Cycling access to Glen Strathfarrar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lpretro1 17 May 2012
I believe that, whilst use of car to access the Glen is restricetd to certains days/times, walkers or cyclists can access at any time. Does anyone know if there is a car-park or place to leave a vehicle near to the gate at the access point/locked gate. I also assume that it is easy enough to get a bike round/over said gate too and that it isn't one of those huge deer gates about 8 ft tall? We are thinking of going into the glen on our mtbs to spend two or three days doing a big horseshoe walk incl the 4 Strathfarrar munros and we want to bivvy out and also have the flexibility of cutting short/extending depending on weather - this is why we are taking our bikes and not a vehicle.
 Mark Bull 17 May 2012
In reply to lpretro1:

It's a normal gate http://www.caledoniahilltreks.com/gallery06/glen_strathfarrar_apr06/02%20In...
and there is a parking area just before you get to it.
 ScraggyGoat 17 May 2012
In reply to lpretro1:

Carpark 50m before gate. You can wheel your bike round, or under.

Hide bikes once inside. We cycled several miles in one night and camped about 800m from the road, near the start of the Strathfarrar four. Next morning an estate worker drove his land-rover off road to specifically come and give us an earfull about camping not being allowed and access only to be taken during specified hours. We just smiled..... this was only about 6 months before the scottish landreform act became rubber stamped....and he knew it!
 Siward 17 May 2012
In reply to lpretro1:
Yep, plenty of parking space and the bike ride down the glen is a joy. One of those places where a bike sure beats walking.
OP lpretro1 17 May 2012
In reply to Siward: Thanks to everyone - just the ticket - the gate photo was brill. We don't want to spoil the peace by driving up there either. All we need now is good weather for end of June when we'll be up there!
 rif 17 May 2012
In reply to lpretro1:
Yep, it's a gorgeous bike ride on smooth tarmac. If possible avoid being there in the first or last hour that cars are allowed in, or you'll forever be having to get off the road to let them by.
OP lpretro1 23 May 2012
In reply to ScraggyGoat: Out of curiosity only - what would happen if you went in by car and couldn't for whatever reason make it back out before the gate closing time - perhaps due to an injury, getting misplaced in bad weather or something? Would you be dragged out and thrown out, or shot, or a severe tongue lashing or what?
 Colin Wells 23 May 2012
In reply to lpretro1:

The person at the house by the gate would be annoyed at having to drag themselves away from X-Factor or similar to open the gate.

Given that the road was built with public money, and the estate effectively arrogated control over it, perhaps one's embarrassment might be assuaged by the notion that the moral impetus is with the locked-in member of the public, rather than the slightly inconvenienced gatekeeper...
 ScraggyGoat 23 May 2012
In reply to lpretro1:

I've heard in bygone years, that a party got caught behind the gates on a saturday night. The gate keeper left them asleep in their car in the morning, on his way to church. He forgot about them, and having quenched his spirtual thirst, went on to quench the other, before being tempted for a dram or two on the way home.

The part of teh story I've forgoten, is that when returning to the gatehouse on sunday evening if he let them out not, becuase they were now beyond the permissable time to exit the glen for that day!

Maybe somebody on here could corroborate the story?
 Cuthbert 23 May 2012
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Sounds like nonsense to me. I've been up the Glen a fair bit myself recently, most recently about an hour ago.

As well all know, it's only motor access that is limited, foot, cycle is fine at all times. Tonight was beautiful amongst the trees.
 ScraggyGoat 24 May 2012
In reply to Saor Alba:

We are not talking recently, probably a decade or two ago, possibly more. Yes they could have walked out, but not much point if you need to drive a distance to get home.
 Cuthbert 24 May 2012
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

I can see how that situation could arise. There is a fair amount of traffic in addition to the 25 cars allowed. With the Hydro, estates, suppliers and holiday cottages I would have thought it unlikely that could happen for such a long time.
Tim Chappell 24 May 2012
In reply to rif:
>

you'll forever be having to get off the road to let them by.

<double take>

People do that???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...