Loch Monar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chrissy 24 Nov 2010
Hi
I am planning a winter trip in a few months to the area and wonder if anyone can let me know if there are any nice gullies or buttresses grade I or II worth having a go at on Lurg Mhor, Sgurr A Chaorachain, Maoile Lunndaidh or Bidean Eoin Deirg. Plan to stay at bearmais bothy.
Is this area covered in any of the guide books? Any info much appreciated. Looks a great area. I'm hoping tucked away there is some great climbing.
Removed User 24 Nov 2010
In reply to chrissy:

It's a great area but not a huge amount of winter climbing except on Creag a Chaorain and Sgurr Choinnich. You'll find details in the appropriate SMC guide.

There's no firewood around Bearnais by the way so you might want to carry a bag of coal in.
 oscaig 25 Nov 2010
In reply to chrissy: It's a LONG way in under snow and carrying winter climbing and bothying kit from any direction. Given the range of great hills round the head of Loch Monar I can't but think (don't have a guide to hand) there will be lots of stuff to have a go at but I think you'll be in exploratory mode. If you're tabbing in from Glen Carron then the long route up and over the hill to the Bothy passes the main, north facing, climbing areas of Sgurr na Feartaig and there are a few grade IIs and IIIs there when it comes into nick (good icefalls too at higher grades)- could be a better option from the bothy than rough tramp to Lurg Mhor, 'cheesecake' etc if there's a depth of snow on the ground.
Geoffrey Michaels 25 Nov 2010
In reply to oscaig:

Hello Oscar,

If you cycle to Beinn Dronaig both it only takes about an hour and a half to get up Bidean a' Choire Sheasgaich or Lorg Mhòr.

lpretro1 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Geoffrey Michaels:
It is a great bothy to stay in too. Best to carry fuel in for woodburning stove.
 Michael Gordon 25 Nov 2010
In reply to chrissy:

Have a look at Northern Highlands South. There is stuff to go at around there.
OP chrissy 25 Nov 2010
In reply to lpretro1:
Thanks guys. That's really useful.
Chrissy
 Phil1919 25 Nov 2010
In reply to chrissy: If you cycle into Bendronag theres quite a climb you have to go up and over which would involve a fair bit of pushing given a heavy sack. Quite a good way in but its not flat. You loose quite a bit of the height gained.
 andrew ogilvie 26 Nov 2010
In reply to chrissy: Its a mighty long way for a shortcut if you plan to approach Maoile Lunndaidh fom Bearnais: its a nice and remote hill but I don't recall any striking climbing features.
There's an attractive looking big gully on sgurr na ceannaichean I think its in the guide mentioned earlier in the thread ( or the previous edition covering same area)
ice.solo 26 Nov 2010
In reply to chrissy:

now thats a blast from my past. spent xmas in the bothy there 11 years ago.
terrible weather, soaked thru getting in, great bothy agreed.

couldnt say if i spotted any climbing as the clouds were so low and we spent much of the time inside around the fire with just the odd foray.

sorry, that was no help at all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...