UKC

NEWS: FRI NIGHT VID: -46°C = Winter on Gasherbrum II

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 28 Jan 2011
Gasherbrum II Winter Expedition, 3 kbThe team currently on Gasherbrum II report back despite temperatures of -46°C.

The expedition is going according to plan and the team are readying for a summit push.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60049

Will Hunt 28 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:
What are the green flags on canes for?
 higher.alpine 28 Jan 2011
In reply to Will Hunt: To mark the route, gear caches, and where old fixed ropes are found.
 Michael Ryan 28 Jan 2011
In reply to Will Hunt:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> What are the green flags on canes for?

They are arrows Will. You attach the rope to one of them then fire it from your bow. The arrow goes over the mountain with the rope. Then you can pull yourself up the rope to the top of the mountain. I saw it in a film with Styllvester Stalone.

Or they are snow trail markers. You force a way through the snow and plonk a snow trail marker every 50m or so.

Then you go back to your tent at the bottom of the mountain. The next day you follow the green markers to the top of the mountain - greenpoint style.

In reply to UKC News:

No wonder they're only covering 250 yards per day, they should invest in some new light weight axes!

SDB
 Will Hunt 29 Jan 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> (In reply to Will Hunt)
> [...]
>
> They are arrows Will. You attach the rope to one of them then fire it from your bow. The arrow goes over the mountain with the rope. Then you can pull yourself up the rope to the top of the mountain. I saw it in a film with Styllvester Stalone.

Jolly good. Thank Christ they're not rap bolting.
ice.solo 29 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

can see why don bowie pulled out - those temps would have ruined his tan!

go hard guys.
ice.solo 29 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

jeez thats some cool footage from the chopper headin up towards the baltoro past trango and k2.
Rob Webb 29 Jan 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:

They are arrows Will. You attach the rope to one of them then fire it from your bow. The arrow goes over the mountain with the rope. Then you can pull yourself up the rope to the top of the mountain. I saw it in a film with Styllvester Stalone.

...but, why so many arrows?? They must be secretly planning to ascend numerous peaks in the area. If that's the case, the damning evidence is there, in the photo, and they'll never get permits again...

ablackett 29 Jan 2011
In reply to Rob Webb: If they are taking that much kit, I can't understand why they didn't stick in a pair of snow shoes to make life easier? It looks like a right plod at the end of the second video.

Am I missing something or would snow shoes make life a lot easier on lots of winter days out in the mountains?
 stevebarratt 29 Jan 2011
In reply to ablackett:

He might be plodding a bit cos of crevasses
 Patrick Roman 29 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant footage from the dispatch video. This expedition has a real pioneering feel to it, a world apart from the oxygenated summer circus that the more popular 8,000m peaks attract. Frostbite-free fingers and toes crossed for the guys!
 thomaspassmore 31 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News: Am I right in saying this would be the first winter ascent in the Karakoram?
Hardcore!
 Bunchuk 02 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Breaking News! The team reached the summit at 11:28 am PKT (Pakistan Standard Time) today.
 Patrick Roman 02 Feb 2011
In reply to Bunchuk:

Fantastic news, a genuine groundbreaking effort! Great to see Simone Moro continuing to challenge Polish dominance of 8,000m winter climbing. Congratulations to Cory Richards too as the first American to summit an 8,000m peak in winter. Safe return.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...