News: What's Wrong With Having A Brown Willy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Billy the fish 05 Nov 2012
"A campaign has been launched to have the name of a landmark on Bodmin Moor in Cornwall officially changed to its original Cornish title."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-20203832

There are places with much higher "giggle factor" that they should look at first.

Ed: See more on this story on UKH here: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=67588
 Tom Last 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Billy the fish:

>
> There are places with much higher "giggle factor" that they should look at first.

Ventongimps
Broadwoodwidger
Numphra

They all spring to mind.

Perhaps they should do what they did to Greensplat and blow the shit out of it.

Cornwall's great for place names
 butteredfrog 05 Nov 2012

> There are places with much higher "giggle factor" that they should look at first.

Cocklick End, Forest of Bowland, Lancashire.

In reply to Billy the fish: From teh Western Morning News;

> Campaigner Chris Hines said: "Restoring the original name Bronn Wennili to the highest point in Cornwall is a complete no brainer. "It has a lovely meaning – 'Hill of Swallows', a name that the county and its people can be proud of and something that will be slightly more attractive to residents and tourists than Brown Willy!"

Brown Willy vs Hill of Swallows? ROTFLMFAO!!
 Tom Last 05 Nov 2012
In reply to stroppygob:

"something that will be slightly more attractive to residents and tourists than Brown Willy!"

That bloke's all mixed up.

Locals go up it, cos it's a nice little walk.
The only reason tourists go up it is because the name is so attractive - and ridiculous
 toad 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Billy the fish: Or there's that place on Yell that's so offensive, UKC won't let me post it
 Clarence 06 Nov 2012

Pity it isn't in the Lake District, a walk from Cockshott Point to Breasty Hawes is fnarr-tastic enough. If you went via Brown Willy it would be gawhoop-licious...
mountainmadness 06 Nov 2012

Lord Hereford's Knob!

fnar fnar
 deepsoup 06 Nov 2012
In reply to mountainmadness:
Central London has a pretty strong contender for the most fnarrr-tastic route ever:
http://www.londonsackrace.com/route/4561805774
 Trangia 06 Nov 2012

En route to Brown Willy as you drive through Dorset you will pass Puddletown which until the Victorians got prudish had always been known as Piddletown. (It stands on the River Piddle)
Douglas Griffin 06 Nov 2012
In reply to toad:

> Or there's that place on Yell that's so offensive, UKC won't let me post it

That's an interesting one.

There are a few of them in Orkney as well as Shetland. The name is Norse in origin (the form was 'þveit') and it means 'parcel of land'. The same place-name element exists in Yorkshire and elsewhere as '-thwaite'. They're a bit more direct in the Northern Isles.

In reply to toad:

Incidentally, one of them goes by the name of 'Clousta Tw*tt', which for some reason makes me snigger even more.
 toad 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Douglas Griffin:
> (In reply to toad)
>
> Incidentally, one of them goes by the name of 'Clousta Tw*tt', which you can get antibiotics for, these days.
 toad 06 Nov 2012
In reply to toad: sorry.
 Tom Last 06 Nov 2012

I hired a bike and rode over to Tw*tt from Stromness, for the obligatory photo (by Tw@tt church in fact). It was a bit lost on the Danish guy who tagged along though. Poor bloke must have been wondering why I'd dragged him out to some non-place in the middle of nowhere
 Andy Long 06 Nov 2012
Actually, "Clousta" and "Tw*tt" (I feel such a prat having to bowdlerise it like that.) are two separate places on the same road sign. And they're on Shetland Mainland, not Yell. Otherwise fine, especially the etymology.

Sarah G 06 Nov 2012

There was this bloke who loved his girlfriend very much, so he had her name tatooed right along his willy. Once day, he went to the gents' and.....

In reply to Andy Long:

Ah, sorry. I must have seen them on the same road sign and got confused.

ps - I never said they were on Yell!
 ripper 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Billy the fish: Some of the most expensive houses in the estate agent ads in my local papers are on Tw@tling Road. which is near Lickey End.
 Al Evans 06 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper: In the Peak the village of Bugsworth was changed to Buxworth. I think this was as recent as 1930
aultguish 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Billy the fish: Wank or Wankum? Somewhere in Deutschland? Got a vague memory in there somewhere (of the signpost!).
 mikekeswick 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Billy the fish: Cockfield, County Durham. Makes you wonder whats in the soil....
 Clarence 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Sarah G:
> There was this bloke who loved his girlfriend very much, so he had her name tatooed right along his willy. Once day, he went to the gents' and.....

what?

