NEW ROUTE CARD: Meall a' Bhuachaille and Ryvoan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Meall a' Bhuachaille from Coire an Lochain, 2 kbCompared to its giant neighbours this Corbett is small and understated, but thanks to its stand-alone position between Speyside and the Cairngorms Meall a'Bhuachaille has a fabulous open feel, with views over Rothiemurchus Forest to the Northern Corries. It is the high point of a multi-topped ridge that's good for a mid-length day, but the shorter walk described here focuses only on the main summit. With a quick easy ascent and a scenic return along the wooded Pass of Ryvoan, it's a wee gem of a walk - and very family friendly.

5.28 miles, 8.49 km, 561m ascent, 2 – 3 hours. Aviemore

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=362
 Mike C 27 Mar 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Nice choice Dan, but I prefer doing it the other way, attractive approach, less of a slog up, & a faster descent.
 mountainbagger 28 Mar 2012
In reply to Mike C: I've done it the other way too, but continued along the ridge and back sort of diagonally through the forest on a more gentle gradient from the end of the ridge towards the starting point. I think it is a shame not to continue on the ridge, but then I suppose it wouldn't be quite as short a route. Although I really liked it that way, I can't say whether it is better than Dan's way as I haven't done his way!

Good choice though and I can vouch for the family friendliness.
In reply to Mike C: Cheers Mike, but deiseil is luckier than widdershins so I'll stick with that thanks!
In reply to mountainbagger: That's a nice day too. Maybe bigger is better but I wanted to write up a shorter route this week.
 JohnnyW 28 Mar 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Yes a regular of mine with my wife during our trips to Glenmore, when I go off walking and climbing hard, and she skis of mooches, then we do this walk as a little loosener/together-time.

Usually the other way around though......prefer the ascent that way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...