UKC

NEWS: Staden Quarry Access Update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 17 Mar 2011
Sign at Staden Quarry, 3 kbThere has been a new twist in the access situation to Staden Quarry (also know as Cow Dale) in the Peak.

Following the rejection of the application, permissive access for climbers was withdrawn and new signs were erected...

Alan James Reports

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=61028

Peakpdr 17 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Looks like a realy pissed of farmer who has lost a lot of money is getting his own back
 Wft 17 Mar 2011
In reply to pauldr: Agreed, I don't see what he gains from this action? It's not like the council pdf cites climbing as an issue. Hopefully this is a bitter knee-jerk and it will fade away. I could make him a cake?
In reply to GuyVG:

Well his action here is to undertake to give us access no matter what. Why he has asked that climbers keep away until the hearing is a bit of a mystery, but it is certainly better news than we had before Christmas and as such, probably worth adhering to.

Alan
 Plungeman 17 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Maybe he's busy moving the crag...
 toad 17 Mar 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC: my guess is that he's trying to ensure that the site does not have any potential for access rights to be established. A common tactic of protestors to any development proposal is to claim rights of way, common land, even village greens to fragment and devalue a site in the eyes of potential investor/developers. The only way you can definitively prevent this is to demonstrate that you can close access, and even then, there may be enough historical evidence for a retrospective claim.
 Lurkio 17 Mar 2011
In reply to Thoms6974:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Maybe he's busy moving the crag...

Or demolishing it??
 Jimbo C 17 Mar 2011
In reply to toad:

I'd agree with that. It's also possible that he thinks someone might want to use tactics to delay/ complicate the process (for example, by contaminating the land or recording the presence of a rare bat species), so it's in his interest to keep everybody away until this application is determined.
 Wft 17 Mar 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC: yes, put that way it does look more promising.
 Jonny2vests 17 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

I've updated the UKC database entry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...