PRODUCT NEWS: Edelrid Shield II Helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 13 Jun 2012
Shield II - Red/Sahara, 4 kbEdelrid are updating their well-respected and long-established range of climbing helmets with the addition of the Shield II – a lightweight, 'soft shell' style helmet with a number of practical features.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=4645
 Sharp 13 Jun 2012
In reply to UKC Gear: A soft shell helmet! What would we do without marketing?
 Skyfall 13 Jun 2012
In reply to UKC Gear:

Looks good and I'm in the market for a new helmet. Need to track down a stockist now.
 TobyA 14 Jun 2012
In reply to JonC: I have one on review for UKC currently, so far it seems like a really decent competitor to the Meteor. Fits my head very well, but not so good on others, vice versa with the Grivel Airtec that I'm also reviewing.

This and the next shot show it in action on your's truely's head! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150960297612959&set=a.1015096...
 TobyA 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Sharp:
> A soft shell helmet! What would we do without marketing?

I suppose its sort of true, but agree it doesn't sound brilliant.
 Sharp 14 Jun 2012
In reply to TobyA: I wasn't meaning to be too facetious, I'm just a bit confused as to what it actually means.
A softshell jacket compromises waterproofness in exchange for breathability, so what does a softshell helmet compromise and what benefits does it get from doing so?

Either that or it's just a case of someone thinking softshells are quite popular with the kids these days so lets call it that.

Ben
 TobyA 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Sharp: I agree - it's not really very helpful terminology! The helmet is very much like a Petzl meteor, thick hard foam with a thin plastic cover over it - same as a bike helmet really. I guess it is only the foam that protects your noggin, so the shell is "soft" in that sense. I suppose you could call hybrid helmets "hard-shells"!
 Skyfall 16 Jun 2012
In reply to TobyA:

The meteor seems a bit wide on my head and wants to slip sideways. Any thoughts on whether the Shield is narrower?
 TobyA 16 Jun 2012
In reply to JonC: Will try them both on in the morning and report back. Post again moaning if I forget!
 Michael Ryan 17 Jun 2012
In reply to Sharp:

This should help Ben, there is a pdf guide to helmet types and uses on this page.

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmc-helmet-campaign

Foam helmets – soft in the head?

For quite a while, wearing a helmet marked you out as an arch-traditionalist. A helmet meant climbing VDiff’s in all weathers, drinking warm beer, and wearing Ron Hills to the pub. Cool climbers didn’t wear helmets, because they went sport climbing and bouldering instead.

That all changed when Neil Bentley climbed Britain’s first E10. You couldn’t get any cooler than this, and yet he was wearing a lid. And no ordinary helmet either, this was new, this was funky – this was foam!
Your typical foam helmet is made from expanded polystyrene (EPS) with a very thin polycarbonate shell. Compared to hardshells they are light and often very well ventilated, and it was these comfort factors as well as being new and fashionable which propelled them into a must have item for the aspiring wad.

In contrast to hardshell helmets, foam helmets provide protection even close to the rim. The thicker the foam is towards the rim, the greater the level of off-centre protection provided. This feature makes this type of helmet a good choice for the sorts of climbing where the main risk is banging your head in a fall. You can hit your head almost anywhere in a fall, whereas stone and ice fall mostly hits the top of the head (unless you look up!)

Impacts cause the cells in the foam to progressively collapse. The foam can crack into pieces, or even crumble completely with a large impact. For this reason foam helmets are not the best choice for longer routes and mountaineering where you can’t just pack up and go home. Damage during transport is also more likely than with other types of helmet.
 Michael Ryan 17 Jun 2012
In reply to JonC:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> The meteor seems a bit wide on my head and wants to slip sideways. Any thoughts on whether the Shield is narrower?

I do like the adjust dial on the Shield II. Very easy to adjust whilst on your head.

TobyA 17 Jun 2012
In reply to Mick/Jon: OK, much to the amusement of my house guests I just tried on the Meteor and the Shield II side by side. Not too much in it but I think the Shield might be very slightly narrower. The Meteor wobbles a little more side to side, but I've used it for five years and that's never actually bothered me before! Like Mick says the adjuster on the Shield is easier to use than the Meteor adjuster, although the latter is lower profile.
 mwaterfield 09 Jul 2012
hi all, just a quick question regarding the comparison with the Petzl Meteor, is the Shield II certified as a multisport helmet as the Meteor is? I'm currently looking for one that covers biking, climbing and whitewater which so far leaves the meteor III, Salewa Krypton and Kong Scarab although i've seen some web reports that the Shield may also fit into this group.
Cheers Mark
 TobyA 09 Jul 2012
In reply to mwaterfield: Check Edelrid's website, but I don't think it is. I don't remember any mention of other certifications on the box it came in.
 misterb 10 Jul 2012
In reply to UKC Gear:
jon c
I found the meteor to be too wide as well and the cradle does not adjust far enough round your head to secure it properly.
The new edelrid helmet is definitely a little narrower than the petzl but the difference is the cradle adjustment, it just grips your head better and the wheel adjuster is much better than the funny clips on the meteor.It really fits me well.
Hope this helps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...