Peak District Roads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timbers 13 Dec 2012
Hello all,

After some info about the state of the roads around the Peak District. Am hopefully going to get up there to do some road cycling on Saturday,but not sure if that's a really stupid idea if the roads are bad, particularly the smaller roads. I can hazard a guess that they're not so good, but any info from locals to confirm/unconfirm this would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Timbers.
In reply to timbers: Hard to say, as the weather looks set to change tomorrow. Today it was in minus temperatures all day, but dry, and I didn't see much ice - perhaps some of the high-up minor roads that never get gritted like above Burbage Bridge, Bamford Edge, etc. were icy? Don't know.

But it is forecast to be much warmer & wetter from Friday into the weekend: some snow & lots of rain & wind.
 danm 13 Dec 2012
In reply to timbers: There's patches of ice here and there, I noticed a few on my route from Nether Edge out via Stanage to Ladybower. It's forecast to thaw though, just be careful on any shaded bends and I reckon you'll be fine.
OP timbers 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

Thanks both for the info. Tricky to know what to do!!

Cheers.
 balmybaldwin 13 Dec 2012
In reply to timbers:

The weather forecast looks horrible for road riding in the peak on Saturday

35mph+ winds on the tops. Rather you than me... I'll be hiding in the woods on my mtb
In reply to timbers: Country roads and paths around Carsington Water were treacherous early this morning because of light rain falling on frozen ground and turning to ice. I guess a lot of it will melt now as temperatures rise so you could be ok on Saturday.
 ChrisJD 14 Dec 2012
In reply to timbers:

Everything was really really bad first thing in Hope Valley. Mostly thawed now and raining. A really grim day....

Also check out this FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/PeakDistrictWeather
OP timbers 14 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks for that info. So a bit silly going out on road bikes then??

aquazepp 14 Dec 2012
In reply to timbers:

Currently in Ashbourne, warm, wet & raining. All this morning's ice has long gone. You could ride roads bikes ok.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...