Southeast Highlands conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Emily_pipes 22 Nov 2012
We're thinking of wandering up a hill in the Southeast Highlands at the weekend, somewhere around Glen Lyon. Does anyone know what the snow conditions are like up there at the moment. My OH has a shiny new set of crampons he's keen to try out.
 tony 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Emily_pipes:
> We're thinking of wandering up a hill in the Southeast Highlands at the weekend, somewhere around Glen Lyon. Does anyone know what the snow conditions are like up there at the moment.

I'd be surprised if there was any snow there at the moment. I'm a bit further south, in Crieff, and on the rare occasions I've been able to see near the top of Ben Chonzie, it's been bare. It is, however, very wet, and getting wetter.
 Mark Bull 22 Nov 2012
In reply to tony:

Might get a wee dusting of fresh snow by the weekend, but I doubt crampons will be required.
 JohnnyW 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Emily_pipes:

Yup, nowt the now, and it's very warm, wet and windy today.
 Katherine Ross 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Emily_pipes: The snow line was at around 700m on An Teallach in the far north at the weekend so it sounds unlikely. I'd also expect the bog factor to be pretty high - it was up north and it's not as warm there!
 AlH 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Katherine Ross: The dusting of snow in Lochaber disappeared sunday night, came back on tuesday, was gone again this morning but has reappeared this evening. Throughout this period mall patches of snow have persisted from about 900m+ but usually only on mountains greater than 1000m.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...