Photo editing on Tablets.....who does this?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 26 Nov 2012
One of the chap's at work edits a lot of his images on his ipad and I have to say the results are very good.

I never realised that these little machines could work so well with photo editing. Anybody else use their android or apple tablets to edit and organise images?

If so, what aps do you use?
OP The Lemming 27 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Been doing a little research over the last 24 hours and there don't seem to be that many apps for photo editing beyond gimmicks for snaps for android devices.

I'm considering paying for Photoshop Touch at £6-99. Anybody used this app and got views on it.
 london_huddy 27 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
Only in extremis. You can do it, but I'll almost always do better with my laptop, or, better, my fully spec'ed PC.
 The Pylon King 27 Nov 2012
In reply to hindu:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
> Only in extremis. You can do it, but I'll almost always do better with my laptop, or, better, my fully spec'ed PC.

or even better - a mac
OP The Lemming 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
> (In reply to hindu)
> [...]
>
> or even better - a mac

Bollox

Show to me that mac is better than PC at editing.

But that is not my question. I want to edit images on my tablet, which is considerably more powerful than my first laptop ten years ago. And even then I was using photoshop.

There is no excuse to say that tablets are not powerful enough. The hardware is there, I just need the software/apps to do the job.
 Denni 27 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
> One of the chap's at work edits a lot of his images on his ipad and I have to say the results are very good.
>
> I never realised that these little machines could work so well with photo editing. Anybody else use their android or apple tablets to edit and organise images?
>
> If so, what aps do you use?

Why not ask your mate what he uses?
 Blue Straggler 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Denni:
> [...]
>
>
> Why not ask your mate what he uses?

Because his mate's not on UKC! It's logic innit

The Lemming - obviously not a tablet but I was deliberately trying to make my netbook (Acer pink thing bought off blanchie) fall over by overloading it, editing a 6MP photo on GIMP whilst running iTunes and Google Chrome. I succeeded in slowing the machine up and finding its limits. But GIMP (full current version) did retain its functionality and worked well. can't you just put GIMP onto your tablet?
 Blue Straggler 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
> (In reply to hindu)
> [...]
>
> or even better - a mac

Or even better - get it right in camera
KevinD 27 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

> But that is not my question. I want to edit images on my tablet, which is considerably more powerful than my first laptop ten years ago. And even then I was using photoshop.

the problem is what you are editing has changed since then.
I recall using a early digital camera which used a floppy disc and could still hold quite a few pics (remember it being more than a roll of film).
Even the more modern tablets tend to be limited hardware wise when it comes to the GPU and ram available and thats leaving aside the power consumption.
 d_b 28 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies)
> [...]
>
> Bollox
>
> Show to me that mac is better than PC at editing.

I think that the problem with PCs for photo editing is that the standard monitor you get with an off the shelf PC is a piece of crap. My sadly dead 2004 vintage powerbook had better colour reproduction & contrast than my fairly recent think pad, and thus made a far better photo editing machine.

Apple tend to ship good monitors by default, so they are better out of the box for photo editing than most PC hardware.

If you spend the money and get a decent screen, then take the time to calibrate it then a PC can be at least as good. When it comes to fundamental capabilities of software there is almost exactly nothing in it.

Anyway, on the tablet side. I haven't looked closely enough at the ipad screens to say, but there's no reason you couldn't get a fairly capable image editor. Biggest hurdle I can see is the old fat finger problem limiting accuracy but that goes away if you can use a stylus.
 Rhys Jones 28 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming: I aways kill time on flights home by putting my SD card into the reader on my iPad and edit the pics into a an album straight away. I use Snapseed, great app, very intuitive and has yielded some excellent results. It was an Apple "12 days of Christmas" giveaway last year, but I liked it so much I bought it from the Mac App Store too for laptop and desktop.
Removed User 28 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
>
> Been doing a little research over the last 24 hours and there don't seem to be that many apps for photo editing beyond gimmicks for snaps for android devices.

Snapseed
OP The Lemming 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User:

> (In reply to Removed UserThe Lemming)
>
> Been doing a little research over the last 24 hours and there don't seem to be that many apps for photo editing beyond gimmicks for snaps for android devices.

> Snapseed

I don't think that this works on Android, or I just can't find it on Google Play.
 Mike-W-99 28 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
Google have bought them so you'd think its going to be available at some time?
Removed User 28 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
on their main site they have 'coming soon' for Android.

http://www.snapseed.com
OP The Lemming 28 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

A bit of searching shows that there are loads of editing apps out there that will keeps kids happy with snazzy effects and grown-ups too if they want to jazz up a party shot.

However there aren't that many image editing tools, compared to the Apple Store, that I'd want anywhere near my JPEGS. But quantity of apps isn't necessarily a good thing as long as what is on offer works. Of the few on offer two are more than capable to handle my needs, which include sharpening, adjusting levels and exposures.

In fact I found them easier to use than photoshop or lightroom by achieving effects in seconds that would otherwise take me hours to master with layers, masks and other such trickery.

