UKC

NEWS: Check Your Knot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 28 Dec 2010
Mangui off 'Coses de Nenes' 6c+  Os de Balaguer. Catalunya., 3 kbCheck Your Knot

'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime.'

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=58088
 Hillseeker 28 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Yep, done this myself at an indoor wall. Only suffered a dislocated shoulder, but could have been worse if I was higher up. It happened at the end of the session when I was tired and my partner too - moral of the story is to be particularly vigilant when you are tired!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Dec 2010
In reply to alw650:

Rules:

1) don't distract a climber IN ANY WAY when he is tying his knot.

2) Buddy System Check (taught to me by one Mick Ryan) - check each-others knot/belay plate set-up last thing before leaving the ground.

Stay safe,

Chris
 Puli 28 Dec 2010
In reply to Chris Craggs: It is good to show the knot to your belay partner before start climbing. Once you get use to do so, it will be like a normal protocol like putting your climbing shoes on.
I forgot to do the knot in “The castle” but fortunately the rope was so old that got strangled by the arnes and did not slip off.
 smile 28 Dec 2010
Done the same, I only do it if im talking to some one at the same time as trying to tie the knot,
I was half way up an E1 when i clipped in and noticed a dangling bit that should not be dangling... Easy done.
 andybirtwistle 29 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News: Would the one you remember be Ian Horrocks at Malham Cove Mick? I was up on the right wing when that happened and will never forget the scream.Always checked my knot since He was lucky one roll and he would have gone further 30 feet to the river bed.Look to each step is well to remember!
In reply to UKC News: hardly a news item. surely this is more of an article than anything else?
 petestack 29 Dec 2010
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Think it's 'news' because the linked article states that 'In the last few months we have heard of five climbers in the UK who have forgotten to tie their knot properly in to their harness.' So also think (with at least one of these being *very* recent) that 'news' is used appropriately here.
 birdie num num 29 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Check your knot what?
In reply to UKC News:

I know of three experienced climbers who have failed to tie in and check their knots.
1) At Malham, climber clipped into lower off and decked it breaking both legs badly.
2) Climber had only tied into 1 of his double ropes, he took a very long fall with no injury.
3} Climber on Dangler on Stanage did not tie into either double rope, ropes fell from harness half way up, he decided to carry on and made it to the top solo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...