DEAL OF THE MONTH: Alpkit Tents Are On The Way!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 22 Aug 2011
Zhota in the Alps, 3 kbFirst shipment of our new Alpkit Mountain Tents has just left our factory. With three tents in the range there is a model for every high altitude adventure possible.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=3987
In reply to UKC Gear:

Nice, good work guys!
 Dave 88 22 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

3.8kg for a 2 man seems quite heavy.
 winhill 22 Aug 2011
In reply to Dave 88:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> 3.8kg for a 2 man seems quite heavy.

Not if it's a bombproof mountain tent.
 urbanmonkey 22 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Alpkit stuff in the past has done well because it was sold cheap and was OK quality. I think trying to enter the tent market with no pedigree at terra nova prices they are going to struggle but best of luck to them.
 Jody 22 Aug 2011
In reply to urbanmonkey:

I agree, 350 quid for a 3.8kg, 2 man tent based on a preexisting design from an untested tent maker; not the most exciting offer. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Fluvial 22 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

I agree they are way over what they said they would be - I read somewhere they were going to come in at about £150 - Mid range vango prices where they will definately sell more since £350 like most of the rest has said is entering top fo the range catergory.
Kane 22 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: They look good. Don't know what all the comments above are talking about. 3.8kg is light for a mountain tent - I'd be interested to see what poles and fabrics they've used. Also for comparison a TN 2 man quasar retails at £520 and their 4 man terra firma at £900, so Alpkit's £350 and £450 price tags look very appealing. It all depends if the tents perform well and given Alpkit's history of combining good design and quality materials I'd be surprised if they didn't.
 Dave 88 22 Aug 2011
In reply to winhill:

I stand corrected. Didn't realise it was suitable for high altitude.
 jezb1 22 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: The thing with terra nova tents is that you can find them at discounted prices that take their price much closer to the alpkit stuff.

They might be good, but at those prices there's no way I'm taking a punt on an "untested" tent.

I've had some quality issues in the past with ak stuff, their customer service has always been spot on. I'm interested in seeing how they perform & last.
 Damo 23 Aug 2011
In reply to Kane:
> (In reply to UKC Gear) 3.8kg is light for a mountain tent ... It all depends if the tents perform well and given Alpkit's history of combining good design and quality materials I'd be surprised if they didn't.

No, I agree with the other comments. Alpkit was always basic, nothing fancy and nothing light, compared to their best contemporaries. That was their thing - cheap, basic, good enough for the job. So long as the job was nothing too serious. I was always unimpressed when I saw their kit in the flesh, particularly the down jackets, despite their nice website, good service and countless breathless fanmails on UKC.

As for a 'mountain tent' it depends what you mean, there is a range of possibilities. Tents in the UK, in UK currency, are very expensive compared to tents elsewhere, so in broader terms the Alpkit tents, if built to the same specs as their other lines, do not look to be very good value at all.
 Styx 23 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: It just seems like an odd addition to the Alpkit range, they do a great range of car camping and entry level mountain kit. I would have expected them to continue along these lines and introduce a range of backpacking/family tents rather than fairly niche and expensive high altitude tents. I think they've missed a trick here, ho hum.
 wilkie14c 23 Aug 2011
In reply to Styx: I fully agree with that, a 2 man bomb proof car camping tent with a little living space aimed at climbers and weekend warriors would have been nailed on. Perhaps the market is already saturated as it is, TN make the mountain stuff, Vango have the bargain to mid range market and stuff like Outwell have the family end. Plenty of other manufacturers of repute dabble in the market too. Hard market to compete in
 TobyA 23 Aug 2011
In reply to Styx:
> It just seems like an odd addition to the Alpkit range, they do a great range of car camping and entry level mountain kit.

I think that's rather unfair on Alpkit - just because their business model means low prices it doesn't actually mean their gear is "entry level" or "car camping" - or at least not some of it. I was kayak touring last weekend and slept on my new Numo mat. Yes - I'd like a neo-air to save an extra 100 grammes, but the Numo competes with the likes of Exped and Pacific Outdoor's similar products - not Argos. I've not used their sleeping bags but a friend who bought one has nothing but praise for its quality, and has 30 years experience of outdoors equipment, including running his own shop at one point. All the other stuff I have from Alpkit (various drybags for instance!) just seems to be different from other brands because it's cheaper, not in terms of quality.

