Adding a hood to a synthetic belay jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rousse 28 Nov 2012
Hi,
The synthentic belay jacket thread reminded me - I managed to buy a women's Arc'teryx Dually belay jacket a few years ago for a bargain price, and it has been very good in the Alps (I'm about as good as a lizard at keeping warm out of the sun).

However, it was a demo model, and has no hood, so not so good when it's snowing/very cold. Does anyone have any ideas of where I could get an aftermarket synthetic hood from? The jacket is red, but I'm not that fussy. In a perfect world I'd get a hood sewn onto the jacket...

My google skills have so far let me down on this one, I appeal to the UKC hive mind for suggestions.

Thanks!
ice.solo 28 Nov 2012
In reply to rousse:

uniqlo & a pair of scissors
 xoran 29 Nov 2012
In reply to rousse: you could maybe try PHD? They make a synthetic removable hood for their Zeta belay jacket. Could be that they would make you one and send you both sides of the zip so you could get it sewn into your jacket?
 gear boy 30 Nov 2012
In reply to rousse: old jkt/sleeping bag and a few dressmaking skills?
 Nick Harvey 30 Nov 2012
In reply to rousse: I had an old red Rab jacket with a poppered hood that I binned recently through wearing the thing out. But I never wore it with the hood, so the hood is effectively new. Its poppered and down, so may not be of any use, but if you can sort postage, you are welcome to it for gratis.
 BigBrother 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: If the OP doesn't want it I would be very interested as I am looking for a down hood to use with a quilt. I will email you via the forums.
 TobyA 01 Dec 2012
In reply to BigBrother:
> If the OP doesn't want it I would be very interested as I am looking for a down hood to use with a quilt.

Serious question: why wouldn't any comfy hat do? Quilts seems a great way of cutting down on weight, but then why bring a hood specially when you're likely to have a hat anyway?
OP rousse 06 Dec 2012
In reply to TobyA: Personally, to stop nasty cold stuff falling down your neck when belaying someone on snow/ice ... ideally I'd have a thin hat, helmet and then a nice warm hood over that. I am reptilian, though (in the feel the cold rather than the David Icke conspiracy sense).
 Sash 19 Dec 2012
I would send it to Tundra Repairs www.tundra-repairs.co.uk. They are brilliant at modifying mountaineering kit, and I highly recommend them. You can discuss your requirements with them, and they will give you a quote. I have always found their service very fast, too.
OP rousse 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Sash: Thanks very much, I'll give them a go. I emailed Arc'teryx to see if they had any spare hoods in stock (the Dually parka had an optional hood, I think), but no joy.

If Tundra can't do it, then the Buffalo XL hood looks ideal.

Cheers for all the suggestions.
 Roberttaylor 19 Dec 2012
In reply to rousse: I have a regular buffalo hood in blue if you are interested.
 PeterM 19 Dec 2012
In reply to rousse:

I did this sort of thing with a Monatane Toasty jacket. I stitched on some velcro to the collar and used my Buffalo XL Hood. I have also added a couple of poppers to secure it and also for the chin-flap as the velcro sometimes ices up and becomes useless.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...