Summer Skiing on mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dutybooty 30 Nov 2012
So I'm in a bit of a silly question mood tonight.

Skiing is recognised as a very good way to get to climbs in winter in the French Alps (Mont Blanc etc).

Having never touring skied, only touristy skiing, why is it less encouraged in the summer?

Or am I misreading things?
 Simon4 30 Nov 2012
In reply to dutybooty: I have seen people skiing up (or actually down), either of Castor or Pollux in July.

But in general in Summer you are much more likely to have the surface turned overnight to hard ice in the morning, then to complete slush (or "Soup" as the French call it), in the afternoon, neither is particularly good for skis, while ice is just fine for crampons. So there is no need for the considerably increased complexity of skiing in Summer, while in Winter they (or, as much discussed, snowshoes), are indispensible.
 Doug 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Simon4: plus, the snowline is much higher in summer, so much of the time you'd have to carry your skis.
 Simon4 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Doug: And you would have to walk carrying them in ski-touring boots, which are at best slightly suited to the purpose for any distance.
OP dutybooty 04 Dec 2012
In reply to dutybooty: Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.
In reply to Simon4:

Absolutely right. There's no point in using skis to approach climbs. The point of skiing in late June & early July is the descents which can be perfect spring snow on the higher peaks. Last June I climbed to within 50m of the summit of the Gran Paradiso on ski then finished off on foot. It was just as fast as walking up but the descent was brilliant and I was back at the hut hours before those on foot. OK I'd had to carry skis and boots up to the hut but that was no big deal.
 Simon4 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Wynne-Jones: Late Spring ski-ascents of moderate peaks can be fine, I've skiied up the N face of the Barre des Ecrins in mid-June, then skiied all the way down to about 300m above the Pre du Madame Carle in one, very fast and exilerating go.
 jon 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Wynne-Jones:
> (In reply to Simon4)
>
> Absolutely right. There's no point in using skis to approach climbs.

Well that's not really right Dave, especially in the area from the Midi to Helbronner. Skis are just SO much faster. I got to the foot of the SE face of Pointe Lachenal in about five minutes from the bottom of the Midi arĂȘte. Well OK, I wasn't looking at my watch... but the teams that set off on foot arrived as we were finishing our second pitch. Skinning back out is probably quicker than walking too.
 Simon4 05 Dec 2012
In reply to jon: Yes Jon, but starting from the Midi is a rather special situation, 3800m and frequently below 0 in Summer with perpetual snow. No 1400m of ascent to a hut and beyond to get there, walking in touring boots.
 jon 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Simon4:

I was just replying to Dave's writing off skis for approaches and why I specified 'in the area from the Midi to Helbronner'.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...