I think if Alpkit has a weakness it's the diversity of stuff they sell - so there is not an obvious core to what they do. DMM makes technical climbing gear, Marmot makes mountain clothing; MSR makes top of the range stoves and cooking equipment etc. etc. Alpkit do great tent pegs, and dry bags, and some cute t-shirts, and some waterproof jeans, technical down sleeping bags, TI cutlery and now pretty solid looking mountain tents. All the stuff seems to generally work rather well - you just have no idea what they will come up with next! Bike parts perhaps?
 Ian Rock 23 Aug 2011
In reply to TobyA: I think I have to agree about diversity regarding Alpkit's stock. Obviously I haven't a clue what their business model is, but they always, always, always sell out of their down products. Maybe they should cut the "fashion" items and concentrate on getting down, ti and headlamp products on the shelf for an entire year... as these items are exception value for money, most sought out and invariably sell out within months.
 TobyA 23 Aug 2011
In reply to Ian Rock:
> Obviously I haven't a clue what their business model is, but they always, always, always sell out of their down products. Maybe they should cut the "fashion" items and concentrate on getting down, ti and headlamp products on the shelf for an entire year...

And some of the dry bags as well. Finally got one of the ones with extra attachment points on recently - its great, but they were out of stock for ages. I've found it a bit annoying that the product page is still there, sort of mocking you because you can't actually buy that product!

I do like the way they actually explain from time to time the problems they are having with their manufacturing partners - I guess all the firms have the same, we just don't hear about it.
 Jody 23 Aug 2011
In reply to TobyA:

"I've not used their sleeping bags but a friend who bought one has nothing but praise for its quality"

If this is referring to me, I only had the bag for one trip and sold it because it was too short.

Like my alpkit filo jacket and bouldering mat, the sleeping bag quality was good on its own, but very good when you considered the price. For a 350 pound tent I would require better quality than I have experienced already for Alpkit. Especially, as already mentioned, you seem to be able to buy other branded tents at discount price from various outlets.

I agree with the previous comment, that there might have been more opportunity in the 2-3 season backpacking/climbing tent markets.

Good point about the diversity of stuff they sell, although good quality, low price outdoor lifestyle products might be their core! (+friendly and efficient service).

TobyA 23 Aug 2011
In reply to Jody:

> If this is referring to me, I only had the bag for one trip and sold it because it was too short.

Nope, Dave got one of warmest ones before he went to with his family to Nepal in winter. He seemed very pleased with it, particularly for the money. Anyway, you've not owned a gear shop!

> Good point about the diversity of stuff they sell, although good quality, low price outdoor lifestyle products might be their core! (+friendly and efficient service).

I guess 'direct to consumer' is their model, rather than any particular product type, and like you say great service (although the courier they use was totally hopeless on my last order).

gethin_allen 23 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:
hmm now let me see,
Terra Nova quasar for £348
http://www.springfield-camping.co.uk/Tents/Mountain+Tents/Terra+Nova/Quasar...
or £350 for a alpkit tent that nobody knows anything about.

or for those on a budget a vango vortex or hurricane for ~£250

or for a really tight budget a coleman phact
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coleman-phact-x-2-p129979

All very similar designs and all would probably do the job for 99% of the stuff that most people will do, obviously you get the bells and whistles with the TN ones but they are £250 more than the cheapest option.
 Ramblin dave 23 Aug 2011
In reply to Ian Rock:
> (In reply to TobyA) I think I have to agree about diversity regarding Alpkit's stock. Obviously I haven't a clue what their business model is, but they always, always, always sell out of their down products. Maybe they should cut the "fashion" items and concentrate on getting down, ti and headlamp products on the shelf for an entire year... as these items are exception value for money, most sought out and invariably sell out within months.

I'm sort of in the middle. I'm roughly aware of how the direct selling thing means you're kind of buying at trade prices so good stuff is cheaper, but worry that
i) it takes a while to break the association of cheap = poorly made or badly designed, which has happened for their sleeping bags and jackets because loads of people have got them and say they're great, but that hasn't happened yet for the tents or various of their other stuff and
ii) making a good tent is pretty difficult at any price, and I'd be a little cautious about buying a tent from any company without a history of making the things.
Alpjim 25 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

It is extremely interesting to hear peoples perception of our brand and for that matter other brands also. Marmot, a Mountain Clothing brand. If you saw there booth at any large trade show you'd be surprised to see only a portion of the stand dedicated to true mountain clothing. The rest is filled with casual clothing, expedition bags, sleeping bags, tents, bivi bags, gloves, etc. The same can be said for many of the other brands.

