Freshers Meets - post up details of your club trips here!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Dyer, BMC 23 Sep 2010
As the start of the new academic year is upon us, uni climbing clubs will soon be heading out onto the crags for freshers meets. I thought I’d start a thread for clubs to post up their plans which will hopefully serve a double purpose of helping the clubs choose a venue where they won’t queuing for routes with several other clubs, whilst also letting other climbers know that groups will be using certain crags so they can adjust their plans accordingly (if they want to). Basic information such as locations, dates and rough numbers attending would be a good starting point and having all the information on one thread will make it easier for everyone to use.

Here’s a link to the BMC’s ‘Green Guide to the Uplands’ which gives advice on group use of crags in sections 11, 12 and 13 (pages 20-24): http://www.thebmc.co.uk/greenguides

I've also emailed all the Uni Club contact email addresses we have in the BMC database in case they don't check UKC. Post away and happy climbing!

Rob Dyer
(BMC Access & Conservation Officer)
 Peter Holder 23 Sep 2010
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC:

Leeds Metropolitan University freshers trip.

Date: 22-24 Octiber
Venue: Capel Curig, Bets-y-coed.
Crags: Mainly using Little Tryfan for training but will be climbing on other local crags.
Numbers: We're expecting about 25-35 members to attend.

Pete Holder
LMUCC secretary
 LastBoyScout 23 Sep 2010
In reply to james.peter:

So much for the future of the country if you can't even spell "October" - or "Betws-y-Coed"!
 Will Hunt 23 Sep 2010

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=426600&v=1#x6040982

I hesitated before posting the dates of our Fresher's Meets. Having been in our club for three years now I very rarely see behaviour on our first meets that some people seem to expect. Top roping and overcrowding of one part of the crag never really happens as we select venues that can handle the extra numbers and teach our novices by having one leader to 2 freshers max which has the same impact as a group of three climbing together at a crag which isn't uncommon.

I think doing the normal and "warning" people of our presence sends out the wrong message about our activities. It would be nice if some people did come to the same crag as us and see how we operate. It might dispel some myths.

Will (Leeds University Union Mountaineering Club)
 mike_tibbits 23 Sep 2010

Exeter University Climbing Club

We are planning on climbing on Haytor, Dartmoor on Wednesday 29th September. We are planning on using 3 or 4 routes throughout the day.

If there are any problems on the day, please feel free to ask for myself or Harry Whitby as we are organising the meet and will be able to resolve any issue you might have.

Kind regards,

Mike Tibbits
 Martin Davies 23 Sep 2010
In reply to Will Hunt: I have to say I agree with Will. So a group of new climber's is heading to a crag, hang on, we better warn everyone else because our behaviour is going to be outrageous and dangerous and naturally no sane climber will want to be on the same crag as us...

Many university climbers are experienced and safe, and know how to handle groups of newbies. This will be my 3rd fresher's trip and on the previous 2 we have had no complaints. We pick suitable venues and don't take anyone and everyone, we lay down minimum standards before freshers can come on the trip.

It would be nice if university clubs were encouraged to get freshers climbing outdoors rather than having to issue warnings to others to avoid certain crags.

Martin (King's College London Mountaineering Club)
 Robin Head 23 Sep 2010

Oh come on guys! This is ridiculous, all this thread is supposed to do is to remind people that certain crags will be a little bit busier than normal.

Even if you have chosen the right crag, etc. etc. a group of 20+ people will have an impact on the calm, quiet and peacefulness of a crag that is required to onsight E7s and we all don't want to waste the time those hardcore climbers have spent on training for this special day just to mess it up because a silly fresher shouted when he topped out a diff, do we?

furthermore it reminds people than you can go and talk to people if you do have a problem, or would like to climb a route the group is "hogging". As above posters have mentioned.
 Simon Caldwell 23 Sep 2010
In reply to Martin Davies (KCLMC):
> we better warn everyone else because our behaviour is going to be outrageous and dangerous

