Jet2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 minimike 31 Oct 2012
Has anyone used jet2? What are they like? We are planning on going Leeds to Grenoble, but would liketo know if theyre more like easyjet (fine) or ryanair (not so fine)? Any experiences to share?

Cheers
Mike
 andy 31 Oct 2012
In reply to minimike: at least as fine as EJ - allocated seats, no charge for debit cards.

Top Tip - if you're booking bags (ski or normal) they charge an extra £12 checkin fee for everyone who checks a bag in - but they only charge it once per person. So if there's more than one of you attach the baggage to as few of you as possible (we go as a family of 4 and you can check in up to 4 bags per person so I have all the bags which saves us £36 each time we go).

Not sure if this works with ski bags - you might not be able to check in more than one ski bag per head, but it certainly does with "normal" bags.
 The New NickB 31 Oct 2012
In reply to minimike:

I flew to Nice with them earlier this year, I thought they were fine. At least as good as when I have gone with Easyjet. I have never flown with Ryanair.
minimike_elsewhere 31 Oct 2012
In reply to The New NickB:

Great - seems like they'll be fine then. Thanks..

Mike
 Neil Williams 31 Oct 2012
In reply to minimike:

Never used them myself, but I've heard they are more like easyJet with a bucket of red paint over the top, as opposed to Wizzair which are more like Ryanair painted a sickly pink and purple colour.

Neil
 deepsoup 31 Oct 2012
In reply to minimike:
It's been a few years since I flew with them, but my experience was similar to others here. They're more "cheap and cheerful" than "cheap and nasty", I'd happily use them again.

Obligatory Ryan Air song:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZAg0lUYHHFc&
 1906johns 31 Oct 2012
In reply to minimike: I can offer an insider point of view here, as i work on the ramp, with aircraft.
Jet2 in my experience is a shower of shite, the company they subcontract to load and sort ground services to their aircraft are awful and in some instances down right dangerous - damage to both the insides and out of jet2 planes is um common to say the least.
On another note, if you book with monarch, i strongly advise you not to get on any aircraft which is not a branded monarch one. I say that because the civil aviation authority have grounded aircraft sub contracted by monarch from other airlines because they are genuine death traps.
 Neil Williams 31 Oct 2012
In reply to 1906johns:

While I wouldn't want to decry your experience, I would say no need to worry. The standards applied to air travel are so high that even an "iffy" airline is safe enough. Safer, for instance, than driving to the airport half asleep at 4am to catch the flight.

Neil
OP minimike 31 Oct 2012
In reply to 1906johns:

So, would you say that's in contrast to (say) easyjet, or are they all the same in the no-frills category?
 1906johns 31 Oct 2012
In reply to minimike: I have no experience of easyjet so it wouldn't be fair or proper of me to pass comment. From what I have gathered from others they are all the same no frills cheap and cheerful operations though. I can tell you ryanair operates well looked after and punctual flights out of my airport. Although I have to agree that air travel is the safest I would just say that the exterior and passenger cabin which you'd see may look wonderful the innards of the plane such as the holds, gears (wheels) etc which you don't have the chance to see are often in a very different condition.
 Tim Davies 02 Nov 2012
In reply to 1906johns:

Can you offer an evidence for your claim that the caa have grounded sub chartered aircraft?
 TrevorWells 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Tim Davies:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-19676990

Monarch cancelled the contract with Aurela after several safety issues.
Wiley Coyote2 10 Nov 2012
In reply to minimike:
Like most no frills airlines Jet2 are fine when things go right but too short staffed and under resourced to cope when things go wrong and the probs can pile up quickly. However in my experience using them for clilmbing hols and city breaks they are easily as good as any of their rivals and much more pleasant that Ryanair (motto: They pay nothing so they get nothing). We asre currently away with Jet2 right now. Outward fllght fine, fingers crossed for return
 Mark F 11 Nov 2012
In reply to minimike:

I've used Jet2 several times and haven't had any problems. Flights have generally been on time and I would say they are on a par with EasyJet in terms of service. They do constantly try to sell you stuff while in the air, though, which I find a bit irritating. I can't comment on Ryanair as I haven't used them yet - I'd have to be very desperate to hand my money over to that bunch of customer-abusers.
 gregor 11 Nov 2012
In reply to minimike:
Last winter flew edinburgh - chambery, due to a heavily booked flight and weight limits jet 2 took a decision to fly without around 80 ski bags. Communication was entirely absent, in my view deliberately so. We were not told anything at all on the flight even although the staff must have known about the problem. Guy in seat next to me saw the bags come out to the plane and fail to get loaded so we aked the staff and they were evasive. So we arrived in Chambery, asked on landing, and again the answer was ducked. We then waited for the ski bags, 2 in my party along with many others were dissapointed.......and again no word from jet2.

Pandemonium ensued dealing with the local French staff, no help from jet2 for them either. Over the next 48hrs I had no communication from jet2, it took multple calls by me to find out about my bag and eventually get reunited with it. It travelled via a Thomson flight to Geneva (with whom I believe jet2 had a reciprocal agreement for bags) where it lay unloved in unclaimed baggage, I got the distinct impression it would have stayed there all week unless I had chased it up.

It seemed a mental commercial decision by jet2 to deliberately load a flight to a weight limit they could not deal with, then fly around 80 folk to a ski destination without their skis and tell us nothing about it - and thereafter they were worse than rubbish in sorting the problem.

Exactly the same thing happened on the way home! Bag turned up 5 days later on the return.

The ground staff dealing with 'lost' (=deliberately left behind by jet2) luggage in Edinburgh told me this was a regular feature of this jet2 flight, something to do with ascent/descent rules into the Chambery valley making weight criteria tight
 TrevorWells 25 Nov 2012
In reply to gregor:

The commercial decision was a normal one. Weather conditions on the day effect the weight carriers can carry. Most if not all carriers take baggage for each other.

The crew would know before aircraft left as they make the decision. Cabin crew would probably know also but will not tell you to save the issues that follow, for obvious reasons.

I would be gutted if i was skiing and they left my ski's behind, it does seem cruel but buy cheap, buy twice!!

Check the small print on your ticket. Better to fly with Thomas Cook, BA, Thomson etc. May be a few quid more but you end up with a better sevice overall.
 Tim Davies 25 Nov 2012
In reply to TrevorWells:

If the weight of the passengers (often blokes on ski flights who weigh more) and their bags plus lots of skis exceeds maximum permitted mass of the aircraft then, quite simply, they can't be loaded.

kevin stephens 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Tim Davies:
But jet2 would know how many hold bags and ski bags they sold in advance from the bookings so sharp practice. This is why charter flighs often have a limit on the number of ski bags they can carry.
 gregor 26 Nov 2012
In reply to trevorwells:
Hi Trevor, Whilst these things do happen from time to time with all airlines the point of my first post was to let the OP and others know -

1. There appears to be a very high chance of baggage issues on the legs I flew with Jet2
2. Jet2 staff on the flight could have been more helpful and honest
3. There was zero assistance on the ground from Jet2 to help sort the problem - all was passed off to local French/Swiss airport staff, not a single Jet2 operative was on hand to help over 80 customers who had just been taken on a ski flight without their kit (and after paying around £50 return for that kit to be flown). This in turn no doubt contributed to the many problems folk had getting reunited with their kit over the days to come

PS they did not refund my £50 for ski transport - because they had actually transported it, just not on either of the planes I was on!

All the best - Gregor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...