We, Alpkit, are in a very privileged position in being both the brand and the retailer, something still very unique. I think we can put our hands up to having a change in focus a couple of years ago, where by in the past we saw price as more important than quality. The focus is now truly on quality. Being the brand and the retailer exposes all our products to all our customers.

We did originally hope the tents would have been considerably less than they are shaping up to be. However we can hand on heart and say we have not compromised anything on the mountain tents to save a few cents here and there. Neither have we jumped hands and feet into the tent market, our warehouse isn't going to be over flowing with tents and it won't effect any other part of our business.

If you would like to take a look at the tents we are going to be setting them up at the Cardiff International Paddlefest 3rd/4th September. The event is free to enter, there are fees if you want to paddle. Full details can be found here http://www.ciww.com/content.asp?nav=52&parent_directory_id=1

I hope to see a few of you there.

Cheers, Alpjim

p.s. we are working on a range of lightweight backpacking tents at the moment, if you have any comments you would like us to consider in the design process please let us know either here or drop us an email.

Andy Hardy 25 Aug 2011
In reply to Alpjim:

I really like the look of the mahoosive tent*, BUT, for £650 I'd want to see one for real. Will you be exhibiting these anywhere?

*As a replacement for the currently ageing family mothership.
 Tamati 25 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Regarding AlpJim's Post.

This is why we buy things from Alpkit. How many other manufacturers post on UKC thanking users for essentially critical comments? As others have said, their customer service is second to none.

They produce a range of gear. Some budget, some high end. Some of it costs nothing but performs exceptionally well. e.g. The Gamma Headtorch

Alpkit have their niche, this is evident from their success.

How about a UKC-Gear review of the Alpkit tents?
 George Ormerod 25 Aug 2011
In reply to Alpjim:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> p.s. we are working on a range of lightweight backpacking tents at the moment, if you have any comments you would like us to consider in the design process please let us know either here or drop us an email.

How about something suitable for a mountain marathon? Light, cheapish, for occasional use where a bit of discomfort can be tolerated.

CurlyStevo 25 Aug 2011
In reply to Kane:
"3.8kg is light for a mountain tent "

Really? my ultra quaser is 2.8kg which is at the upper end of what I'd like a 2 man tent that is meant for the mountains to weigh.
Kane 25 Aug 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Kane)
> "3.8kg is light for a mountain tent "
>
> Really? my ultra quaser is 2.8kg which is at the upper end of what I'd like a 2 man tent that is meant for the mountains to weigh.

The ultra quasar isn't what I meant by a mountain tent. I was more thinking along the lines of tents you can use in harsh mountain conditions for a long period of time - things like the quasar, MH trango, Hilliberg Tarra etc. All of which come in the 4kg mark.

But I suppose it all depends which group the Alpkit tent falls into.

Blue Straggler 25 Aug 2011
In reply to Tamati:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Regarding AlpJim's Post.
>
> This is why we buy things from Alpkit. How many other manufacturers post on UKC thanking users for essentially critical comments?

DMM
 TobyA 26 Aug 2011
In reply to Alpjim:
> Marmot, a Mountain Clothing brand. If you saw there booth at any large trade show you'd be surprised to see only a portion of the stand dedicated to true mountain clothing. The rest is filled with casual clothing, expedition bags, sleeping bags, tents, bivi bags, gloves, etc.

That was me. It was sort of pulled out of thin air when I need an example, but they don't make backpacking rucksacks for example - so unlike say Lowe, I don't think of them as a 'backpack firm'- but agree, many firms do a bit of everything these days.

You need a mission statement Jim!

Only joking, having had to suffer through god-awful "away days" with a "consultant" - stuck in some pokey hotel back room doing stupid 'workshops' to come up with a pointless and anodyne mission statement - you don't. Or the "go nice places, do nice things" does perfectly well already.
 Nigel Modern 30 Aug 2011
In reply to TobyA: '...Bike parts perhaps? ...'

You are going to piss yourself! (laughing)

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16623&...
 Nigel Modern 30 Aug 2011
In reply to Alpjim: 'p.s. we are working on a range of lightweight backpacking tents at the moment, if you have any comments you would like us to consider in the design process please let us know either here or drop us an email.'