it's nothing to do with that, it's about advertising the fact that the crag will be a few tens of people busier than usual. Depending on the size of the crag, people can then choose to go elsewhere, or decide there's more than enough routes for everyone and go anyway.
 jacobjlloyd 23 Sep 2010
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC: Southampton University Mountaineering Club Fresher's Meets:
This year we will have two fresher's meets, on the 8-10 and 15-17 of October. On both occasions we will go to Stanage Edge, and try to spread out a bit. Each weekend we expect to take around 45 people.
Last year the club had some bad press on UKC (which turned out I think to be a case of misidentification) and we are very keen to make sure we live up to the very high standards of the climbing community for this type of event.
Freshers meets are inevitable. We are taking loads of people to one crag. We are splitting up the group over two weekends to minimise the numbers, but taking fewer people would not make sense financially. We will make a concerted effort to leave the crag cleaner than we find it, in accordance with the ethics of our club, and will largely climb as groups of three, with one person teaching two freshers. If you turn up at the crag, please do come chat with us! If there is a route you want to do and it is busy, we will try to make it free as soon as possible, but obviously there is a higher chance than usual of having to wait.
As usual with freshers meets, it may well be that the best way to ensure the best day of climbing is to try and avoid the group. It is a sad and unavoidable truth that these events put a lot of strain on the crag capacity. Remember this is a once-a-year event, and that although there are downsides, I personally believe that fresher's meets are a good thing for climbing overall. I will go even further and say that if you are having a problem with either of these meets, I would love to talk with you and see how we can solve any issues you may be having! Please do ring me on 07724484642 if you have any issues on the day. I will be at the crag during both weekends doing my best to encourage the ethics that make climbing in the UK such a positive experience. If you have a problem, let's try to sort it immediately so you can get on with your climbing!
 Robin Head 23 Sep 2010

A little add on to jacobjlloyd we (the committee) of SUMC will be wearing bright and shiney lime coloured T-shirts so it should be easy to spot us :]
We welcome and comments etc. :]
Robin
 JoshOvki 24 Sep 2010

Glamorgan University Climbing Club

Twynau Gwynion Quarries - 9th October
Twynau Gwynion Quarries/Morlais Quarries - 10th October

Both popular group venues, without any classic climbs.
 melonmike 24 Sep 2010

Manchester University Mountaineering Club

Trip 1: Froggatt Edge- Sunday 26th September-49 people
Trip 2: The Roaches- Sunday 3rd October- 49 people

-No top ropes will be set up at all
-We will split into 10 groups of about 5, typically 2 leaders and 3 freshers
Removed User 24 Sep 2010

Hud dersfield Uni

Sat 2nd - Wharncliffe
Sun 3rd - Dovestones Edge
 antoniusblock 24 Sep 2010
In reply to Removed User:

Sheffield University High Peak Club will be at Lawrencefield on Sunday the 26th of September. There will be some toproping in the roadside bay, and some leading at the main crag.

These details have already been posted on UKC Rock Destination forums.
 The Pylon King 24 Sep 2010

We need a thread advertising quarry raves.
 gingerwolf 24 Sep 2010
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC: Keele University Fresher's Trip
Capel Curig
23rd-24th October
Mainly around Tryfyn, expecting two teams of around 15 each, one scrambling and the other climbing
Climbing will be myself, or Iain, if any problems, ask us, I have no problems at all
Scambling should have less impact on local climbers, but that team will be led by either Sam or Ben most probably, and are always happy for questions/issues

To Rob - good idea for this post, as, like you said, it lets people know when certain areas will be busy!
 Jools_oneill 24 Sep 2010

Loughborough Students Mountaineering Club:

~30 members both days

Saturday 16th Oct - Stanage (Crow Chin Area)
Sunday 17th October - Birchin

Though as lots of other clubs seem to be doing we like to keep the top roping to a minimum, and get new climbers seconding and having a more typical day on the crag.

Nice thread, know I would appreciate the info!

Cheers

Jools
 Franco Cookson 24 Sep 2010
In reply to Robin Head:
> (In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC)
>
> Oh come on guys! This is ridiculous, all this thread is supposed to do is to remind people that certain crags will be a little bit busier than normal.
>
> Even if you have chosen the right crag, etc. etc. a group of 20+ people will have an impact on the calm, quiet and peacefulness of a crag that is required to onsight E7s and we all don't want to waste the time those hardcore climbers have spent on training for this special day just to mess it up because a silly fresher shouted when he topped out a diff, do we?
>

I think the possibility of a Diff climber being put off by the shouts of a uni climber topping out on an E7 is far more likely.

jonnie3430 24 Sep 2010

Glasgow Uni, Glencoe, 24- 26 September. Around 90 walkers and climbers spread from Etive Slabs and Buachaille Etive Mor to Glen Nevis and the Ben.
 Offwidth 24 Sep 2010
In reply to Franco C:

Good point We had the odd E7 headpoint in our club on trips (albeit not on freshers meets!)
In reply to Offwidth:

