Kayland Apex Trail Or Scarpa Charmoz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 euanryan 19 Oct 2010
These are the two options I've narrowed it down to, regarding winter boots.

I want them for winter this year, and maybe a bit of alpine next summer.

I've tried on the Kaylands and they are super nice! Really comfy and sturdy. However just as my mind was made up, it was suggested that i check out the charmoz.
I've not tried them on, but before i go treking a far to find some in my size, are they worth a look?

Cheers!

Euan
 ste_d 20 Oct 2010
In reply to euanryan: you do mean the apex trek, no?
OP euanryan 20 Oct 2010
In reply to euanryan: Yes, sorry! Apex Trek!
 ste_d 20 Oct 2010
In reply to euanryan:

I've not tried the Charmoz, though I hear many good things.

I do have the trek though and as you say, they are very comfy and probably quite well suited to easy ice snow and mixed. If you are looking to go on on harder sustained stuff you might feel happier with something stiffer.

Perhaps 2 pairs of boots, one for easy and mixed and another for ice is the expensive answer?
 seanjc 20 Oct 2010
Definitely worth a try. I've used mine for everything over the last couple of years, they're great on long mountain rock routes, comfy to walk in and will happily climb IV winter (probably more but I have no experience). They can get a bit chilly on very long belays but that's more of a personal thing, my hands and feet are quite sensitive to the cold!
OP euanryan 20 Oct 2010
In reply to seanjc: Is that the charmoz?

and to ste_d, I'm 8 stone and a size 8, I can hardly flex the kaylands at all, so I'm not too worried about flex. I'm afraid i can't afford two pairs of boots so it's either or I'm afraid!

Cheers for the help guys!
 Hay 20 Oct 2010
In reply to euanryan:

The rocker on Apex Trek is very pronounced. This makes fitting crampons quite tricky. I think the Charmoz and the new Asolo Aplinist are both better bets. I actually think the Berghaus Kibo is a better boot than the Apex.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...