Snow and Rock "price matching" rant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 07 Aug 2011
Afternoon folks,
hope you are all having a grand weekend so far.

My other half wanted a new Arcteryx jacket and was of course not going to pay 400 odd quid, why would you?

We know that our local Snow and Rock will price match anything from the web so we looked around and found her an Arcteryx Pro Shell for just over 200 squids.

Went in today and asked the chap. Told him what jacket, yes they stock it, gave him the web details and he verified the price. S and R's price was £449 so a good saving to be had. He then told us he couldn't price match the jackets because the one on the net was red and they only had black left!!!! Same jacket, different colour. We don't stock the red one because it is a very unpopular color, said he.

I asked to see the manager and she told me again they couldn't price match it because the colour was different adding, we don't have any red left because IT IS the most popular colour and we sold out pretty straight away.

She then said she could take 20 percent off the jacket as a good will gesture at which point my other half politely told her to shove her jacket up her backside and spitefully stood next to the counter and ordered the one from the net, petty I know, but actually quite funny.

Other half then suggested that if they were going to be that petty with colours that at least they should get their story correct about the colours being popular or not to which the manageress replied, sorry about that, but a few members of staff wouldn't know the technicalities of the jackets we stock nevermind the colours.

Absolutely useless shop, why I bothered in the first place I don't know. Rant over.
In reply to Denni: Perhaps an issue for Trading Standards, unless of course their advertising blurb specifically mentions this.

Al
 DreadyCraig 07 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:
Seems fair to me, when ever I have products price matched they always insist on the same size, colour, delivery costs etc.
OP Denni 07 Aug 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

Actually Al,

I thought about that. They don't mention anything about colours etc, I was only told it had to be the exact piece of kit and size.

Buggers
Bellie 07 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni: says in the blurb it has to be same size, colour and spec.
 JJL 07 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:

I don't understand. Why don't you buy it online at the price you want?
OP Denni 07 Aug 2011
In reply to Bellie:

Maybe I'm moaning for no reason then but the chap I talked to last week, said jacket and size.

Seems I am wrong...

We strive to make our prices in the UK the most competitive prices across Europe, so if you find the same product for a lower price (in the same size, colour and specification) we will be happy to refund the difference. The product must be in stock with our competitor when the Price Pledge is registered. We will match all store based and internet offers in store and via Snow+rock.Com. NB when matching internet prices the cost of shipping goods will be added to the cost of the item and the combined cost will be matched.

Aaah well, live and learn. Still not going back there though and that is final!!
OP Denni 07 Aug 2011
In reply to JJL:

We did, but as they price match and it is just round the corner, we thought we'd pop in.

hexcentric 07 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni: The terms of their Pledge seem pretty clear and the offer of 20% off a different colour seems very fair.
OP Denni 07 Aug 2011
In reply to hexcentric:

Yup, correctamundo, but after asking one of the chaps and being told the colour was irrelevant, I didn't check the terms as I took his word as gospel so that is probably why I was miffed.

Still, can't be right all the time and missus bought the jacket that was £250 cheaper. Next time I'll check rather than take a staff member's advice.
 nastyned 07 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni: I've just got a load of bargains at the sale in their shop in Chertsey so they're in my good books at the moment.
 Big Steve 07 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni: The Go Outdoors price pledge is very good, I have ordered different sizes and colours before with no problems. They will beat the best price you can find by 10%
 Fluvial 07 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:
> ......to which the manageress replied, sorry about that, but a few members of staff wouldn't know the technicalities of the jackets we stock nevermind the colours.
>
>

Class, I am sure the area manager would like to hear about that!
 TrevorWells 07 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni: I cant fault S+R. My local shop is awesome. The advice and help is free and priceless. They match the Go Outdoors price pledge too if/when they can.

Re: colours. Shops sometimes get exclusive colours as this help narrow down their price match promise. Nothing to do with the shops but more to do with head office with shops like S+R, Cotswold, Ellis Brigham etc. This limits people to getting a discount.
Wonko The Sane 07 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni: Two points:

They are correct. Go look for an Arcteryx top online and the price, even online, will be colour dependant. So they have a good point.

