NEW ROUTE CARD: Cnicht - The Welsh Matterhorn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The summit of Cnicht backed by Tremadog Bay, 3 kbWhen viewed from across the coastal plain in the west, Cnicht takes on the appearance of a perfect pyramidal mountain reminiscent of a miniature Matterhorn, though sadly that’s where the comparison with Zermatt’s finest ends. Our Cnicht is a bit of an imposter and far from being an isolated peak it is actually the high point of an elevated ridge rising from a boggy tableland. Ok, so now you’ve had the bad news it’s time for the good and there’s plenty of it! This walk around Cnicht and it aqueous environs is one of the most enjoyable in Snowdonia offering some of the finest views in the national park, a smidgeon of optional scrambling and a tour of the most enchanting llynau imaginable. And the best bit? Beyond Cnicht’s airy summit you will more than likely be on your own and wondering what you have done to deserve such a sublime area all to yourself. Enjoy, but don’t tell everyone!

6.32 miles, 10.17 km, 724m ascent, 4:30 – 6 hours. Beddgelert

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=127
 Denni 10 Oct 2011
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:
Nick,
Loving the route cards, keep up the good work! Oddly enough, I was throwing out some Trail mags yesterday and there was an article in one of them by you. Turn your hand to mag journalism, it was very good.
Den
 stonemaster 10 Oct 2011
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: It's a favourite, usually go up from Croesor. Nice one.
 Calder 10 Oct 2011

Do you work for Trail magazine or something? Comparing some lump in Wales to the Matterhorn is the kind of thing they'd do.
In reply to Calder: It's actually quite widely known as the Welsh Matterhorn though if you read Nick's route you might spot that he's taking that with the pinch of salt it deserves: 'Cnicht takes on the appearance of a perfect pyramidal mountain reminiscent of a miniature Matterhorn, though sadly that’s where the comparison with Zermatt’s finest ends. Our Cnicht is a bit of an imposter...'
 Greg Chapman 10 Oct 2011

Well done. Looks excellent reads well and is really nicely/simply laid out. Liked your Blencathra card too.
 DH 10 Oct 2011
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: Great work! Looks really good.
 Calder 10 Oct 2011
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Valid, I didn't read it. Turns out I was right though (I hadn't seen Denni's response when I posted earlier).
 Mike Peacock 10 Oct 2011

Nick, your unnamed lake is called Llyn yr Ogof.

And Wikipedia, as ever, is a decent start for info on burnt mounds:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt_mound
 More-On 10 Oct 2011
In reply to Mike Peacock: More info on burnt mounds and other archaeological features (or 'heritage assets' in the current parlance) can be found at:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/caring/listing/criteria-for-protection/I...
In reply to everyone: Thanks folks, it's a belter of a route. I really appreciate the feedback and the info on Burnt Mounds and my 'Innominate Llyn'

In reply to Calder: Funnily enough I applied for a job at Trail a few weeks ago and didn't even get an interview! Too old and ugly no doubt
 rustaldo 08 Nov 2011
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: how suitable is this route for dogs? could you include a footnote on the route cards to the "dog-friendly" or "unfriendly" nature of the walks.. that would be handy..
In reply to rustaldo: That's a good idea! As it happens this walk is dog friendly, however the final ascent to Cnicht is quite steep so as long as 'Rover' is sensible he should be alright!
 rustaldo 08 Nov 2011
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: cool, thanks for that! are there any n.welsh "walks" on the site that you'd advise against taking a dog on?
In reply to rustaldo: Most 'walks' should be fine and though others will disagree with me I'd be wary about taking dogs on things like Crib Goch and other scrambles.

Of course it greatly depends on the dog and the owner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...