If anybody has an Android Tablet or phone then I'd recommend two

Pixlr Express
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pixlr.express&feature...

Photo Editor

http://tinyurl.com/cprts84

And for a Photo Gallery I'd suggest QuickPix. I found it more intuitive and customisable than the stock gallery that came with my Asus Tablet.
http://tinyurl.com/cy5pned

I'm no professional by any stretch of the imagination and these three apps more than cater for my needs.
 Hannes 29 Nov 2012
In reply to dissonance:
> Even the more modern tablets tend to be limited hardware wise when it comes to the GPU and ram available and thats leaving aside the power consumption.

Not to mention the fact that they have to wrong kind of cpu and programs have to be rewritten/compiled.

I assume that the people who use tablets for photo editing are the same people you see out at events holding their ipads taking pictures with them.

As for the whole mac vs pc thing, why not just buy a pc and a better screen than the mac screens, it'll cost the same anyway
OP The Lemming 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Hannes:
> (In reply to dissonance)
> [...]
>
> Not to mention the fact that they have to wrong kind of cpu and programs have to be rewritten/compiled.
>
> I assume that the people who use tablets for photo editing are the same people you see out at events holding their ipads taking pictures with them.
>
>

Are you saying that these are bad qualities?

My tablet has an 8Mp f2.2 camera and the ability to capture movies at 1080p.

Yes the processor is different, and not Intel but does this make it the wrong kind of processor just because software has to be re-written?
In 2011 7.9Bn ARM processors were used in hardware, so they can't really be that wrong. Even Microsoft are preparing Win 8 to run on the chips. So all-in-all they are not a bad/wrong British achievement.

JDal 29 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Re the programming, Android apps are Java and there's at least one open source Java image editor available, so many of the tasty components you'd need are already available. Still a lot of work to do of course, but not ground up.
 FreshSlate 29 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming: Tablets tend to have worse cameras than even mobile phones. Im no expert but there is a great deal more to a camera than megapixels and yes, 8 is about standard for a phone these days. Or if you have a nokia, maybe your camera is 41 megapixels.

Despite this I take pictures with my phone a bit though because its pocket size and I usually always have it. Obviously if I was working professionally or had wanted decent photos for some reason I'd take a real camera. I guess any picture is better than nothing but tablets are pretty poor for taking pictures, the iphone 4s in the persons pocket will take better pictures yet someone will hold up their ipad and look totally ridiculous (because they are holding something massive and ineffective for that job). It is sort of like failing to crack a nut with a big foam hammer. But if it's all you have on you, then whatever really.

ARM, are high efficiency/low power chips perfect for mobile devices and they dominate in this market. Windows is not compatible with ARM (only recently have they made a version that will run on arm for their lower spec tablets). You are not able to directly port windows programs over(they won't let you), they have to be rewritten ground up as an app. This is a lot of work, and you don't see many people trying to use their improving but still-under-spec tablets for high resource editing jobs. Therefore, it is not yet worth the time and effort to rewrite these sort of programs for ARM. Not bad, just incompatible at the moment
In reply to FreshSlate:

I don't think the OP is referring to photos taken on the device itself but using it to edit imported photos.

ALC
 Bob Hughes 29 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming: I have snapseed, filterstorm and photogene.
Snapseed is very quick and easy to use - good for touching up or effects (they have vintage / selective focus / dramatic etc)
Filterstorm is the bollocks and can do most of what I used to do using the cheap version of Capture One on my PC. I hardly ever use Photogene these days. It's good for one thing in particular but I can't remember what. Maybe black and white conversions.
OP The Lemming 29 Nov 2012
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to r0x0r.wolfo)
>
> I don't think the OP is referring to photos taken on the device itself but using it to edit imported photos.
>
> ALC

Yes please, and I'm especially interested in apps for Android kit.
 FreshSlate 29 Nov 2012
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to r0x0r.wolfo)
>
> I don't think the OP is referring to photos taken on the device itself but using it to edit imported photos.
>
> ALC

I was replying more to the later posts than the op like this: "My tablet has an 8Mp f2.2 camera and the ability to capture movies at 1080p."
OP The Lemming 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

I'll keep checking Google.Play but at the moment it does not seem to be available for android.

Cheers
 Mike-W-99 06 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
Doesnt seem to be live yet. The updated ios version is though.
OP The Lemming 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Installing as I type. And once I've given it a test drive I'll report back.
 rallymania 11 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

please do... and if you want to open raw files try rawdroid too
 rallymania 03 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Mike_Watson_99)
>
> Installing as I type. And once I've given it a test drive I'll report back.

well???
 steve taylor 03 Jan 2013
In reply to rallymania:

Works fine on my Galaxy Tab 2, once you get the hang of the controls.
OP The Lemming 03 Jan 2013
In reply to rallymania:
> [...]
>
> well???

Unfortunately, and expectedly, I'm not that impressed. I'll stick to the number crunching power of my desktop and 22 inch monitor.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...