A fresher did an E6 ground up last year and lots of people were getting on hardish things. Uni clubs aren't all about imbecilic top roping, there's a mix, where good climbers teach those with less experience. That's why these meets should be encouraged, it's far better for people to gain experience from friends than to have a climbing education based purely around indoor walls.
Removed User 24 Sep 2010
In reply to Franco C: Amen
 smithaldo 24 Sep 2010
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC: Franco speaketh the truth. People forget they started at some point and were not self appointed experts then.
 Ewan Russell 24 Sep 2010
I think this is a great idea, as personally I believe I would be miffed to turn up to a crag with 20 or 30 more than I expected particuarly at a crag like kyloe out or rylstone, whether they were university students or members of a non university club. A searchable database would be brilliant concept and should allow people to avoid the fresher scum!
Ewan(leeds uni climbing club)
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC: Bangor Uni Mountaineering Society
BUMS will be at Holyhead Mountain on the 25th and the 26th of september (saturday and sunday) there will be around 100 people there but all will be briefed on crag etiquette and spread around the crag with more experianced climbers seconding and only the complete beginners shown the basics on toprope.

I very much doubt anyone will be on yellow wall but there will probably be climbers on quartz wall...however if the weather is rubbish we will be going to the Indy wall.
 frecro 24 Sep 2010

Aberdeen University Mountaineering Club (Lairig)

Date: 26th September
Venue: Glen Clova

Around 50 students split between Climbing (experienced freshers only, so no top ropes) and walking (Mayer and Driesh)

Beginners sessions on the sea cliffs on wednesday the 29th sep, and 6th oct. Most likely Black Rock Gulch, then Alan's Cliff depending on tide.
See our website for updates if you are worried...

www.abdn.ac.uk/student_societies/lairig

Freddie
 JimR 24 Sep 2010
In reply to Franco C:
> (In reply to Offwidth)
>
> A fresher did an E6 ground up last year and lots of people were getting on hardish things. Uni clubs aren't all about imbecilic top roping, there's a mix, where good climbers teach those with less experience. That's why these meets should be encouraged, it's far better for people to gain experience from friends than to have a climbing education based purely around indoor walls.

Hang on a sec, Franco, whats so imbecilic about toproping?
a) surely headpointing is just doing something until you've toproped it to get all the moves nailed
b) surely you're not suggesting that freshers get an intro to something by leading.

I'm hoping that the young Franco C with his refreshing outlook on life has'nt turned into an elitist plonker .. please reassure me!
 Simon Caldwell 24 Sep 2010
In reply to JimR:
> b) surely you're not suggesting that freshers get an intro to something by leading.

Obviously not. They can second a few routes first.
 Dave Warburton 24 Sep 2010
In reply to JimR: reassure yourself, re-read what he wrote.
In reply to JimR:

I take it that you must be at university, with your evident use of hallucinogens?
 bullock15 26 Sep 2010

University of Leicester

Sunday 10th October

We will be taking a group of ~50 freshers to Lawrencefield.
Mainly we will be toproping at Roadside Bay with the beginners.

We may also take some groups to 'Hell's Bells' buttress at Millstone.

If you see us about that day feel free to speak to us!

Thanks

Tom

gribble 26 Sep 2010

Good idea for a thread, and good weather this weekend for all the clubs! Hope it all goes well.
 AJM 26 Sep 2010
In reply to Franco C:

Accusing Jim of being of student age is unknowingly perhaps the most flattering thing you've ever said to anyone on UKC Franco!

Jim - sorry, couldn't resist

AJM
 ferdia 29 Sep 2010

Edinburgh University Mountaineeering Club

Meet organised by Ferdia Earle

A group of about 25 will be heading to Bowden, Northumberland this Saturday (Oct 2nd). Hopefully there will be a ratio of 2 beginners to every lead climber. Toproping will be avoided, and groups spread out to avoid route hogging.

Please come and speak to me, or have a word with whoever seems to be the lead climber of a particular group, if you have any issues or concerns.

Thank you.
 deepsoup 29 Sep 2010
In reply to ferdia:
The rock isn't *that* much harder than the soft southern variety of sandstone, in a way I think it might actually be better to top-rope (sensitively) than to lead.

Do you have a plan B? You're not going to climb there if the rock is damp right?
 Andy Moles 29 Sep 2010
In reply to deepsoup:

Since Ferdia has gone out for the day, I'll reply for her.

Plan B would be either Polney (Dunkeld) if the weather there is better, or if it's really wet probably Ratho.

