Skydiving and Climbers (and Tim Emmet)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Juglan 06 Feb 2011
Someone on here was posting a while back how the Tim Emmet lectures made them really want to go skydiving. Can anyone tell me what it was that he said?

I know a lot of climbers, such as Steph Davis, Dean Potter, Leo Houlding are all base jumpers.

Can anyone recommend any AFF courses?
 Paddy Duncan 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna:
I don't know what he said, it didn't need saying to me..
I recommend Skydive Madrid (Freefalluniversity)
OP Juglan 06 Feb 2011
Do you still do it Paddy? My concerns are:

1. Does it eventually get boring?

2. How do you reconcile using the days of nice weather with going cimbing vs skydiving?

It makes sense for pros to do something on their days off while their arms recover, but for normal people, especially in England who only have their weekends, is it worth it?
 Fat Tim 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: I did the start of my AFF course in Seville, it was mint. Great crowd of people of all experiences from me – first time, to world champions out there for a laugh. It seems the cheapest way to do it. And it seems to become more than jumping out of the plane, as you become better at it you can have a go at different things like tracking dives and wing suits and stuff like that.

If I am honest I was in spain for the climbing in El Chorro, and went to the sky diving school for new years eve, got drunk and agreed to a jump, and only did the first jump of the aff course.
They thought climbing was crazy…
 Paddy Duncan 06 Feb 2011
I haven't done either climbing or jumping for a while due to a dodgy neck, but will as soon as possible with skydiving first choice.
I cannot imagine it ever getting boring, and I've not heard anyone else say so. The insanity of jumping out of a plane is enough to keep me keen, and as Tim says, there are always new things to learn and do. I have seen someone give up, but that was before getting out of the plane the first time.
And, particularly in England, there are plenty of weekends when it is too windy (>23mph) or cloudy, so if any doubt re the weather, climbing it is.
And yes Tim, all of my instructors too, most of whom base jump, said climbing is too dangerous and crazy.
OP Juglan 06 Feb 2011
They must be stupid to have said that. I know skydiving is as safe as houses, but to base jump and call climbing dangeros is rubbish !
 3 Names 06 Feb 2011

Personaly I never enjoyed skydiving as much as climbing.
 Phase 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Dr Sidehead: climbing gives me more of a rush. SKydiving is so much fun though. Base... the risk wasn't worth the reward (1jump)

J
OP Juglan 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Dr Sidehead: Sidehead, why?
 3 Names 06 Feb 2011

I suppose skydiving was something I did mainly because I had the chance through work (ex-para).
Climbing has always been my passion though.
John1923 06 Feb 2011

I got bored after 2 jumps of the AFF course. It's like riding a motorbike without a helmet. Base jumping looks fun but the 10% lifetime risk of dying put me off.
OP Juglan 07 Feb 2011
Those wingsuit flying things you see do look like one of the most incredible things a human being can experience.

Its just a shame there is so muc faff and expense to skydiving. Its not like you can just rock up to the crag and have a pure, simple day out.
 Barneyscreek 07 Feb 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: How much would you say it costs to start this as I've always wanted to have a go
OP Juglan 07 Feb 2011
1500 quid for AFF

then between 20-40 quid each jump when you have your licence

potentially thousands on kit

bidget to start base juping taking this into consideration is about10k, as you do about 200 jumps
Ian Black 07 Feb 2011
In reply to Dr Sidehead:
> (In reply to Lupine Lacuna)
>
> I suppose skydiving was something I did mainly because I had the chance through work

Same here. Mind you much better tailgating out of a Herc than a violent port or starboard static line exit. Much prefer climbing though

JamButty 07 Feb 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: I did both and loved both. But stopped skydiving as it was much more awkward to organise time to do it, and a lot of days are wasted faffing around. Also its bloody expensive. Climbing generally cheaper and if your daft enough in any weather.
Still miss that 120mph rush though!
OP Juglan 07 Feb 2011
Has anyone here who has skydived ridden a motorbike?
 Davvers 07 Feb 2011

I recommend Empuria Brava in Spain
 Davvers 07 Feb 2011

I climb, skydive amnd ride a motorbike, what's your question ?
 Davvers 07 Feb 2011

1. can do, but it depends how you progress it. flat solo flying got boring, now I'm doing relative work and it's a hoot. really it comes down to what floats your boat! IF you don't try it you'll never know!

2. some skydivers do very little in the uk then do a week away. but yes they do both work better in good weather. (money often helps you make the decision though!)
 Paddy Duncan 07 Feb 2011
Yes, but not at the same time.
Miller80 07 Feb 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: Look at skydive Hibaldstow. Im learning there at the moment and its great, each lift is to 15000ft.
 Evilllamas 07 Feb 2011
I must go skydiving sometime!
Always wanted to do it, though when the time to jump comes, chances are they will have to drag me out the plane!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...