbing.
 iksander 07 Jan 2013
In reply to MtnGeekUK: If you're looking upto 250g I'd recommend a Marmot Driclime Ether (tiny bit of wicking insulation is usually welcome), or Epicentre have an XL Houdini at half price if you fancy that
OP MtnGeekUK 07 Jan 2013
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

Thanks all.

Hopefully have a Rab Windshell arriving tomorrow.

If not any good, I might go for the Houdini with Epicentre.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...