We're very conscious of the sensitivity of the rock - the amount of erosion and rock scarring on some parts of Bowden is a sad sight. It's a fair point that top-roping might in some cases be better than leading - routes like Tiger's Wall are trashed from blown cam placements. The group will be as sensitive to those concerns as any other users of the crag.
 deepsoup 29 Sep 2010
In reply to andy moles:
> We're very conscious of the sensitivity of the rock
More so than most by the sound of it.
Brilliant, good on you. :O)
 mikeburf 29 Sep 2010

Plymouth University will be climbing at Sheeps Tor on Dartmoor on Saturday 9th Oct.

Usually dont see anyone other than the club there this time of year but if you want to climb something and we have a rope on it just ask.

Cheers then

Mike
 odox 30 Sep 2010
Newcastle University Mountaineering Club

A group of around 25 will be going to Kyloe Out on Saturday (Oct 2nd) then Bowden on Sunday (Oct 3rd). We're trying to liaise with the Edinburgh University club to make sure we don't both turn up to the same crag.

Obviously weather dependant, probably Sunderland wall if it's raining.

Thanks.
 hexcentric 30 Sep 2010
In reply to odox:

Cheers for the warning.

On the other hand, Have you even looked at the weather forecast? Busy sunderland wall me thinks.
 ferdia 01 Oct 2010
In reply to ferdia: Numbers have increased with last minute sign ups. The number of freshers,and lead climbers helping out, is now about 30. About 10 club members will also be driving down and climbing independently of the meet. It will be suggested some of these head to e.g. Back Bowden.
 JonnySchofield 05 Oct 2010

Hi Guys

Liverpool University Mountaineering Club will be taking a group of new climbers to Windgather Rocks on Saturday 9th October. I hope that doesn't disrupt anyones plans.

Thanks
Jonny Schofield
 mike_tibbits 06 Oct 2010

Exeter University Climbing Club is planning on climbing at Meadfoot Quarry, Daddyhole area, Torquay on Saturday 9th October (this weekend).

There will be between 12 and 15 of us, climbing using a combination of normal leading and a couple of top ropes - obviously if they're in the way, we can shift them.

Any problems on the day, please ask for me as I'll be running the event.

Thanks very much,

Mike Tibbits

Exeter University Climbing Club
 Will Hunt 07 Oct 2010

Leeds University Mountaineering Club.

Ilkley Quarry and Rocky Valley

Sunday 10th October

Shouldn't be any top roping. Trip size capped at around 30 people so shouldn't be too overcrowded.

We had some very positive comments at Stanage last weekend. If you see us and have any questions about what we do then please come and chat to us.
 David Ponting 08 Oct 2010

Clare College RATS -

Sunday 24th October
12-15 people
Stanage Plantation (or the Plantation end of Popular, we haven't decided)
 Rampikino 08 Oct 2010
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> (In reply to james.peter)
>
> So much for the future of the country if you can't even spell "October" - or "Betws-y-Coed"!

"Flatfoot" Noun. An online forum poster whose only contribution is an entry that is insulting, pedantic or derogatory and unrelated to the original post.

phildavies84 08 Oct 2010
University of Kent will probably be at Stanage and Birchen this weekend.
 ian d f 14 Oct 2010

17 oct. We (OUMC) will have about 40 people in the Peak District, mainly at Stanage (Popular and Plantation).

23 oct. We will have about 40 people at Portland, mostly at Blacknor.
 JayK 14 Oct 2010

I'm surprised to see no freshers meets to raven tor this year?
 AlistairB 14 Oct 2010
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC: Imperial College Mountaineering Club will be in the Peak this weekend with around 43 climbers. Saturday (16th) we will be based around Surprise View with climbers spread between Millstone, Lawrencefield, Secret Garden & Mother & Cap. Sunday (17th) we will head to Stanage and probably be based around the Plantation area but will spread out along the whole edge. The climbers will also be split between trad and bouldering. We're hoping to avoid top roping but if it proves to be necessary (owing to not enough trad leaders), we will use the roadside quarry at Lawrencefield for this to minimise our impact.
Voice Of Reason 14 Oct 2010
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC: Congrats to yourself for starting the thread and all the university groups who responded. I hope that every one concerned had a great time. And by the sound of it the days of huge university clubs monopolising one crag with top ropes is a thing of the past. my first contact with a uni club was at Brimham rocks when a huge group appeared and told us they were 'taking over this area so you will have to leave.'(!)(We didn't) then the following day at Ilkley thier Caving club draped caving ladders down all the classic routes and refused to move them, until an unfortunate disply of 'Whillans Diplomacy' on our part prevailed. my opinion of uni clubs was somewhat clouded by these incidents but happily over the last few years my views have been changed for the better by good grag etty-kate. good work fellas! VOR
 natalie28 14 Oct 2010

