UKC

NEWS: 999 Text Service to Assist Hill Walkers and Climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Nov 2010
Mobile Phone, 3 kb

The Mountaineering Council of Scotland (MCofS) is urging everyone who walks climbs and skis in the Scottish mountains to register with the 999 emergency text service.

This service has been set up to allow people to text 999 when voice calls cannot be made, but where there is sufficient signal to send a text.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=59071

Monk 30 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:

That sounds like a pretty good idea. Can I just check - will this work in England and Wales too? The link implies it is UK-wide, but the article only mentions Scotland.
Frogger 30 Nov 2010
In reply to Monk:

It appears that the EmergencySMS service is available across the UK, for all emergencies, not just mountain rescue.

But someone please correct me if I've got that wrong.

Simon Caldwell 30 Nov 2010
In reply to Frogger:

You're right. I registered last week.

Their website suggests it originated as a way for the deaf/hard of hearing to contact the emergency services.
 michael83 30 Nov 2010

With most modern phones being GPS capable it would be good if there was a simple way to put your easting and northing in to the text message too. I have a nokia phone and while i can easily view my latitude and longitute it would be a task flicking back and forth to put that in a text. Even then it's a different navigation system to eastings and northings.

This would actually be a useful, life saving app for the modern smart phone.
 Dr.S at work 30 Nov 2010
In reply to michael83:
several iphone apps do that, including giving a uk grid ref.
 rnotman67 30 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News: This is a brilliant idea!!

has anyone had to use this servcie yet? I would be keen to here about its use in an emergency. As I think it would be good to implement it within the wind industry which I work in. Wind farms are often out in the same remote locations as we as walkers/climbers find ourselves.
So will be helpful in an emergency situation.

Ryan
 SAF 30 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News: Sounds like a great idea, having listened to the recording of the first call to the ambulance service following a climber falling off Dinas Cromlech, it will definately be a great help. But i think it is important that this service is kept for very exceptional circumstances as the emergency services rely on a sequence of questions (sometimes flawed) to be able to triage the job, despatch appropriate services and priorites services during periods of high demands.
In reply to Sarah Finney:

Oh yeah, I'd always try and call first and find a proper signal but as an emergency measure its great. I think of how many times I've tried to call someone I'm meeting or to tell people I'm ate of the hill and had to spend 20 minutes finding a signal where I could be heard/hear properly.... 20 mins is a bloody long time in an emergency
 michael83 30 Nov 2010
In reply to Dr.S at work:
I'll have a search around. thanks.
 James Oswald 30 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Awesome idea.
I've always thought it would be a great idea if you were in a hostage situation
James
sm1thson 30 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News: I dont understand why you they have made it so you have to register? I guess so they can monitor use and abuse (in the FAQs it says if you abuse it you get kicked off the system (which is a trial)).

Ive said for years this is needed, sending mms' too theres times it would be handy to send a picture directly to the police (not so much in a climbing sense, but thinking more of crimes).

anyway its a step in the right direction, so good stuff.
 Caralynh 30 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant, and duly registered. Thanks for the heads up.
 Padraig 30 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Another shout for why you have to register??
Sods/murphys law says those that don't register will need it most??
In reply to UKC News: Registered the other week, hopefully i'll never have to use it, and speaking to a human will always be my first port of call, but as we all know a txt can go through even when a 999 call can't get enough signal to jump networks. I wonder if the 999 text system will jump to the network which has the strongest signal too? Anyone know?
 IanC 01 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Just to let people know it's dead easy to register and takes no time at all just 2 texts.
 Simon Caldwell 01 Dec 2010
In reply to Padraig:
Those who don't register presumably don't know about it so wouldn't try to use it anyway!
 Denzil 01 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News: Do be aware that the reply I got from the people who run this service, when asked about MR type incidents stated:

"Firstly, as it uses SMS, delivery of messages cannot be guaranteed and secondly, it is necessary to send a number of messages before help is sent. The last point is very important because people imagine that if one SMS message gets through, help will be on its way. This is not true as the emergency services need to ask questions about your location and the nature of the problem. If the emergency service does not receive a response to their questions, no action will be taken. This exchange of SMS messages means that making a voice 999 call will always be quicker.

If you are situated in the mountains where the mobile coverage is patchy and there is a likelihood that only one message will get through, I would always suggest sending an SMS message to someone who knows you, your route, and can contact 999 on your behalf."
Denzil OMRT
 Simon Caldwell 01 Dec 2010
In reply to Denzil:

A good point, and one that should perhaps be forwarded to the MCoS who have been publicising the service (the BMC too?).

The 999 service is still a good "belt and braces" idea though, and there's no risk that the 999 recipient will be in the pub on their 5th pint when the message arrives!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...