UKC

NEWS: New Path - Pen Y Gwryd to Pen Y Pass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 20 Oct 2010
The busy section of the A4086 heading down to the Pen y Gwryd., 3 kbA new footpath is to be built between the Pen y Gwryd Hotel and the extremely busy Pen y Pass carpark at the head of the Llanberis Pass.

The car park at Pen y Pass provides the closest parking to the summit of Snowdon and is often completely full. The alternative parking close to the Pen y Gwryd hotel is also extremely popular, and many hill-goers walk along the road from Pen y Pass to get back to their cars.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=58399

Rory Shaw 20 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News: yehaaaaa!!!! wahoooo!!!!! great news. Well done guys. Was starting to very annoyed with walkers on the road - especially 3 large gents who were walking 3 abreast round the willans corner, just missed them so gave them the horn and they responded with the finger.... glad those incidents will soon be over!!!

Thanks to all who put in the time and effort to make this happen

Rory
 Darron 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Rory Shaw:

That's a troll right?
 johnnorman 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Darron:
> (In reply to Rory Shaw)
>
> That's a troll right?

I`d put money on it that its not

Banned User 77 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Darron:
> (In reply to Rory Shaw)
>
> That's a troll right?

This has been a necessity for a long time. Its great news. well done to those involved. It is only a matter of time before someone is killed on that road, this is a great start, but a pass long path is needed yet.

sutty 21 Oct 2010
In reply to IainRUK:

>Work on the path is due to start later this month and should be finished in spring 2011.

Really, maybe a year out by my thinking. What do you think?
 Trangia 21 Oct 2010
In reply to Rory Shaw:
> (In reply to UKC News) yehaaaaa!!!! wahoooo!!!!! great news. Well done guys. Was starting to very annoyed with walkers on the road - especially 3 large gents who were walking 3 abreast round the willans corner, just missed them so gave them the horn and they responded with the finger.... glad those incidents will soon be over!!!
>
>

Couldn't agree more. Those people walking on this road, or any road for that matter, are a menace to us motorists. Even worse than f***ing cyclists taking up half the road. They don't pay road tax and have no business being there. It's difficult enough to drive looking at the scenery let alone looking out for w*nkers like that.
 TraceyR 21 Oct 2010
In reply to Trangia: Perhaps the speed limit should be reduced too so that there is then less of a chance in hitting someone who is just looking at the scenery instead of looking where they are driving.
 Trangia 21 Oct 2010
In reply to TraceyR:
> (In reply to Trangia) Perhaps the speed limit should be reduced too so that there is then less of a chance in hitting someone who is just looking at the scenery instead of looking where they are driving.
>

That would be a retrograde step. These are some of the best bends in N Wales and again it's the pedestrians who get in the way of your alignment when trying to take the bends at anything over 70mph

TraceyR 21 Oct 2010
In reply to Trangia: Are you a biker?
 Banned User 77 21 Oct 2010
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> >Work on the path is due to start later this month and should be finished in spring 2011.
>
> Really, maybe a year out by my thinking. What do you think?

It should have gone in before the car park up grade, but with all the different bodies involved I'm not surprised things took a while, just great its being done. We always pick up hitchers in the pass because we know one day someone will get clipped. Without torches at dusk, you can almost have passed the walkers stood against the wall, before you see them.
 Mike Peacock 21 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News: Great news. The path is certainly needed. I've seen a few close calls between motorists and walkers (and one between a bus and some walkers!).
 Tobias at Home 21 Oct 2010
In reply to IainRUK: am not bothered either way but do you know if it is going to be a sealed path or gravel or what?
 TraceyR 21 Oct 2010
In reply to Tobias at Home:
> (In reply to IainRUK) am not bothered either way but do you know if it is going to be a sealed path or gravel or what?

Hopefully tarmac!
 bryn 21 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News:

From what I understand the improved path will upgrade the existing one - there is a trail from Pen y Gwryd to Pen y Pass.

It is below the road and was the original trail over the Pass before the road went in - it even still remains down the Pass if you look carefully.

Take a look on the pic on this article and you can see the trail cutting across the hill side.

Bryn
 Simon Caldwell 21 Oct 2010
In reply to bryn:

That goes south doesn't it, at the hairpin in the road?
 Trangia 21 Oct 2010
In reply to TraceyR:
> (In reply to Trangia) Are you a biker?
>

Good lord no! Just an ardent 4x4 fan who likes to race on public roads where there is less likelyhood of getting mud on your vehicle. Off roading has been spoilt by crowds of walkers using ways are rightfully the preserve of 4x4s, now these same walkers are invading metalled roads like this, which is spoiling all our fun.

bryn 21 Oct 2010
In reply to Toreador:

It contours under from the big bend in the road and leads up to Pen y Pass - most folks who use it cut across to the Miners Path though, or head to PyP if going for the PYG track.

Click on the image on the post and take a look - it is quite visible.

Bryn
In reply to bryn:

Then doesn't it just need dedicating as a right of way and giving a signpost at each end? Why the need to construct anything?

I've used the top end of the path and it doesn't need any improvement.
 bryn 21 Oct 2010
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to bryn)
>
> Then doesn't it just need dedicating as a right of way and giving a signpost at each end? Why the need to construct anything?
>
> I've used the top end of the path and it doesn't need any improvement.

Think they have a big pile of tarmac that needs using up!!!!
 Mike Peacock 21 Oct 2010
In reply to Toreador: The top of the path is the Afon Trawsnant path that heads into Nant Gwynant. The rest of the route to the PyG still needs something sorting.
 Banned User 77 21 Oct 2010
In reply to Mike Peacock: I thought bryn was describing another one. That loses quite a lot of height between PyG and PyP, its also in quite a bad state last time I ran up it which must have been late 2008...
 TraceyR 21 Oct 2010
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to TraceyR)
> [...]
>
> Good lord no! Just an ardent 4x4 fan who likes to race on public roads where there is less likelyhood of getting mud on your vehicle. Off roading has been spoilt by crowds of walkers using ways are rightfully the preserve of 4x4s, now these same walkers are invading metalled roads like this, which is spoiling all our fun.

FYI I am pro 4x4 - often go across Salisbury Plain with my brother in his - but not when the red flags are flying of course!

Trangia 21 Oct 2010
In reply to TraceyR:

Joking aside I have dabbled in 4x4 ing! I did have a Land Rover which I used exclusively for playing in the mud on a dedicated 4x4 site near us. But not too keen on seeing them on the hills other than at dedicated sites
 bryn 21 Oct 2010
In reply to Mike Peacock:
> (In reply to Toreador) The top of the path is the Afon Trawsnant path that heads into Nant Gwynant. The rest of the route to the PyG still needs something sorting.

Correct - the path to Nant Gwynant starts from there, but also the lesser know trail from there to Pen y Gwryd still exists, but is not as visible due to lack of users. It stays just below the road most of the way round to PyG.

Bryn
 Mike Peacock 21 Oct 2010
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Mike Peacock) I thought bryn was describing another one. That loses quite a lot of height between PyG and PyP, its also in quite a bad state last time I ran up it which must have been late 2008...

That was my point. Toreador was getting confused about the need to do anything.
In reply to Mike Peacock:

It was in good condition when I last ran it in early 2007 so must have got worse since then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...