Getting to Chamonix (another thread)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Boulderdash86 19 Dec 2012
Hi All,

What is the best and cheapest way (apart from Hitching) to get to Chamonix from Devon.

I ahve throught about advertising on here too, as well as driving, train, bus, flight...but not sure where to start.

Thanks

Bobz 19 Dec 2012
 dave frost 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86: There s a few lifts on offer, possibly get the coach back to london victoria, then a cheap train to devon.

dave
 JimboWizbo 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86: If you fly don't forget to book a shuttle, we narrowly avoided a night in the airport last time.
OP Boulderdash86 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Bobz: Forgot to mention I would be looking around July time
 betathief 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86: When in july are you planning on going? might be driving out late july, no concrete plans but when the ferry crossing is booked i could give you a shout?
 Oo 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86:

Combine it with a cycle tour. I did this last summer. 10 days to Geneva, and then another 2 to Chamonix. Spent 10 euros a day for food between 3 of us. Wild camped the entire way for free. So I make that 40 euros for food over the trip. You'll have to pay a tenner or something for the ferry, think DFDS were the cheapest.
OP Boulderdash86 19 Dec 2012
In reply to the ant hill mob: later part - around 20th onwards as the 24th is my birthday....its kinda a birthday present to my self.
 Simon Preuss 20 Dec 2012
I might well be going to the Alps with my local club for probably a fortnight around the end of July/beginning of August.

Location is not chosen yet, so might not be Chamonix. We'd be sharing cars to get there.

I can let you know when more is confirmed if you like, I'm sure you'd be welcome.

Are you just looking for transport, or people to do routes with as well?
 psaunders 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86: Best = fly. You can fly from Exeter to Geneva. Book well in advance and it's quite cheap. Including luggage it cost me ~£80 return last year. You then have to pay for a transfer so about £120 overall.

It costs about the same as the coach but doesn't take 20 hours. Definitely worth it in my opinion.
 Caspar 20 Dec 2012

National Express do an open return coach journey for £100. You can take as much luggage as you can carry, and it takes you London-Cham in about 18 hours. The key point is that it's an open return. If the conditions crap out and you want to come back home, give them a call and they'll schedule a pick-up a few days later. I've done it three times now (take an full iPod/book and some friends - it can be deathly boring) but I'd keep doing it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...