PRODUCT NEWS: Grower's Cup. Fresh coffee. Just brewed. On the go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 25 Aug 2011
Ralph White of Rosker brewing up using Grower’s Cup , 4 kbWith Grower's Cup brewing a cup of fresh, Fair Trade organic coffee on the hill is easy peasy. Grower's Cup is a durable lightweight bag filled with some of the world's best coffee. All you need to do is pour in hot water, wait and enjoy. This new, innovative product will be exclusively distributed by Rosker Ltd.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=3975
 hexcentric 25 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

I for one welcome this product. It sounds swish.

Although I wish the picture told a better story, Off to their website now I guess.
 More-On 25 Aug 2011
In reply to hexcentric: I'd agree it sounds great (and the website is informative) but at £2.50 a go I think I'll be sticking with an instant solution for now.
 Dave B 25 Aug 2011
In reply to More-On:

I like coffee... but that's more than the coffee chains charge, unless you get more than one pck for £2.50

Or two of these at 24p each....

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-8011-Waitrose+10+coffe...

or
Stabuck Via instant at about £40p a serving (if you think its worth it!)

or

http://www.aeropresscoffee.co.uk/

at £25 (10 servings of the other stuff) and whatever coffee you want...

or the primus etapower pot and coffee filter at about £40, but you have a pot you can cook in too.

JR 25 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

At basecamp on the baltoro the taiwanese team had some single use coffee sachets sort of like this though they basically opened them out and clipped a stiff bit of card over opposing lips of the cup. The coffee was in a (now open) pouch and you poured the hotw*ter through it and let it drip through. Then you just binned the sachet.

Worked really well and they said it was very cheap. Can't find them either in the shops or on google, maybe it's a far eastern thing?

Or you've got the jetboil coffee press or the mug press. You can use what coffee you like then and don't have to carry much waste out.

Shan't be buying these at over £2 a pop... Can get a costa for that..
 Glyno 26 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

"At £2.50 and super-lightweight, this little pouch of delicious fresh coffee will become an essential part of many outdoor enthusiast's packing list".

I don't think so
 Colestyron 26 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

What an absolute waste. We don't need more disposable stuff on the mountain, or in the world in general.

The clip-on one-use sachets used by the Koreans are definitely a Far East thing (I spent a few years in the East). The problem with them (besides being disposable) is that the quality of the coffee is absolutely terrible.

Best solution for coffee on the mountainside? A plastic cone filter. Weighs next to nothing, costs next to nothing, and makes a decent cup. Filter paper improves the taste, but isn't strictly necessary. MSR makes a good paperless one.

But you've got to buy good coffee in the first place. I have tried every major brand in the UK, and the only coffee worth buying in any supermarket is M&S Luxury Italian. That's the cheap option. For better coffee, you have to go to a roaster like Monmouth, Square Mile, etc in London or others elsewhere. Shit coffee, whether in a French Press or £10,000 professional rig or boil-in-the-bag, is still shit.
 Tamati 26 Aug 2011
In reply to Dave B:
>

Exactly what I was thinking, I've used those little coffee filters loads of time. I can't see what this product achieves that a little filter won't.

Plus....That coffee looked pretty weedy.

Onge 28 Aug 2011
In reply to Tamati: I agree, Total wast of time.
 uncontrollable 29 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

No, No, No, No ....
5-8 minutes brew time, 2,50 per cup, prepacked amounts of powder...
Even thought I would never be seen drinking instant coffee and think it quite normal to brew filter coffee at hanging belays I rather just throw the coffee in the cup and drink it unfiltered... sorry not for me
 subalpine 29 Aug 2011
In reply to Colestyron:

add to boiling water in pan and stir. let grains settle, decant into mug.
simples
 Colestyron 30 Aug 2011

