BMC helmet guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
deleted user 23 Nov 2012
Hi

Just reading through the BMC pdf on helmets and wondered if anyone has a bit more information.I am basically looking at the pros and cons of Hard shells and foam helmets. For hard shells, It just says when a off centre impact occurs "the cradle collapses inwards without stretching". Could anyone go a but more in to detail about why the hard shell is less superior than the foam for off-centre impacts? Would also be useful explaining to me how the cradle manages impacts by stretching? Also if anyone has a good link for helmet information would be much appreciated.
 TobyA 23 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson: Have you got a cradle helmet? If you have one it's much easier to see what they mean.

The cradle is designed to keep your head away from the shell of helmet if the shell is being pushed down towards the top of your head (by something that has just hit it from above) only. The cradle has no real way of stopping the shell of the helmet hitting your head if the blow is from the side. If you hit the side of your head, you have a few mms of hard plastic protecting you and that's about it. With a foam helmet you have almost as much foam around the brim as you do on the top of your head.

I wrote quite a lot about these issues in: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4905
deleted user 23 Nov 2012
In reply to TobyA: Thanks Toby, thats pretty much answered my question. Cheers
In reply to samsimpson:

if your looking for a new helmet i'd seriously consider looking at Petzl new offering, the sirrocco.

it looks like a 'foam' helmet that hasnt been finished with the plastic outer, however its a different material and doesn't need the plastic outer. its seriously light, infact the heaviest bit on it is the chin strap buckle!

i saw a destruction demo of it at kendal and its pretty sturdy, the demonstrater stood on it several times and jumped on it. then cut it with a hacksaw and stabbed it with a knife and it only then broke when one of the audience jumped up and down on it quite hard. so pretty strong!

it was also fairly comfortable to try on.

and i hear the price is around the £60 - £65 mark.

well worth a look at!
deleted user 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Northern Climber: Sounds good, just looking at the Meteor by Petzl, the Tracer and the Vector by blackdiamond and the Edelrid shield II? By the BMC booklet says that hybrid helmets are also have this off centre impact con. The foam in the meteor looks like it goes all the way down to the rim, and most of the others look like the foam is protecting the on centre. It does not really say on the websites the level of foam, looks like iam have to do some real shopping!
 Nick_Scots 23 Nov 2012
I need a new one too and I'm having to decide -

hard shell = less sweating
foam and thin shell = more sweating

As I wear it more on Multi Pitch routes abroad and Via Ferrata abroad, I'm swaying to the hard shell.
 TobyA 23 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson:
> (In reply to Northern Climber) Sounds good, just looking at the Meteor by Petzl, the Tracer and the Vector by blackdiamond and the Edelrid shield II? By the BMC booklet says that hybrid helmets are also have this off centre impact con.

They do.

> The foam in the meteor looks like it goes all the way down to the rim, and most of the others look like the foam is protecting the on centre.

The meteor is an EPS Foam helmet like the other ones you list above. I think you are getting mixed up between hybrids like the Petzl Elios and foam helmets like the Meteor. If you can see them in the shop side by side, you'll see easily how different they are. EPS foam helmets are basically like bike helmets. Hybrids look a lot more like cradle helmets. If you are near a Decathlon, their own brand Simond foam ones are well worth a look. Cheap, but light and well made from what I've seen of them.
 TobyA 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Scott_vzr: Everyone is different but I reckon if you get sweaty in a helmet (I certainly do) then a foam one is probably best. 1) they are the lightest and 2) they tend to have the most vents. The new one from BD looks excellently vented, but all the foam ones I've tried are pretty good for vents. The Grivel one maybe has the most and the WC one the least, but they're still not so different.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...