UKC

NEWS: BMC Horseshoe Quarry Clean Up Success

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 22 Nov 2011
Horseshoe Quarry, 4 kbSaturday 15th October saw the inaugural Horseshoe Crag Care Day. A motley band of volunteers descended on Stoney Middleton quarry, armed with a pretty comprehensive list of tasks.
To give a bit of background, the

acquired Horseshoe Quarry, for use as a recreation and conservation site,...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=65120
 Bulls Crack 22 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Has the work cleared away all the cliffs other than the main wall?

Good effort though even if not
 jimjimjim 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack: Yawn....if you don't like it don't go. Taking the piss out of a bit of rock is strange.
 jimjimjim 22 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News: Thank you to all the helpers. I like many enjoy this crag from time to time and i know it wouldnt be posible without the work, time and money of others.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:

I might be being dim but that shot on the BMC site doesn't look like Horseshoe (too wooded) and where is 'the pond'?

Chris
Kipper 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> I might be being dim but that shot on the BMC site doesn't look like Horseshoe (too wooded) and where is 'the pond'?
>

Isn't there a 'pond' of sorts as you walk in? The photo is, I think, some way from the climbing areas.

Michael Ryan 22 Nov 2011
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> I might be being dim but that shot on the BMC site doesn't look like Horseshoe (too wooded) and where is 'the pond'?
>
>

Probably on top of the crag Chris where the orchids are. I did some scrub clearence with the BMC up there a couple of years ago.

Mick

Michael Ryan 22 Nov 2011
 Simon 22 Nov 2011
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
>
>
>

Read the report Chris! ;0)

The photo is taken of the volunteers on the upper land on the right of the quarry as you enter from the Stoney parking - there is a large area up there that the BMC manage, including the lovely woodland pathway heading towards Eyam. Go and explore one day!

The pond is on the left as you walk in, on the corner opposite Androids area. Again this has proved a massive success and is home to a diverse set of fauna and flora.

I'm hopefully going to do a longer piece on the quarry next year with much more information including details on the residents bats, owls and speleologists!

Any one wishing to help with the conservation of the Quarry - please contact the BMC - tomorrow's Peak Area meeting will also be a good place to get involved also if you wish.

Cheers

Simon
Peak Area Access Rep
 Simon 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
> [...]
>
> Probably on top of the crag Chris where the orchids are. I did some scrub clearence with the BMC up there a couple of years ago.
>
>

There is an area where the orchids are which is similar - with a small wooded bit where we again get the grass cut - at the top of the Zig Zags (Above the star trek wall). I have worked up there too Mick and can confirm that its bloody hard work clearing all the scrub - luckily I managed to get 3 Uni volunteers to kindly do it this year.

The orchids when the appear up there are beautiful and worth all the hard work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonjacques/5870369975/in/photostream

cheers

Si

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...