iPad mini

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 05 Dec 2012
Lookig at getting my wife an ipad mini. Are they worth it, as they are more expensive than other Tablets. She likes the camera and a few other bits on it. Is there any other Tablets that are worth me taking a look at?
 Elrond 05 Dec 2012
In reply to andyd1970:

They look to me as though they aren't worth the money. They haven't given it the A6 chip like the iPhone 5 or the new iPad and they also haven't given it the Retina display. It looks as though they are just going to bring out a new one in 8 months with all these features which would make it far more worth buying.

How about something like the Samsung Galaxy Note II which can call as well?
 neuromancer 05 Dec 2012
In reply to andyd1970:

I'd recommend the nexus 7 or the fire hd for normal day-to-day wife-tabletting.

They're almost a complete wash, so it comes down to which you'd prefer to buy / stream your media from, amazon (kindle books, lovefilm e.t.c) or google play.
In reply to andyd1970: the words Apple and Worth it, seldom go together even less so when you look at what it actually does!
 Graham Mck 05 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer: Is there a camera on the Nexus 7/Kindle Fire? The OP mentions this as a feature his wife might want. I think they have one on the fron for skype etc but not on the back to be used as a camera.
 tk421 06 Dec 2012
In reply to andyd1970:
I went Nexus 7 even though I've got an iPhone, didn't like how it would be difficult to transfer photos on / off a tablet when travelling.

There's no back camera, but I have a phone that's almost always with me with a camera as good as any on a tablet.
 Kid Spatula 06 Dec 2012
In reply to andyd1970:

A camera on a tablet is the most pointless feature ever. The only thing more pointless would be a "pour boiling oil over testes" button.
 LennyJ1 06 Dec 2012
In reply to andyd1970: there are alot of apple hater in the world I am not one of them. I have a mini and use it everyday. Its cameras are great for syping home and I use the kindle app everyday.

It is more expensive than other brand but I love the build quality.

It will more than likely be updated in the futher but all companys update there stuff.

but id cost is high on the agenda then there are other tablets which do just aswell at half the cost.
 LennyJ1 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Kid Spatula: I use mine to speak to my parents at home on skype
 Kid Spatula 06 Dec 2012
In reply to andyd1970:

That's the front camera. I mean a proper camera.
 stevez 06 Dec 2012
In reply to andyd1970:

Had a 'mini' for a few week now, having had a iPad v1 until then. Have to say I love the extra portability it gives you, as it fits inside my jacket pocket. Also can now use it to read books on the tube when stood up.

In summary it's a big step up from my previous iPad and the size is perfect for my needs. At £270 for the 16Gb Wifi model it is expensive, but as I have a iPhone and a MacBook it was the obvious choice for me.
 Graham Mck 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Kid Spatula: My daughter loves using the camera on our Ipad. She send photos instantly to friends and family and uses various Apps to do all sorts of arty stuff with them. She also uses the camera video to make movies on the go. Doesn't seem pointless to me.
 redcal 06 Dec 2012
In reply to andyd1970: If you are thinking i-pad you might aswell go big. I was always an apple sceptic till i bought an i-pad, the screen is a good size for movies / iplayer etc when travelling, tons of memory, and apps are more readily available on IOS than other formats.
 Duncan Bourne 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Kid Spatula:
Funnily enough my lecturer uses it to put photos into documents. Limited use I would have thought though.
You are wrong though.....

....A "pour boiling oil over testes" button would be awesome!
 Kid Spatula 06 Dec 2012
In reply to andyd1970:

Might make it slightly less mini. But for comedy purposes it would be amazing.
OP andyd1970 06 Dec 2012
In reply to andyd1970: thanks for the Feedback guys. She has an iphone 4 3g I think the model is and the camera is rubbish and has no flash. She just keeps saying they are nice when she sees one. She did want a laptop till she saw the ipad mini.
In reply to andyd1970:

I think the point has come where the competition have caught up with Apple, only Apple haven't realised it yet, since they can still sell their wares at a massive markup compared to equivalent products.

I think if I were looking at a 7" tablet, I'd be inclined towards the Google Nexus, or Samsung Galaxy Tab, or Kindle Fire (HD), all of which are a hell of a lot cheaper than the iPad; a friend of mine picked up a Kindle Fire for £100 in an Amazon promotion last week.

I guess the issue you have to consider is the "they look nice"; is she actually set on an iPad Mini, or just any 7" tab...? Then there's her previous iPhone familiarity, so the iPad will be very familiar. What does she want to do with the thing? If taking photos is important, then a front-facing camera is obviously essential. If she wants to use the thing as a mobile computer that she's in control of, my suggestion would be look elsewhere; the iPad controls you, you don't control it, and that frustrates the hell out of me when it won't do things my old Psion will do... Whether Android leaves you in control more, I can't say...
 Adam15 08 Dec 2012
In reply to andyd1970:

Not worth the money for the iPad mini if you are looking at getting a iPad make sure it's the new iPad (iPad 3) as the display is much better. However if it's just the camera she likes about it then you need to look at other tablets as its not that great or failing that buy her a camera.
 Kimono 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Adam15:
the new ipad is the ipad4...the 3 didnt last long!
 Alun 10 Dec 2012
In reply to andyd1970:
I was recently in the market for a new small tablet (I find the bigger 9 or 10 inch screens - think standard iPad - too heavy and clunky, but that's just my personal opinion).

My three options, in ascending order of price, were the Kindle Fire HD, Nexus 7, and iPad Mini. Priorities for me were (in descending order of preference): use as an e-reader, quality and quantity of Apps, and price. I should point out that I have an Android phone (Galaxy S3) but have had an iPhone in the past, and at home I have a Windows desktop PC and a Macbook i.e. I am neither an Apple fanboy nor an Apple hater.

In the end I went for the iPad Mini. I ruled out the Kindle Fire HD because its extreme restrictions on apps (you can only install from the meager selection on the Kindle store). That left the Nexus and the iPad, which I compared next to each other in-store. In this test the iPad feels nicer in the hands and the user-interface is more responsive (despite the new Android version making improvements in this area). Finally, despite the improvements in Google Play, the Apple store still has the edge in terms of range and quality.

After a few weeks I am very satisfied, and think I made the right choice for me.
 Nigel Modern 12 Dec 2012
In reply to andyd1970: Slightly off-message but here's a reply to the Apple's are expensive worldview.

I bought 2 PCs (netbooks)...they will be binned soon because I can't be faffed to sort out the anti-virus software sold as 'essential' but isn't (I think perfectly good software was included) and now I can't re-instate the original and anyway I think I'll be charged similar outrageous yearly amounts as Norton do etc etc etc.

Macs don't need virus software and I have twice had an old Mac brought back from the dead free of charge by the Genius bar (very young but so are policemen) gurus.

Macs work out no more expensive in the long run and you spend less time under the bonnet.

Apple's policy on batteries drives me crackers though (sorry can't replace it, do you want to buy a new iPod?)...is this the same with iPads?
In reply to Nigel Modern:

yes it is. However the battery is reckoned to be good for 1000 recharges. Half that for good measure and at two recharges a week you'd get five years before the battery gives up the ghost. Of course if the battery fails early because of other reasons then it's back to Apple or a new machine.

A quick check shows that Apple "replace" the battery on out of warranty machines by selling you a reconditioned unit for £85 + £7 P&P

ALC
 Indy 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Nigel Modern:

> Macs work out no more expensive in the long run and you spend less time under the bonnet.
How does an iPad make up for the £100's in extra cost in the long run?

C

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...