im off to everest, back in a mo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chris Georg 23 May 2003
the fastest time has been posted for an ascent from everest base camp to the summit,

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030523/80/e0nhm.html

go sherpa!!
 Stuart S 23 May 2003
In reply to Chris Georg:

I'm prepared to be shouted down on this, but the photo that accompanies the article looks suspiciously like K2 to me...
Chris Georg 23 May 2003
In reply to Stuart S: hmm, did'nt see it b4, but now you mention it, it does look quite un-everest like...
Henry 23 May 2003
In reply to Chris Georg:

Yeh-love the idea that not only can someone on this earth whip up the north face of the eiger and return before the porridge has had time to cool but now Everest can be done in less time than it takes to make a Christmas dinner. Man Alive.
OP james e @ school 26 May 2003
In reply to Stuart S: more shoddy journalism... make u wonder if they get any more than half of the middle east news righ.
def not everest and i don't thik its k2 as the glacier is way too small and the whole scale looks a bit small
(not an 8000m peak)
anyone else any ideas. it looks quite tasty.
james e
 Stuart S 26 May 2003
In reply to james e @ school:

Yeah - I think you're right about the glacier ruling out K2 as well. I was just looking at the shape of the peak, and assumed your typical journalist would reckon that a photo of one 8000m peak was as good as another...
 Nj 26 May 2003
In reply to Stuart S: I think it is K2
Hel 26 May 2003
In reply to Chris Georg:
The speed record's been broken again....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/2937734.stm

Hxx
 Stuart S 26 May 2003
In reply to Nj:

I think the shape of the mountain itself is very K2-like, but think that the glaciers at the foot of the photo terminate too soon for it to be a true Himalayan/Karakorum giant.

Then again, I've not been there so am just going off of what I imagine the base of the moutain would look like!
OP Anonymous 26 May 2003
In reply to Chris Georg: maybe they just wanted a photo of the guy that did it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...