Second, Snow+Rock are shite. Awful attitude on them, gear is bloody expensive and they carry only stock they can shift quickly. they don't even sell static rope and when I asked, the reply was 'we try to stock only stuff useful for climbing'
I hate the shop and give my business to Go Outdoors, who give a brilliant service (but don't stock Arcteryx)
I'd go to a small shop but I tend to only climb in local quarries rather than hopping off to wales or Scotland etc.
 kevin stephens 07 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:
> (In reply to Bellie)
>
> Maybe I'm moaning for no reason

Nail on head!
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: invitation to treat, not a contractual obligation.
OP Denni 07 Aug 2011
In reply to kevin stephens:
> (In reply to Denni)
> [...]
>
> Nail on head!

I know!!
 Mr.Ric 07 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni: Which shop did you see the offer on???
nedmoran 08 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni: I bought a pair of Scarpa sl boots from the gateshead store about 2 years ago for around £160. Could've got them a little cheaper elsewhere, but they said i could wear them as much as possible for 6 weeks and if i found them uncomfortable and they couldn't sort the problem. They would swap them for a different pair of equal value. I took them back in within the 6 weeks(pains on the balls of my feet)and the lad got some super feet insoles out, bigged them up and asked me if i wanted them fit. I did so he took them away, cut them and put them in my boots. I said thanks and was about to walk out the shop, then he called me back and asked for £40 for the insoles. I honestly thought after the hard sell the lad gave me about doing everything to make the boots comfortable for me, that i was hard done by. Even though i said nothing and paid up.
 Hooo 09 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:
I quite like them, but usually go somewhere smaller or cheaper.
I spent two hours in the Covent Garden shop trying on every pair of rock boots they had. The next day I saw them cheaper, so called up. No problem, I went into a different shop with the receipt and got the difference back, plus the 10% BMC discount that I'd forgotten to claim in the first place. The manager of this little shop wasn't exactly overjoyed, but I don't blame him!
Wonko The Sane 09 Aug 2011
In reply to Hooo: Rather than price match, I prefer to give my business to the place which is already giving a decent price. As a reward for being lean.
 JimR 09 Aug 2011
In reply to Gunboat_Diplomat:

As a matter of principle I never give my business to price matchers. If they can't be upfront with the price why should they nick business from businesses that are.
nedmoran 09 Aug 2011
In reply to JimR: Couldn't agree more.
 Howard J 09 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni: I had excellent service from S+R when I was trying on a pair of high-altitude boots. They spent a great deal of time on me, starting with socks, insoles, then inner boots and finally the outer shells. I must have been in there the better part of 3 hours. When I took them back a few weeks later having decided the fit wasn't right, they took them back without question (only worn indoors of course).
 Hooo 09 Aug 2011
In reply to Gunboat_Diplomat:
I prefer to give my business to someone that's happy for me to spend 2 hours in their shop trying stuff on, rather than a discount dealer who has lower overheads because they don't provide the service. I'm willing to pay extra for that service, but if the good service shop will match the discounter's price, then it's all win for me.
 kat86 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:
I went to buy a snowboard from Snow and Rock a couple of years ago and the assistant tried to sell me a badly damaged one with a big chunk missing out of the edge of it for full price! When I pointed it out his response was something like, "Oh yeah I had noticed that..." He then offered me a £10 discount off it. So I left and bought one from somewhere else. It is a useless shop!
 Vaughany89 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni: It is legit I'm afraid. We have the same price match policy at Go Outdoors. Same type, same colour, same size, we have it in stock and they have the exact same in stock.
The theory being that you have the choice of buying it at that shop or at our shop.....Bit crap if your after a saving but unfortunately, them's the rules.
 Uluru 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Vaughany89: A cheeky question but what is the normal policy for Go Outdoors is a price which is advertised on the shelf is cheaper than what the till says. I've had an interesting experience of this recently. The person on the till apologised and called over the manager who just said it must be labelled incorrectly on the shelf. No apology or explanation and no offer to sell me the item at the shelf price.
In reply to Vaughany89:
> (In reply to Denni) It is legit I'm afraid. We have the same price match policy at Go Outdoors. Same type, same colour, same size, we have it in stock and they have the exact same in stock.
> The theory being that you have the choice of buying it at that shop or at our shop.....Bit crap if your after a saving but unfortunately, them's the rules.

