NEW ROUTE CARD: Blencathra's classic ridges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Logbook 07 Oct 2011
Solitude on Sharp Edge, 4 kbBlencathra is not only one the oldest mountains in Lakeland, it’s one of the finest too. Exhibiting a strong spirit of independence it is a favourite of young and old alike with myriad routes to its lofty summit where, on a fine day the fellwalker will be rewarded some of the best views in the district. Complimenting the easier walking routes are two excellent scrambling ridges, one of which has attained classic status and for good reason; in an area where narrow arêtes are in short supply Sharp Edge is in my opinion the daddy, gifting the scrambler and adventurous walker with the airiest, most sensational tightrope Lakeland has to offer.

5 miles, 8 km, 796m ascent, 4 – 6 hours. Keswick

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=118
 Jamie Hageman 07 Oct 2011
In reply to UKH Logbook: I agree, Sharp Edge is a great scramble when the rock is dry. When wet however, it turns into a slippery nightmare. My Vibram soled Aku Croda scrambling boots afforded about as much purchase as a layer of verglass - utterly lethal, and so sharp edge is not somehwere I'd recommend in the wet.
In reply to Jamie Hageman: True Jamie - and he says this in the route description
 MHutch 07 Oct 2011
In reply to UKH Logbook:

I've always thought it best done the other way around - up Halls Fell, 'down' Sharp Edge. Sharp Edge itself is fairly level, so you don't lose anything doing it the other way.

How do you calculate the time needed for the circuit? Seems quite generous, though I suppose that's no bad thing.
 Wesley Orvis 07 Oct 2011
In reply to UKH Logbook:

Did it in the wet, wind and mist on Sunday and is the only way to make Sharp Edge adventurous, in the mist you can imgine the drops are vertical and much higher, in the wet it makes the slate like verglass and you cannot get away without three or four points of contact on the rock at all times and the wind just makes it a hell of a lot more exciting. The obvious and main reason is you get the place to yourself, whereas on a sunny afternoon you get queues of oaps lined up waiting to cross, even families with children taking there time and it generally feels anything but a mountain enviroment. Done it seven or eight times in the summer and never really enjoyed it as much as in the wind rain and mist.
 Andrew Deacon 07 Oct 2011
In reply to UKH Logbook: Nice to see you're writing on here now Nick. Good stuff.
Removed User 07 Oct 2011
In reply to UKH Logbook: the best route for me is go up both,,, up halls fell first then down to the tarn and back up sharps edge, then take your pick as to how get back down.
 Skyfall 07 Oct 2011
In reply to UKH Logbook:

I love Sharp Edge and have done it many times in all conditions. I agree it is quite treacherous in the wet (almost worse than in snow/ice) but, to my mind, that just spices it up a bit. I've often used it as a convenient way to introduce walkers to more serious mountaineering - most people who enjoy Sharp Edge get caught by the bug. It was also my first winter 'climb' in terrible conditions and I've been up it in winter with friends and their dog. And been buzzed by a Tornado whilst on the most exposed section. It's different every time but always have a comfortable familiarity.

I have to admit, however, that I think the Halls Fell descent (or ascent) is over-rated. Having done it a number of times I generally now just do Sharp Edge, visit the top, and run down Scales Fell - easy and enjoyable. The whole round that way can be done in 2.5 hours give or take.
In reply to Andrew Deacon: Thanks Andrew, there's more to follow I don't know about you but the route cards look superb and what's more they're free! A fantastic resource for walkers
 Joez 09 Oct 2011
In reply to UKH Logbook:

Just getting an error saying its unfinished and unavailable to the public
In reply to LittleJoe: It's up there now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...