Yes, always dangerous to bring up the apocryphal 'Cowboy Coffee' in the UK, but indeed just boil some coffee, no filter or plunger needed, and add a splash of cold water and the grains settle instantly. Practice is definitely needed to get the hang of this one.
 walkingOn 30 Aug 2011
In reply to Colestyron: I love my coffee I have costa in the house but in the hill sorry it's got to be instant and easy so hats off to Kenco for their amazing 3-1 and at home I don't even take sugar but the 2-1 in the hill ..... YUK get me the sugar
stephiemad 30 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

I work on behalf of Growers Cup and wanted to thank you all for your feedback. Just a couple of points we wanted to raise. First, each sachet provides you with three cups of coffee. That wasn't mentioned, sorry. The coffee is of an excellent quality and consists of beans selected from the best of the best. The roasting process accentuates this. And those of you that referred to instant coffee as a cheaper alternative, that's true, but we regard instant as a completely different taste experience altogether. Hope this clarifies things and thanks again for your feedback.

7W18b6eG5h 31 Aug 2011
In reply to stephiemad: 0.5l for three cups of coffee?
Shirebikes 01 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:
http://shop.handpresso.com/en/index.php?act=detail&id=1&no_page=0

this i believe is the daddy of crag coffee...
Shirebikes 01 Sep 2011
 alisonk 01 Sep 2011
In reply to Shirebikes: I've got a handpresso and its the best thing ever for camping. I buy the pods so there is no mess and they bio degrade very quickly.
 winhill 01 Sep 2011
In reply to alisonj:
> (In reply to Shirebikes) I've got a handpresso and its the best thing ever for camping. I buy the pods so there is no mess and they bio degrade very quickly.

Why is quick biodegradation useful?

You mean there isn't much mess if you leave them at the crag?
 winhill 01 Sep 2011
In reply to stephiemad:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> I work on behalf of Growers Cup and wanted to thank you all for your feedback. Just a couple of points we wanted to raise. First, each sachet provides you with three cups of coffee. That wasn't mentioned, sorry.

It is mentioned that you get three cups, which does reduce the cost per cup, so long as you wanted three cups.

I guess if you only wanted one it stills works out the same.
 digby 12 Sep 2011
In reply to alisonj:

The price!!! What's wrong with an Italian Stove top coffee maker for a tenner?
 joecareless 16 Sep 2011
In reply to stephiemad: yes, you have created instant trash as foiled plastic is not easily ,if at all, recycled and also all coffee beans are roasted to accentuate the taste it's bloody horrible otherwise, please coffee is best made simply no gimmicks, no unnecessary packaging and the carbon footprint of coffee is big enough as it is without more plastic added to it's bill!
gouezeri 16 Sep 2011
stephiemad 20 Sep 2011
In reply to joecareless:
Just responding to a couple of points you made there. First, there is no aluminium or other metals in the packaging, which is 6.8g paper (=sheet of A4 paper), 7.7g PE (made from carbon and hydrogen which are not critical materials for the environment) and 1.6g of PET.

The amount of PET used is quite a few times less than what you get in a bottle made for water.

The production, consumption and waste of Growers Cup is such that 20 pouches = 1kg/CO2, and to put that into perspective 1kg/CO2 is equal to driving your car for 6km. In other words, driving your car more than 300mt produces more than having a couple of cups of our coffee.

Hope that clears things up. If any UKC poster wants to pose a genuine question on Grower's Cup then we'll endeavour to respond. Have a great day.
 jonnie3430 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Colestyron:
>
> Yes, always dangerous to bring up the apocryphal 'Cowboy Coffee' in the UK, but indeed just boil some coffee, no filter or plunger needed, and add a splash of cold water and the grains settle instantly. Practice is definitely needed to get the hang of this one.

I've always made coffee in a similar fashion outdoors. Just add a spoon or two to a cup, pour in hot water and stir. Stir again after a minute or two and all the coffee grains settle on the bottom so the coffee can be drunk off the top, you just have to leave the last mouthfull which has the grounds in it, just as you would leave the last mouthfull of a cup of tea in a limescale area. You can practise at home, I think it's hard to get wrong, never heard of adding cold water either though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...