University of Cumbria , Lancaster Campus

Heading to Hutton Roof Crag - Saturday 16th October (18 people)

Weekend Trip to Peak District 22nd-24th October most likely heading to Stanage and Burbage North (will confirm nearer the time!) with 24 people.
 Sam1991 15 Oct 2010
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC: The Surrey University Mountaineering Club will be in the peak on the weekend of the 5th 6th and 7th of November. I am lead to believe that we will be taking beginners to the less popular end of stanage, ie High Neb, Stanage End, on one of the days. There was also talk of trips to lawrencefield, but no venues have been confirmed. I will probably post a seperate thread nearer the time with the exact plans. Freshers meers should be encouraged for sure, but only if they are carried out respectfully, as ours most certainly will be. I am a fresher too, but as one of the more experienced (new) members of the club, I intend to make it my business to ensure that the meet is respectful of other climbers. Please feel free to come and talk to us, approach us, whatever, if you have an issues or questions, or just fancy a chat.

Happy climbing .
 Simon Caldwell 15 Oct 2010
In reply to Voice Of Reason:

Well said. Some of the clubs who have posted in this thread have been guilty of top-rope-down-every-route syndrome in the past, but have obviously learned their lessons.

Maybe all the whingeing threads from previous years have done some good?

This year's complaints seems mainly to have been made out of habit, rather than caused by any new problems.
 Becky E 15 Oct 2010

Anyone looking at Lawrencefield for 30th/31st October, please see this thread:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=429295
 Sam Edwards 15 Oct 2010
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC

Dunno if its been mentioned before, and sorry for the lateness,

Saturday the Aberystwyth Mountaineering Club will be at Hollyhead mountain and on Sunday Tremadog Upper Tier.

Unfortunately there will be some top roping due to newbies but this will be kept to a minimum
 Will Hunt 15 Oct 2010
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to Voice Of Reason)
>
> Well said. Some of the clubs who have posted in this thread have been guilty of top-rope-down-every-route syndrome in the past, but have obviously learned their lessons.

Don't forget that the most common time of membership in a uni club is three years so unless a club keeps in touch with its old members and its history then times will change, members change and as such the club will change. They may not necessarily have learnt their lesson moreover taken their poor practice elsewhere.
 Will Hunt 15 Oct 2010

While I'm at it Leeds Uni are in Northumberland on the 23rd and 24th October. About 60 people coming but we'll be spread out over a large number of crags (The Bowdens, The Kyloes, Berryhill, possibly Simonside).

Mainly crags around Belford that might be a little busier than normal but don't expect any poor etiquette.
 mike_tibbits 16 Oct 2010

Exeter University CC will be at the following crags in the next few weeks:

Portland - Blacknor North - Sunday 17th October

Sheepstor, Dartmoor - Saturday 23rd October

Stanage Edge/Burbage North - Saturday/Sunday 30th/31st October.

Group size will be 15-20 climbers split into groups.
 grubes 18 Oct 2010
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC)
>
> Hud dersfield Uni
>
> Sat 2nd - Wharncliffe
> Sun 3rd - Dovestones Edge

Due to issues with the SU this trip was delayed.
We are now planning on going this weekend.
So:
Saturday 23 we will be at Wharncliffe
Sunday 24 Dovestones edge

There will be 16 at the most split in to twos and threes all along the crag. There will be no top roping done by the uni club, only leaders and seconds.
 sprucemoose 25 Oct 2010

Hi people, This is a heads up for people climbing in the Peak this weekend...

UCL climbing club are planning to go to stanage plantation on Saturday and froggart on Sunday. We'll do everything we can to keep out from underneath peoples feet and not monopolise routes, but if you want solitude it might be best to avoid these areas... Not that stanage would be empty on a saturday anyway.
 sprucemoose 25 Oct 2010
In reply to sprucemoose:

There'll be about 25 UCL people btw...

Hertfordshire University freshers trip.

Date: Saturday 30th - Sunday 31st October

Venue: East Peaks

Crags: Stanage End and Lawrencefield (road side bay) Saturday 30th probably plantation and bouldering on Sunday

Numbers: We're got 20 members to attending but will be split with different abilities.

Josh Denton
UHCC Treasurer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...