NEW REVIEW: Winter Boots From B1 to B3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Gear 25 Jan 2012
Berghaus Kibo from a mountain-top bivvy in the Cairngorms (they lived in my bag overnight), 3 kbAre you a walker, a mountaineer, a climber or a bit of all three? Dan Bailey tries out three winter boots, each designed for a different niche - Meindl's Himalaya MFS (B1), the Berghaus Kibo (B2) and Mammut's Mamook GTX (B3)

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=4385
 smile 25 Jan 2012
In reply to UKH Gear: I have a pair of the Meindl's described. I love them to bits, they have seen some tough times.
They took a little while to break in, but they are very comfortable now. The bit inside that comes with them was rubbish, and very thin, but replaced that with a decent one and it was great. i only mention this as when i put in a decent inner bit (i forget the name), it made the book a little more snug, so when getting a pair, just somthing to keep in mind.

They Take a crampon really well (C1 crampons), iv even messed around with them on a grade 2, seemed ridgid enough.
Had them on a weekend up on sky, fantasic, and seemed to put up with the punishment of the gabo really well, not like other boots iv had.
Worn them in winter and summer and very happy with them.

And they are still going strong. great boot.

I do have quite a narrow but long foot shape, (my big toe sticks out quite far ) so clearly not a boot for everyone. But i do like it.

The one big negative i would say is that Meindl must be struggling for money. Because the same of boot a couple of years ago was about £100, when i bought my pair, i got them for £130 (new). According to this review RRP is now £230 for a pair!
So maybe they have used better materails in these models, or they have been dipped in the honey intended for the mountain god's or 30yr single malt scotch, regardless thats some price hike but it is the only thing that would make me reconsider getting these again.
Ta
In reply to smile: I used to have a pair of the heavy Raichle 90 Degree EXPs, and found them great for Euro ice cragging and messing about in Scotland. But then I got tempted by the latest super-lightweight B3 boots from a different manufacturer... and now I suffer from cold feet ;&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...