Lightweight tents...maybe...hooped bivvi with detachable porch for getting in and out staying dry when it's raining and to cover your rucksack and boots overnight. Leave porch in your rucksac (or at home)in dry weather.

I'll test it for you for free...currently I use a Rab Ridge Raider plus a Rig 7 tarp. Tarp is overkill unless in a group.
 TobyA 31 Aug 2011
In reply to Nigel Modern: I had actually seen them, I like the royal wedding one!

I was canoe touring the other weekend and suddenly realised over the years I bought a quite a number of different bits and bobs from Alpkit - most seemed to be in my boat that weekend. So shall endeavour to finally putting up a little review of my stuff on my blog today.
 Big Steve 31 Aug 2011
In reply to Alpjim:
> p.s. we are working on a range of lightweight backpacking tents at the moment, if you have any comments you would like us to consider in the design process please let us know either here or drop us an email.

How about a lightweight backpacking tent long enough for a 6'3 person to sleep in without his head and or feet pushing against the inner tent.
In reply to Big Steve: YES! This would be a real selling point for me. I NEVER fit properly in lightweight 1-2 man tents. I've taken to bivying for the extra comfort....
 Nigel Modern 02 Sep 2011
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

'I NEVER fit properly in lightweight 1-2 man tents. I've taken to bivying for the extra comfort....'

It's not just big people like you but also hobbits like me who find that bivvying is more comfortable than 2 people in eg a Dragonfly

Hooped bivvi with a small (detachable) porch or a bivvy porch which fits most hooped bivvis? You need a porch to enable wet gear removal, otherwise it's a tarp which may blow down (or away). A porch could be deployed as and when needed in atrocious conditions, perhaps even from inside the bivvi.
levon 04 Sep 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

Saw the pre-production versions of these at the outdoor show in Birmingham and talked to the Alpkit guys. Every time I went to check on any of my bugbears with other tents (eg doors that drip into the inner when opened, zip flaps that snag, invisible guy lines, etc etc) they had thought of it and added a solution/designed out the bugs.

Personally I have only shared an expensive TNF tent once and it wasn't a happy experience, flaff to put up and heavy and a really silly door that poured water into the tent in the morning during typical Welsh weather, so i for one would more than happily buy an alpkit tent, they really have desinged them well - as all of their kit - by users for fellow users.

Dave 88 04 Sep 2011
In reply to Big Steve:

Nail on the head! It's so demoralising getting in your tent thinking "shall I have wet feet or a wet head tonight?".
 Wee Davie 04 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

I posted up a criticism of the pricing of the Alpkit indoor dry tooling thingies a while back and one of the Alpguys posted a response about the costs of making/ designing them etc, which was fair.
I have to say I was also intrigued by the new tent range but like many here I'd be much more tempted to buy a tent off them if they were continuing to target price points like they did with the excellent Phud pad.
I'm not sure this strategy of pushing the brand into the territory of the top end makes is a good one...
 Alex Ekins 24 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:
Myself, Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker have been sleeping in a Alpkit Zhota while on our USA Wide Boyz tour. We really like it. Plenty of pockets, comfortable for the three of us and It has stood up to the Wyoming winds very well.
 TheAvenger 24 Sep 2011
In reply to Alex Ekins:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
> Myself, Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker have been sleeping in a Alpkit Zhota while on our USA Wide Boyz tour. We really like it. Plenty of pockets, comfortable for the three of us and It has stood up to the Wyoming winds very well.

How much did you pay for it?
 Kenny Stocker 25 Sep 2011
In reply to TheAvenger: Alex, Tom and Pete kindly offered to live in one for two months so they have an early production model. They appear to be paying for it in lost skin!
 lithos 25 Sep 2011
In reply to Big Steve:

> How about a lightweight backpacking tent long enough for a 6'3 person to sleep in without his head and or feet pushing against the inner tent.

have a look at the TN Solar Comp 2 - brilliant and long

that design is great what it needs is a separate bathtube groundsheet (that works as a bathtub)
that can be used instead of an inner (and less than 200 quid - for the groundsheet - honest check TN site)
Alpnick 30 Sep 2011
In reply to all:

We been double checking the stock and making a few changes to the site. The tents, updated information and photos are now live.

http://www.alpkit.com/tents

Cheers

Nick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...