Last time someone looked over the urinal screen he wondered why I love ludo so much as to have it tattoed on my penis. I just sighed and remembered the days when it said "I made love to deborah in Llandudno"...
 nniff 06 Nov 2012

Chateau Condom - a dinner party essential. It's not far from Bergerac
 Wonrek 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to Billy the fish)
>
> [...]
>
> Ventongimps
> Broadwoodwidger
> Numphra
>
> They all spring to mind.
>
You forgot Blowinghouse of course

Cx

Neil Henson 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia: Dorset also has a place called "Scratchy Bottom" (Ringstead / Lulworth area).
 Tom Last 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Wonrek:
> (In reply to Southern Man)
> [...]
> You forgot Blowinghouse of course
>
> Cx

Of course, twinned with Come-To-Good and Playing Place isn't it?
 Tom Last 06 Nov 2012

Not to mention London Apprentice Wtf?
 iani 06 Nov 2012
down by Harrisons theres a road sign to Balls Green and Blackham
 Welsh Kate 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Neil Henson:

Dorset has a village called Shitterton which is on a tributary of the River Piddle. The Piddle also passes through Piddlehinton, Piddlethrenthide and Puddletown (which sold out).
 Neil Henson 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Welsh Kate: Not heard of Shitterton before. I know the other place names you mentioned though.
In reply to Neil Henson:
> (In reply to Welsh Kate) Not heard of Shitterton before. I know the other place names you mentioned though.

Or there's this one just up the road in Northumberland http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=10900
 Dom Whillans 06 Nov 2012

sandy balls campsite in the new forest?
 KA 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Billy the fish: The rudest named town in the world (on the road north out of the Bregaglia Valley):

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=46.615252,9.603252&spn=0.093977,0.154324&...
Sarah G 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Clarence:

..........there also a black bloke having a wazz. As you do (?!) Our Hero peeked at the blokey's willie, and said to him, "wow! Is your girlfriend called Wendy, too?"

The black bloke turned to him and said.....
Bomber 06 Nov 2012
In reply to aultguish:

Wankum in Germany just before the Dutch border on route 34 if my aged memory serves me well
 Tom Last 06 Nov 2012

This has got to be the winner, although not surprisingly apparently none now exist.

http://tinyurl.com/cq9n4

(Warning for those at work it's Wikipedia, but very rude words - gosh!)

jimjimjim 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Billy the fish: my wife says she's prefers Brown Willy.
 Cruty Rammers 08 Nov 2012
Wilsford-cum-lake in wiltshire is always worth a giggle.
Not to mention the street in Shrewton called "upper backway"
 9fingerjon 08 Nov 2012
There's a village called les Arses in Switzerland...
 dbarmbs 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Gustav: how about Muff in Northern Ireland? Has an olympic diving team!!!!!
In reply to Billy the fish: No ones mentioned Great Cockup here yet. Perhaps a little too obvious.

Absolutely nothing wrong with having a Brown Willy when the rest of you is brown too. More of a problem when caused by a navigation error.
 Bruce Hooker 08 Nov 2012

Pratts Bottom on the A21 South East of London.
 nniff 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

Claggy Bottom, in Hertfordshire
Sarah G 08 Nov 2012
"Welcome to Jamaica, Have a nice day!"

Kaboom, tish!

Coat, door.....

Sxx
 andybenham 09 Nov 2012
> (In reply to Billy the fish)
>
> [...]
>
> Ventongimps
> Broadwoodwidger
> Numphra
>
> They all spring to mind.

And lets not forget Cocks! Interestingly this little Cornish village did the opposite recently. Some years back it was changed to Cox in the name of political correctness. Has now resumed its former (morning?) glory.
 deacondeacon 09 Nov 2012
In reply to andybenham: I remember that! Heading towards chivvy roundabout and the signpost with gimps going left and cocks going right. lol.
Think it was next to a pub called the white house.
 Toerag 09 Nov 2012
In reply to aultguish:
> (In reply to Billy the fish) Wank or Wankum? Somewhere in Deutschland? Got a vague memory in there somewhere (of the signpost!).

Just north of Garmisch-Partenkirchen is the 1850m high mountain called Wank. You can stay in the Wankhaus and go up it on the Wankbahn
 Tim Sparrow 09 Nov 2012
In reply to dbarmbs: The Surgery in Muff is of course the Muff Clinic!

Mind you, there is always Minge Lane in Upton on Severn. The sign had to be concreted in as it was forever getting nicked.
 nikhoward 12 Nov 2012
Good to see Playing Place getting a mention, as is my local biggest hill (Brown Willy). As for London Apprentice - it is the next village to me, but never found anyone that new why. I am confirm I have been to Hell (and back), that is in Norway.
 Wainers44 12 Nov 2012
In reply to nikhoward: Best trio of names on a single road sign...Numphra, Dowran and Joppa between Sennen and St Just. Always reminds me of Star Wars strangely...
Paul F 12 Nov 2012

The residents of Butt Hole Road, Conisbrough, petitioned for the name to be changed. it is now Arches Way.
 Forcan Reg 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Billy the fish: There's a peak in the Dolomites called the C*nturines Spitze (Piz dles C*nturines in Italian). Sounds like it could be a bit hairy in wet conditions!

Regarding Brown Willy, I included it in a mountaineering cryptic crossword that I composed some years ago. The clue was 'Result of nude sun bathing'.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...