To add, a company doesn't HAVE to sell anything to you they can refuse to accept your money just as easily as you can refuse their offer.
 Uluru 10 Aug 2011
In reply to higherclimbingwales: True and they didn't get my money. Mainly due to the attitude of the manager rather than the price difference.
 rallymania 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Uluru:

surely then you could have used their own price match against themselves?

well you say it's that, but on the shelf it's advertised at this price so you have to match it?

was it massively different in price?
jtkcc 11 Aug 2011
I had a bad experience at snow and rock. will never go back:
 Uluru 11 Aug 2011
In reply to rallymania:
> (In reply to Uluru)
>
> surely then you could have used their own price match against themselves?
>
> well you say it's that, but on the shelf it's advertised at this price so you have to match it?
>
> was it massively different in price?

Ha ha I like your train of thought .

It wasn't that different to be honest only £5.

Vaughany89 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Uluru: Usually it will be sold for the advertised price. I can't speak for the manager though. There decision is final and supersedes all other staff decision. Sorry if this isn't the answer you were hoping for.
J1234 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:
Flipping eck, you sound a right nasty pair, don`t get your own way, so you verbally insult the staff, then make a scene of ordering online in the store, then slate the store on a public forum, and you were in the wrong all along.
Bet Snow and Rock are glad to see the back of you two.
Go on tell us what firms you work pair for thats a paragon of customer care.
OP Denni 11 Aug 2011
In reply to sjc:

Man enough to admit when I am wrong, what is the matter with that?
Why shouldn't I take issue with the shop?

If they trained their staff properly in the first place and told them the correct information to give customers I wouldn't have had cause to be narked with them in the first place.

A nasty pair? lol

By the way, your last sentence may need restructuring, I have no idea what you are talking about.

If you are asking who we work for, I did 22 years in the Forces and am now a stay at home dad and my other half is one of those "nasty" nurses in the Navy who flies forward in a helicopter to pick injured servicemen and women from the front line.
 Stash 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:

Well as you know then, coming from the military that no matter how good your training is you will always get a few idiots passing through the system. Messing it up for the well trained members.

Shame you had a bad experience, I've always found them to be more than helpful and never really had a complaint.
 pencilled in 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:

A few local climbers I know have worked in Snow and Rock; when they were in it was a great shop. I think you need to find one with a climber in.
OP Denni 11 Aug 2011
In reply to nick ingram:

I agree Nick. When I go to the S and R in Cov Garden, I always chat to a guy called Rory.

He is a mountaineer, knows all the kit and is always up for a good chat about places rather than trying to sell me something or give incorrect info.

I guess as I have been there a few times and received a good service, to get the complete opposite is a bit disappointing.
J1234 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:
And if you`d read the T&C`s properley there would not have been a scene, did some light bulb not come on, £400 ish v £200 ish, maybe not like with like.
And yes you do sound a nasty pair, they pointed out the deal, correctly, still offered you an £80 discount and you get all snotty.
You talk about training, muppets like you waltz around screwing prices down, but when you walk in a store you want some highly trained individual, but at the end of the day are not prepared to pay for them, you want service but are not prepared to pay for it.
Personally I think you owe the person in the shop a personal apology.
OP Denni 12 Aug 2011
In reply to sjc:

Aah well, we are all entitled to our opinions. I'm sure I'm not going to splash my pants over someones opinion who I have never met.
Hope you have a nice weekend :0)
J1234 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:
Same to you, next thread a bet i`ll think you a great guy, and enjoy your jacket, £200 saving, sweet.
OP Denni 12 Aug 2011
In reply to sjc:
> (In reply to Denni)
> Same to you, next thread a bet i`ll think you a great guy, and enjoy your jacket, £200 saving, sweet.

I think I'll probably always think you're a knob ;0)
J1234 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:
Funnily that's what I think about anyone wearing Acteryx gear.
OP Denni 12 Aug 2011
In reply to sjc:

True, all these people are right knobs....

http://www.arcteryx.com/Athletes.aspx?EN
 Stash 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:

Hate to say it but they don't pay for them.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...