Recommend me a running jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have a Brooks high vis waterproof jacket which I wear for running in the rain. I've hated the thing ever since I bought it - it seems to be bin liner shaped and lets a lot of cold wet air blow around my midriff. I accept that these things are always going to be imperfect and sweaty but can anyone recommend one which accommodates people whose shoulders are wider than their waists?
 plyometrics 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

I use the OMM Kamleika and love it.
In reply to plyometrics:

Cheers. I think I'd prefer something high vis yellow if possible.
 plyometrics 24 Dec 2012

If you don't find anything high vis, I always wear mine in the dark with a lightweight high viz bib; works a treat.
Removed User 24 Dec 2012
currently i'm on the market for a jacket as well, so looking at montane speed lite/h20; rab cirrus or marmot trail, though these are not fully waterproof, rather shower/windproof; for rain protection i use outdoor research paladin
hope it helps
sebastian
 Tim Sparrow 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Turdus torquatus: Haglofs Oz smock. No contest.
 climb the peak 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Turdus torquatus: If it's warm enough to rain, you don't need a jacket. I find putting a tee-shirt on over a base layer and wearing a hat is enough.
 Run_Ross_Run 24 Dec 2012
In reply to climb the peak:
> (In reply to Turdus torquatus) If it's warm enough to rain, you don't need a jacket.

Ha Ha. Love that.
In reply to doogie howser:
> (In reply to Turdus torquatus) If it's warm enough to rain, you don't need a jacket. I find putting a tee-shirt on over a base layer and wearing a hat is enough.

That's a relief to know.
 Camm 25 Dec 2012
I never bother with a waterproof, they aren't breathable enough so I end up wet through anyway and very hot in the process. I wear a thick berghaus base layer with half zip and a chest pocket, below about 8 degrees, if it's raining then doesn't make a differnce, the main problem is my face getting wet and water from my hair seeping onto my face, it's like japanese water tourture.The second problem is music. Below 5 I might take a hat, below 2 I might take gloves. Above 8 I just wear a helly hansen. That's with thights. I'd take a waterproof in a rucksack if I went a long run away from roads but that's only for incase I stop.
janiejonesworld 25 Dec 2012
In reply to Turdus torquatus: I've got one of these

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men's-Effusion™-Hooded-Jacket/OM5054...

Pricey but Castleberg have them on sale and it's real quality kit

Very weatherproof and way more breathable than anything I've worn of comparable weight. Really good athletic cut (if you've got an athletic figure . ) I use it for bad weather running in town and the Peak but go for a proper hard shell when it's nasty in the lakes. Really excellent comfortable well cut kit
 The New NickB 26 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Turdus torquatus) If it's warm enough to rain, you don't need a jacket. I find putting a tee-shirt on over a base layer and wearing a hat is enough.

You are likely to get badly caught out with that kind of attitude. When it is 2 degrees and your clothing is soaked from driving rain and the 30 mph wind you are running into is sucking the heat out of your body, you may regret that decision.

I hate over dressing to run, but painful experience tells me that when conditions are as I describe above, you at least need a wind proof.
 Wonrek 26 Dec 2012
In reply to The New NickB: Depends on your distance and location. For the stuff you and I do it really could mean the difference between serious hypothermia or not. However a road runner who's doing a few miles in a built up area cn afford to be so nonchalant as the weather really won't have the same impact on health in those circumstances.
 The New NickB 26 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonrek:
> (In reply to The New NickB) Depends on your distance and location. For the stuff you and I do it really could mean the difference between serious hypothermia or not. However a road runner who's doing a few miles in a built up area cn afford to be so nonchalant as the weather really won't have the same impact on health in those circumstances.

All try, but the bad advice that was given was "if it is warm enough to rain you don't need a jacket".
Removed User 26 Dec 2012
after much deliberation I've decided to go for montane lite speed H2O jacket, have a look at that one
sebastian
In reply to Removed Usersebastian74:
> (In reply to Removed UserTurdus torquatus)
> after much deliberation I've decided to go for montane lite speed H2O jacket, have a look at that one
> sebastian

Thanks for the suggestion - I like Montane stuff, especially for the fit. There are some good online prices for that jacket.

Liam M 26 Dec 2012
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to Wonrek)
> [...]
>
> All try, but the bad advice that was given was "if it is warm enough to rain you don't need a jacket".

Indeed I've been glad of having a waterproof on a race in August before. Three hours of running through bogs, streams and thick clag have left me cold even in the summer.
Removed User 26 Dec 2012

I noticed that Ron Hill are doing a nice looking jacket with a hood this winter. It looks sort of soft shell rather than hard shell but maybe worth a look.

In summer for road runs I use a Ron Hill thing that's very light but waterproof. If it stops raining you can easily carry it one hand, I ran over half a marathon like that.

You'll find them both here: http://www.run4it.com/shop/ronhill/jackets/?gclid=CI-D9rf6uLQCFcbLtAodSWgAL...

In winter in the hills I use a marmot Precip jacket. Not the greatest of cuts but not bad and nice and light.

http://marmot.com/products/precip_jacket

In reply to Removed User:

Thanks for all the replies.
 stouffer 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Removed User: I have a Precip jacket, I'd say it's tied with a Montane Velocity DT biking jacket for the least breathable bit of kit I own...

However in Montane's favour check out the Featherlite Marathon - more weatherproof than waterproof but a nice trim cut and available in hi-vis. If you're a size large Go Outdsoors have em on sale: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/montane-mens-featherlite-marathon-waterproof-ja...
Removed User 27 Dec 2012
In reply to stouffer:
> (In reply to Eric9Points) I have a Precip jacket, I'd say it's tied with a Montane Velocity DT biking jacket for the least breathable bit of kit I own...

Perhaps but it does have underarm vents and you don't wear a big rucksack when running so you're less likely to get a sweaty back. I bought it because it seemed to be the best of the lightest jackets on the market at that price.

robthered 02 Jan 2013
A vote for the Rab Cirrus. Incredibly light and v good fit. Keeps the wind off well. So comfy that I've worn it just by itself to race in a few times. Can't fault it.
 parkovski 02 Jan 2013

All these people saying you never ever want to wear a waterproof when running have clearly never been out in any proper weather.

I have a Haglofs Oz smock, I've been happy enough with it that I'd consider buying another one (despite the cost)- it's 6 years old and still going strong.
 climb the peak 02 Jan 2013
In reply to The New NickB: The longest runs I go on at the moment are about 10 miles around near where I live, the routes are all easily escapable. I'm training for a marathon at the moment and when I go on a longer runs then I will defiantly take a small pack with a fleece and a rain jacket in case i started to get cold or needed to stop. I find even if it is chucking it down, as long as I'm running at a decent pace with a warm base layer I will stay warm enough. If however i was going to do a marathon distance run in the rain i would probably wear a light waterproof jacket.
 The New NickB 02 Jan 2013

All perfectly sensible, although I wouldn't bother with the fleece, but it wasn't what you said in your initial post!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...