digi camera hunt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lithos 22 Nov 2012
here's what i'd like to find in a compact camera for a specific function. At the moment I
use my Lumix TS3 which does all apart form no remote available. It doesn't need to be
big and flash, not bothered about which brand really, cheap is good

- usual stuff SD card, zoom (only need x3) about 8..10M pix dont need tons, tripod mount,

must have ....

- a 'hold' function on review (stays on until button preses)
- video out - i want to project what is being seen on the screen - live

- remote release - preferably radio but IR would be ok

- remote power would be great but spare batteries (cheap) is an option

anyone got any pointers - its hard to see from the specs on most places,

Cheers
 Blue Straggler 22 Nov 2012
In reply to lithos:
>
>
> - remote release - preferably radio but IR would be ok

How remote does it need to be? You could bodge a mechanical effort like in the old days, i.e. a cable release that physically pushes the shutter release. Indeed people have been fabricating such things for sale for non-remote-control digi compacts, sometimes neat ones for specific models too - do a search
Or does it need to be a proper remote control?

OP lithos 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

just shutter release. I've seen some bodges but most digis (my ts3 inc) dont have a threaded shutter button
and i think the cable would need to be quite long as the distance maybe 4 or 5 metres

cheers
In reply to lithos:

I think a bodge could still work, the ones I've seen don't rely on a threaded shutter release, they presumably have some little pad at the end of the cable that pushes the button just like your finger does. I am only thinking in terms of how you say your TS3 does everything you need for the application apart from the remote. Mechanical releases can be longer than 5m, I have a very long - maybe 10m - air release (an old one which is for a threaded shutter)
OP lithos 22 Nov 2012

cheers might be worth investigating, though there maybe an issue with the
release being in the image (also its my TS3 and i want to biyut one a
porject/work camera and not sue mine)

how do/es the bodge[s] work then is it gaffa tapped on or a clamp or ?
In reply to lithos:

Clamps or velcro straps, I think.
In reply to lithos:

Re-reading the OP, it sounds like what you want IN EFFECT is a video camera that can output fairly good quality stills when you want it to, via pressing a remote. Is that right? Something to stay on long term too. Older digi compacts tended to have a DC port so they could run off the mains. I wonder if an ancient brick like a Canon G3 might do the trick (not sure if has video out though). I could lend you one of those with a remote! Old technology though (4MP, bit noisy at all ISO)
OP lithos 22 Nov 2012

Hi ya,

hmm not really we want to monitor the output during 'setup' then to take the
picture (to sd card in reasonable high res ) and display it until next shot. Sometimes
this might be running for 2..3 hours (hence DC)

see facebook.com/viperlib to see what we are doing
In reply to lithos:

That clarifies things somewhat! Looks like a right laugh

I think others on here will be more qualified to comment on the equipment but I'll have a think anyway. Ta for the elaboration
OP lithos 22 Nov 2012

cheers for your input, not trying to be coy
OP lithos 03 Dec 2012
In reply to lithos:

It might be a Samsun st 200f - going to play with one but we think this ticks
all the boxes for 130 quid.

BTW we will probably be in London with the chair (or a new one) for a few days in April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...