Cotswold wont sell more than 6 meters of rope!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 james wardle 15 Aug 2012
Went in to Cotswold today to buy some static rope, only to be told:

"yes we have static rope by the meter but we aren't allowed to cut more than a 6 meter length, its against regulations and we aren't qualified to cut it and the training course is really expensive."

very curious, so I went to Go Outdoors where they also are not qualified but are happy to cut any length of rope

Health & Safety gone mad, or am I missing something?
 Dan Jam 15 Aug 2012
In reply to james wardle: Haven't I seen something like this before?
 AdCo82 15 Aug 2012
In reply to james wardle:

Not qualified to cut it?
the real slim shady 15 Aug 2012
Bimbler 15 Aug 2012

0/10 Must try harder!
OP james wardle 15 Aug 2012
In reply to Bimbler:

no seriously, i was well hack off at having to drive across town. i couldn't believe it either but the guy wouldn't budge.
 Mr Lopez 15 Aug 2012

An overzealous manager who couldn't be arsed training the stuff on alterations of PPE?

http://www.beal-services.info/anglais/vend_epi2.php
(It may give an 'attack page' warning. Ignore it, it's safe0
 Mr Lopez 15 Aug 2012
In reply to Mr Lopez:

staff...
 happy_c 15 Aug 2012
In reply to james wardle: training to use a hot knife? surely thats all the same? I know with some you are meant to mark the rope up (little white tabs), although we never do where i work . . . . what can i say, lack of training?
In reply to james wardle: Maybe if you had asked for 6+ metres you might have had more success.
 EeeByGum 16 Aug 2012
In reply to james wardle: Sounds bonkers to me. I am not sure which is worse. The rules themselves or the jobsworths that adhere religiously to them.
Removed User 16 Aug 2012
In reply to james wardle: In reply to james wardle: Idiot. Why didn't you just ask for 10 x 6 metre lengths and then tell him to leave the 8 of the ends joined together?
 Tony & Sarah 16 Aug 2012
In reply to james wardle: I believe this is due to an interpretation of
EN 892:2004 (E) rope end markings

In reply to james wardle: bollox. although each cut piece of rope is supposed to have end tape put on it beal (or whoever is the manufacturer) only provide about 8 rope end markers. I used to work for Cotwolds and there was never any rule about selling lengths of rope that I was told of and it would appear this person is either an idiot or just uneducated in the ways of PPE.
 MJ 16 Aug 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

So did you apply new markings to each end of the cut ropes you supplied and give the end user the relevant documentation?
zakmacro 16 Aug 2012

I work in a cotswold store and regularly cut lengths of rope over 8m. Never had a problem, never been told otherwise
marmot hunter 16 Aug 2012
In reply to MJ:
Why does a rope need an end marking? I'm sure I know where the end is without needing it marking. It is where there is no more rope. Simples!
marmot hunter 16 Aug 2012
In reply to marmot hunter:
I may not be qualified to type this. I have no qualification in typing.
 itsThere 16 Aug 2012
In reply to marmot hunter: because standards say so, its to say what the rope is and some other stuff is there, a problem with a batch ect. to trace your PPE if there are problems/accidents.
OP james wardle 16 Aug 2012
In reply to zakmacro: perhaps you can enlighten you colleges in the Southampton store for me.
 Rubbishy 16 Aug 2012

Hitch and Hike sold me oodles of the stuff the last time i hurled myself down Gaping Ghyll

long way from Soton to buy string though
 birdie num num 16 Aug 2012
You could knot them together. Num Num did his first abseil in an emergency out of his next door neighbour's wifes bedroom window on knotted sheets.
 chrisbaggy 16 Aug 2012
In reply to itsThere:
> (In reply to marmot hunter) because standards say so, its to say what the rope is and some other stuff is there, a problem with a batch ect. to trace your PPE if there are problems/accidents.

Cut the rope open and check the nylon strand for tracing when the rope was made!
 Mr Lopez 17 Aug 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to james wardle) (...) it would appear this person is either an idiot or just uneducated in the ways of PPE.

It seems you are the idiot here.

Read my link above and get yourself some education 'in the ways of PPE'.

The lad at the shop was only following instructions from his manager and conversely complying with legal requirements and European standards directives.

JJL 17 Aug 2012
In reply to Mr Lopez:
> (In reply to highclimber)
> [...]
>
> It seems you are the idiot here.
>

I read the article. It asks for end markers. Longer lengths would mean fewer end markers being needed. Your point is what?
 Mr Lopez 17 Aug 2012
In reply to JJL:

Que?
 martinph78 18 Aug 2012
Should have gone to go outdoors...bought 15m of 10mm static rope there last week no bother, and it was only £13.90!

It doesn't have end markers though, but this didn't seem to affect it when I used it Thursday. I probably should get some though, for safety's sake :p
In reply to Martin1978: yeah, the rope will definitely snap without them.
Removed User 18 Aug 2012
In reply to james wardle: end markers are actually more dangerous as I found out when one caught behind a crab somehow and jammed the rope halfway down the chere couloir. I have since removed all of mine.
 rdelf 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Removed User: intrigued as to how this is possible if it's on the end? how can it get caught it should be totally out of the system.

And i'll add myself to the worked-at-cotswold-and-never-heard-of-this-rule group.
 MJ 18 Aug 2012
In reply to rdelf:

And i'll add myself to the worked-at-cotswold-and-never-heard-of-this-rule group.

...but you are aware of the rule to apply end markers to cut ropes?
estivoautumnal 18 Aug 2012
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to rdelf)
>
> And i'll add myself to the worked-at-cotswold-and-never-heard-of-this-rule group.
>
> ...but you are aware of the rule to apply end markers to cut ropes?

Is that just for ropes or does it cover lengths of cord as well?
 MJ 18 Aug 2012
In reply to estivoautumnal:

Is that just for ropes or does it cover lengths of cord as well?

Any ropes that are classified as PPE, as identified by EN's 892 & 1891.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...