Snowdonia ski touring - ffynnon llugwy access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jamie89 02 Dec 2012
With the great ski touring conditions in the Carneddau does anybody know about the access to the ffynnon LLugwy road, it's a bit of a trek up the road with ski gear making it necessary to take two pairs of boots. The gate only states the entrance is to be kept clear and doesn't say private or closed.
 Banned User 77 02 Dec 2012
In reply to jamie_adcock: I'm 99% sure its only for authorised vehicles.. isn't it locked?

Would be a handy spot for climbs on Craig Yr Ysfa...
Jamie89 02 Dec 2012
In reply to IainRUK: It isn't locked, in all honesty I went up there today, a little bit of snow up the top but nothing the car couldn't handle. On the way down somebody had wrapped wire around one of the gates which we had to take off to get through. I don't want to annoy anybody but if no signs say it is closed or private I don't have too much of an issue driving up it. Was worth it for the fresh powder today!!!!
Bimbler 02 Dec 2012
In reply to jamie_adcock:
It's private/Authorised access. Left open sometimes- particularly lower gate, but its left down to common-sense not to drive up it! You may end up with a nasty/comical surprise (depending on your viewpoint) if someone catches your car up there.
Jamie89 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Bimbler: I guess my common sense works differently. I normally go by the rule if nobody says I can't, then I can. But in this case I may give it a miss next time.
Jamie89 02 Dec 2012
Can anybody suggest other roads that get close to the snowline, I'm not lazy but it saves me having to take hiking boots and ski boots.
Bimbler 02 Dec 2012

Cwm Eigiau? Tal y Fan carpark area?
 Banned User 77 02 Dec 2012
In reply to jamie_adcock: We don't have many high roads really. Some of the roads on the Migneint must be the highest around north wales.
Jamie89 02 Dec 2012
I may just try calling Welsh Water and see what they say, the worst that can happen is they say no. It's absolutely perfect for accessing skiing,even managed to ski all the way down to the lake today, the last bit was pretty bare though.
 Henry Iddon 02 Dec 2012

Was up there on Friday - the gates weren't locked. I parked by the gate at the bottom without blocking it and and had brief word with the farmer who was driving up it with some animal feed. So those with agreed access are about and may spot a car !

For walking up the road could you not just take trail shoes / trainers and put boots on at the reservoir?

This is what conditions looked like Friday afternoon - I doubt they've changed much

http://twitpic.com/bhvjyl

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...