UKC

NEWS: UKHillwalking.com Launched

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 28 Feb 2011
UKHillwaking is launched , 4 kbUKHillwalking.com has launched today. Building on the popularity of sister site UKClimbing.com, we will cater to everyone who gets their kicks on foot in the hills.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60668
interdit 28 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Good luck on this launch. Look forwards to the cycling one

Do you want technical issues in this thread or emailed in or something else?
In reply to interdit:

Bugs to me using this form - http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/email.html

Use the General Site Editor.

Alan
 alicia 28 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Whoo, go Nick!! Very nice.
Daithi O Murchu 01 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

crackin, can i ask the first question

what crampons straps do you recommend for the CMD, i hear that often crampons have fallen off on this walk
 PeterJuggler 01 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News: 8a will probably create a sister site to rank hill walkers.
In reply to Daithi O Murachu: Straps that don't come undone?
 Monk 01 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Is this site completely separate? Can I use my UKC login for it? And can I get at the hillwalking articles, news etc through UKC?
In reply to Monk:
> Is this site completely separate?

Yes, but there is some shared content, particularly on the forums.

> Can I use my UKC login for it?

The site should have seamless login across both sites. One or two people are experiencing problems with this.

If you are logged onto UKC, then you should just be able to click on this link - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/ and you shouldn't need to log onto UKH, your name should already be in the top right-hand corner.

If this isn't the case then force refresh the page before trying to log in since people who try and log in appear to be getting stuck in a loop of some sort. We are not sure exactly why this is happening but will look into it.

> And can I get at the hillwalking articles, news etc through UKC?

Relevant articles will be presented on both sites. We will be adding a single-click link to the header bar soon to enable fast-switching between the two sites.

Alan
 mal_meech 01 Mar 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
Overall I like the linked functionality, (as all I was looking for was the capacity to log the munros within my existing logbook) the fact that the logbook and diary are linked are ideal for this purpose. Only two real comments for reference:

Personally I don’t like the hill ticks as being “Outdoor climbing” in my diary, I’d prefer them to be under a separate heading, so I can tell at a glance when I’ve been up a mountain walking as opposed to climbing, as I don’t class them as the same thing…

The logbook entry page (addlog.html) won’t lookup hill names properly, as “Please choose a climb from the pulldown list, or use our quick form to Add the missing Climb” Comes up even if you pick from the drop down list.

Hope this helps.
 andrewm1000 01 Mar 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC: looks a good site. question, where is the link from UKC to the new site? can't see it on the UKC homepage but only in this thread. cheers
 andrewm1000 01 Mar 2011
In reply to andrewm1000: i mean where will the link be in a few days once the advert has been removed from the main news section on the UKC homepage?
In reply to andrewm1000:

We are going to add a single-click link to the header.

Cheers

Alan
 Monk 01 Mar 2011
> (In reply to Monk)

> The site should have seamless login across both sites. One or two people are experiencing problems with this.
>
> If you are logged onto UKC, then you should just be able to click on this link - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/ and you shouldn't need to log onto UKH, your name should already be in the top right-hand corner.
>
> If this isn't the case then force refresh the page before trying to log in since people who try and log in appear to be getting stuck in a loop of some sort. We are not sure exactly why this is happening but will look into it.

Cheers. The forced refresh and re-logging in seemed to work. I thought that it should be the same, but it wasn't working this morning.
 Sarah Stirling 01 Mar 2011
In reply to mal_meech:
>
> Personally I don’t like the hill ticks as being “Outdoor climbing” in my diary, I’d prefer them to be under a separate heading, so I can tell at a glance when I’ve been up a mountain walking as opposed to climbing, as I don’t class them as the same thing…

I agree, I'd prefer to be able to log climbs and walks separately, too. It is complicated though as there is a grey area of scrambles and easy climbs. Perhaps there could be a tick box so you could choose to log in UKH / UKC or both...
In reply to mal_meech: You really need to get your elbow/arm/shoulder fixed...
 masa-alpin 01 Mar 2011
The following Alan explained did not work for me,
I mean, I was not recognised as the registered user in the UKH page.
Refreshing as suggested did not work, either.
I tried with Safari (probably the latest version).
Masa

> The site should have seamless login across both sites. One or two people are experiencing problems with this.
>
> If you are logged onto UKC, then you should just be able to click on this link - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/ and you shouldn't need to log onto UKH, your name should already be in the top right-hand corner.
>
> If this isn't the case then force refresh the page before trying to log in since people who try and log in appear to be getting stuck in a loop of some sort. We are not sure exactly why this is happening but will look into it.
 mal_meech 01 Mar 2011
In reply to Fultonius:
That I do, at least I get to play with the big rubber bands now... And I get to start playing on grade 4's so only lost 12 grades in the last 10months!
 lithos 01 Mar 2011
In reply to Sarah Stirling-Assistant Editor:
> (In reply to mal_meech)
> [...]
>
> I agree, I'd prefer to be able to log climbs and walks separately, too. It is complicated though as there is a grey area of scrambles and easy climbs. Perhaps there could be a tick box so you could choose to log in UKH / UKC or both...

i doubt that is the way things are done behind the scenes - all going into database tables that
are shared. What'd be trivial* to do would be filter the results as per a preference setting in the
your profile. So stuff is all stored/logged in one/both place but shown in different manners in
different places

so (for example) in UKH you have tick boxes for scrambles, and routes &
on UKC tick boxes for scrambles and summits

*i know nothing about how nick has done this but i'd be surprised if it were not the case
 Sarah Stirling 02 Mar 2011
In reply to lithos: I know nothing about how Webmaster Nick does most things! But the results of whatever he does is that UKC/UKH stays easy to use, both on the admin pages behind the scenes and on the visible pages as the sites develop. Love the UKH logging pages - even better than I imagined they would be - looking forward to when they're finished so you can add photos / text to your routes, publish classic walks and runs etc...
 popebenedictus 02 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

When I go onto the UKH logbook page, I see all my climbing activity.
Is there a way of filtering the logbooks so we get Summits, scrambles etc on the UKH logbooks and climbs on the UKC logbooks?
In reply to popebenedictus:
> Is there a way of filtering the logbooks so we get Summits, scrambles etc on the UKH logbooks and climbs on the UKC logbooks?

Not at the moment, but this may well be something that we will add.

Alan
 George Ormerod 04 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Good stuff, but I can log in and see my UKC profile in UKH, but then I don't seem to be logged in when I go onto the logbooks and forums. It says 'unregistered user'. I did the forcing a refresh bit, but it still happens.

Ta.
In reply to George Ormerod:

This is a bug that we can't quite fathom. It seems to be intermittent and only appears for some people.

If you log out of both sites, then log into one and transfer, then it seems to get around it.

We are trying to work out what the problem is.

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...