NEW ROUTE CARD: The Welsh 3000s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GeoffRadcliffe 19 Oct 2011
Tryfan West Face from Pen yr Ole Wen, 3 kbA good challenge for any fit walker which also is one of the best walks in Snowdownia. The route ascends all the peaks over 3000 feet starting with Snowdon (Yr Wydffa) and finishing with Foel Fras in the Carneddau.

25.20 miles, 40.55 km, 2,983m ascent, 4:19 – 24 hours. Llanberis is the nearest town to the start of the walk. Slightly further away is Capel Curig. It is also possible to finish the walk at Bethesda.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=125
 Banned User 77 19 Oct 2011
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe: Quickest route on Crib goch is back to bwlch coch and descend from there.
 Rory Shaw 19 Oct 2011
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe: I dont think that description of crib goch is helpful in the slightest
In reply to Rory Shaw: "SH6108255163 From the cairn, descend and scramble along the ridge in an easterly direction. The right-hand side of the ridge for this section is much less exposed than the other side. The first major obstacles to be reached are known as the Crib Goch Pinnacles. The easiest way to navigate these is to make your way around the first pinnacle on its right hand side before ascending it to its top. Descend the other side with care along a narrow rock shelf to the safety of a gully. This section is very exposed! Climb up the gully and ascend the second pinnacle up its left hand side. After another 200 metres you should reach a small pile of stones that mark the true summit if Crib Goch."

The left hand side is where you want to be as you decsend CyD anyway, but then the nose provides a short section of scrambling which can be tricky. The description glosses over this section which is still pretty dangerous and exposed.

I also think climb the first pinnacle. Around the side seems more dangerous to me and up and over easy and secure, just exposed. I often traverse the second pinnacle, climb to the true summit and back track to bwlch coch.
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to GeoffRadcliffe) Quickest route on Crib goch is back to bwlch coch and descend from there.

Agreed. That was the way Colin Donnely ran it, so yes it is quicker. But I thought that it was a more satisfying experience to do the whole ridge.
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe: I never liked the N ridge that much as its a bit lose but ran it last month and seemed less bothered by it. I take clients up and back because its quicker and safer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...